Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   CrossDrilledBrakes.com ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/778900-crossdrilledbrakes-com.html)

atx.911 09-29-2013 06:37 PM

CrossDrilledBrakes.com ?

Anybody ever bought brakes from these guys? I searched for some reviews and info but couldn't find anything. They seem much cheaper than all the others.

Cross Drilled Brakes .com

Fred R. C4S 09-29-2013 07:36 PM

"Machined in the USA!" Code speak for Made in China out of who knows what. If there's one place you don't want to go bottom fishing it's your brakes! OEM, Zimmerman, GiroDisc, Brembo....there are so many good options why buy the cheapest when you should be shopping for the safest?

alexb76 09-29-2013 08:36 PM

Stay away, who knows who makes the actual rotors. There are many reputable companies... if you don't wanna go Porsche brand, try Pelican parts, they have proper alternative OEM parts, or ESC tuning, or any other companies catering towards Porsche, Audi, VW parts.

PelicanParts.com 09-30-2013 03:04 PM

If you are interested in shopping rotors for your 997 from Pelican, we offer brands such as Genuine Porsche, Sebro and Zimmermann among others.

Click here for further details.

If interested in rotor replacement instructions, follow our step-by-step:
Replacing Porsche 911 Carrera Brake Discs

Mark/Pelican Parts

Bijan 09-30-2013 07:21 PM

My understanding of Porsche "drilled" rotors is that they are cast that way. Drilling cast rotors will cut across their natural crystal structure during casting and weaken them.

Petza914 10-02-2013 02:11 PM

Brakes

If you're looking for front rotors for a 997.1 S car, I just bought a set of slotted ones made by dba (Disc Brakes Austrailia). They have a unique venting pattern and are being sold a quite a discount right now from www.topbrakes.com - almost at OEM replacement cost, but they're a two piece with a separate aluminum hat and steel rotor just like the big boys use like Brembo, Giro, etc. I'm pairing these with some Hawk HPS pads and should be installing them in the next couple weeks.

sjfehr 10-02-2013 03:34 PM

I source my cross-drilled brake-lines exclusively from kaleco.

http://kalecoauto.com/

iammulva 10-02-2013 03:57 PM

I was bored and curious so I looked at their site (crossdrilledbrakes.com). They have an online chat so I asked the guy some questions. I didn't ask too much because I didn't know what to ask. But here's what I got....

In business 5 years
Makes their own rotors from blanks which come from overseas.
Cast using G3000 casting.
Holes not cast in but drilled after.

AP997S 10-02-2013 04:04 PM

Braking is more important then speed. Don't take chances! Buy either from Porsche or some recognized supplier. Stop Tech might be a good place to start.

iammulva 10-02-2013 04:14 PM

Was reading a post on VWVortex forum. Guy claiming to be metallurgist was discussing many ways that rotors can be produced cheaply and badly. Sounded convincing to me especially given the fact that, from the outside, the rotors mostly look the same (at least to me).

Maybe they would work fine, maybe they would wear out or crack sooner, maybe they would not have any major/catastrophic isssues at all, but I wouldn't try to save $400(ish) dollars to find out. Regardless of whether it is a Porsche or Toyota.

Wiper blades? Yes.
Brakes? No.

atx.911 10-21-2013 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by iammulva (Post 10801220)
Was reading a post on VWVortex forum. Guy claiming to be metallurgist was discussing many ways that rotors can be produced cheaply and badly. Sounded convincing to me especially given the fact that, from the outside, the rotors mostly look the same (at least to me).

Maybe they would work fine, maybe they would wear out or crack sooner, maybe they would not have any major/catastrophic isssues at all, but I wouldn't try to save $400(ish) dollars to find out. Regardless of whether it is a Porsche or Toyota.

Wiper blades? Yes.
Brakes? No.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Won't chance it!

alexb76 10-21-2013 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by atx.911 (Post 10845140)
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Won't chance it!

Good call. Go with OEM suppliers and you'd be happy.

lowcoaster 10-21-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sjfehr (Post 10801099)
I source my cross-drilled brake-lines exclusively from kaleco.

http://kalecoauto.com/

That's a new one...

The thought had never crossed my mind to cross drill my brake lines.

:eek:

iammulva 10-21-2013 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by lowcoaster (Post 10845370)
That's a new one...

The thought had never crossed my mind to cross drill my brake lines.

:eek:

Oh yeah, if you cross drill the lines then pressure won't build up. Makes it less likely to catastrophically fail.

utkinpol 10-21-2013 02:28 PM

you can put slotted sebro into rear axle, for front use stock oem or Zimmerman.
generally it is cheaper and simpler to use stock drilled OEM for front rather than more expensive slotted.