Sponsored by:

please Help - Check Front Right Side Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:08 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please Help - Check Front Right Side Light

I installed Rottec style DRLs about a year ago and recently got a check front right side light error on my dash. I thought it needed a resistor so I installed one and still got the error. Here is where it is really weird, I put the stock lights back on and am still getting the error so obviously something is wrong with the car itself. This is for the parking light btw.

It's strange how it happens. It works fine when you first turn on the car and then after driving for about 20 minutes the dash light goes on. What is even weirder is that if I turn on the car and the lights but don't drive it (just leave it parked) the dash light won't turn on. I just left it for 45 minutes and nothing happened. But then, thinking it was finally fixed, I took the car around the block and sure enough within a ouple of minutes it went off.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Is there a little sensor or computer or something that controls this, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

The only trouble I had with the front RotTec LED lights was with the front right one. The resistor package did the trick for me. You may need to call them (email) for the next suggestion...
Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 AM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

What is strange though is that I am no longer running the rotted lights. I am now running the stock light with the stock bulb and still getting an error so it must be my car.

Is there a control unit for the lights?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the lights are controlled by the front control module. The same unit that this is susceptible to damage from static, at least on early 997.1s. This maybe a long shot. Have you waxed or polished the car recently?

I polished some oxidation off my headlights recently and my lights started acting crazy, tail lights on all the time, error messages, etc. I cleared all the codes with Durametric and apart from not having a trunk area light everything is back to normal.
The following users liked this post:
Summerjack (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

I actually did wax my car about a month ago and that may have actually been around the time this started. I unplugged my battery for a few minutes to see if that does anything and I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Any other ideas what this can be?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 AM
PhilD
Pro

The Durametric tool can show what codes are stored and allow you to clear them. It may well be nothing to do with the front control module, I only thought of that as I just went through the same thing. Check the luggage compartment light and see if the rear tail lights are on when the engine is running (not just ignition turned on), both are indications that it may be the control module.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:32 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

Do you know where the control module is located and if it would be possible to swap it with the control module of another 997.1 in order to determine if thats the problem (there is another 997 in the family so I could just do a swap to see if thats the case).

This issue is driving me crazy, after about 25 minutes of driving the dash light goes off, doesn't fail.

Also, I noticed that when the dash light goes off, the parking light itself turns off. Does anyone know if the car cuts the power when it thinks the bulb is out or should it still be sending power?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 PM
PhilD
Pro

It is right behind the white arrow in the photo below. I had to remove the main plastic trim piece to be able to get at it. There is a cover over it also, which is a pain to get off. Be careful releasing the tabs on the connectors, they break easily!

As to trying one from another vehicle, as long as year/model/etc are the same I don't see why not, but not 100%. For mine, 2005, there are different part numbers for w/o Xenon and w/ Xenon and I believe the part number changes again for 2006 on.

I also bought a replacement, different version number to my original, but as soon I plugged it in it threw codes all over the place and turned all the lights on as soon as the ignition was turned on. Apparently it needs to be programmed by a dealer with my vehicle specifics.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to check to see if any wires are loose and possibly try swapping it to see what happens.

Any one knoe if the car cuts power to the parking bulb when it thinks it is dead?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
PhilD
Pro

I've no idea of it is that module, but that is the one that controls the lights and the fact you had the LEDs in for a year and now have the factory lights in, it would seem to suggest that it is not a problem with the lights.

If you don't have the Durametric tool, it is well worth getting, I've found it very useful in just a few weeks of having one, and it may well give you some more info on what is happening.

Can't answer the question on the power to the bulb unfortunately.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

Ok so I installed a new front control module to see if that is the culprate and its not. Any other possibilities. Its definitely not the lights, I'm pretty sure it's not the connection between the light and the module, and its not the module.

Anyone know how the car's system works for the bulb check? like what parts are involved (any other computers?)

Any help would really be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 PM
PhilD
Pro

Sorry to hear the problem still persists. Do you have any other LEDs, side markers, tails? A bad ground could be a possibility. Not really sure what else to suggest.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

No other LEDs. Thanks for all your help btw!

Does anyone know how it all works. Like for example what computer is determining that a bulb is out. Is the front control module doing this or is it being done at the dash or is there some other computer between them. I'm just trying to narrow down the possible culprites.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

My little card pops out the inner clip but it still will not come out. Can't get the housing out to change the bulbs.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
My little card pops out the inner clip but it still will not come out. Can't get the housing out to change the bulbs.
there is an addition lip on the inner clip that keeps the light from falling out of the bumper when it is dislodged.
I use a long plastic trim removal tool to press in on the clip where it is still touching the inner bumper in the same area where you put the card. pressing in will release the housing the rest of the way. screw driver with protective tape on the end will do just as well.

Quick Reply: please Help - Check Front Right Side Light