Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on my new car purchase please

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts

It's amazing these things are happening in high end car dealerships....Wow! Good luck and keep us posted. Keep the pressure....
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer7
When I decided on purchasing my porsche, I didn't even give the other models a glance, I always wanted a 911
Exp7 - You are a dream customer and should be treated as such. What's telling is the treatment you've received after paying in full. A class operation would lay out the red carpet for you but the lesson is never pay more than absolutely needed so that you maintain your negotiating leverage.

Kudos to you for sticking to your guns and I trust that your Agate Grey 911 will be delivered in due time. And keep up the pressure if Rector doesn't bend over for you [figure of speech that also applies to ladies] Dave
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
It's amazing these things are happening in high end car dealerships....Wow! Good luck and keep us posted. Keep the pressure....
I know.. I was stunned too. I will for sure.. I hope that this will turn out well. I don't have time for these kinds of shenanigans.

Originally Posted by dasams
Exp7 - You are a dream customer and should be treated as such. What's telling is the treatment you've received after paying in full. A class operation would lay out the red carpet for you but the lesson is never pay more than absolutely needed so that you maintain your negotiating leverage.

Kudos to you for sticking to your guns and I trust that your Agate Grey 911 will be delivered in due time. And keep up the pressure if Rector doesn't bend over for you [figure of speech that also applies to ladies] Dave
You would think so.. but they actually said, (more than once) that this happens all the time. Its Burlingame after all and customers walk in all the time paying cash for their cars. That was in answer to commenting that they should be pretty happy with me because I pay in full. This was before all the troubles happened. I was making conversation.. but its no big deal to them. And they could have easily kept that snooty answer to themselves.

lol btw.. so I am not the only one that noticed the odd name and its relation

I just hope that this will all work out. Their silence today, speaks volumes. And yes, lesson learned .. .
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're being a tad hard on yourself - the only difference is the delivery date, and you chose a different color subsequent to giving them a deposit from what I understand, so a delivery change should be expected. I wouldn't consider that "being taken advantage of".
Call your salesman, and tell him you want to confirm the details of the car you bought, and will stop by for a few minutes this weekend. No lawyer or bad attitude - be pleasant.
I would hope they would treat you like royalty as someone said, as this is likely where you'll get the car serviced, so maintaining the relationship as a VIP customer is important.
Make sure your delivery is confirmed for the color and options you want, and ask for some sort of written confirmation of that. After all, you've paid for it, and deserve to know exactly what is going on.
Since you're German, take a week or 2 off, see the family, then take factory delivery, break it in on the Autobahn, and make it an experience of a lifetime!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by PHX 911
I think you're being a tad hard on yourself - the only difference is the delivery date, and you chose a different color subsequent to giving them a deposit from what I understand, so a delivery change should be expected. I wouldn't consider that "being taken advantage of".
Call your salesman, and tell him you want to confirm the details of the car you bought, and will stop by for a few minutes this weekend. No lawyer or bad attitude - be pleasant.
I would hope they would treat you like royalty as someone said, as this is likely where you'll get the car serviced, so maintaining the relationship as a VIP customer is important.
Make sure your delivery is confirmed for the color and options you want, and ask for some sort of written confirmation of that. After all, you've paid for it, and deserve to know exactly what is going on.
Since you're German, take a week or 2 off, see the family, then take factory delivery, break it in on the Autobahn, and make it an experience of a lifetime!
I tried that .. I totally understand a delay if there is a color change.. even with the 10 day grace period I was given.. but they are very clear, that no changes are accepted at this point. Parts have been pulled and only way to get the color I want is to place a new order. I told them, ok, new order it is and they came back with no allocation and they dont know if they even have one in December which would delay the car till February..
They don't want to start a new order and will not update my current car/order.
I basically have no eta on my car if I insist on my Agate grey.

lol I would love to do that ... but alas, I just had two vacations this year going to germany and france (love Paris)
That was before I started my new job at my dream company.
so, no new vacations for me for a little while
Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

They want you to buy this car because a fully loaded C4S that costs as much as a turbo (which for the record is also a 911) will sit on their lot for a long time. They will most likely have to sell this car for much less than you are paying for it.

You had a verbal agreement and they backed out. I'd go to another dealer and spec out the car you want, be a firm negotiator and get it for $5k less to cover the deposit you lost.

Then if you are so inclined take the original dealer to small claims for your deposit.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
1) This post should be in the 991 forum.
2) If you are paying $186k for a car, you should get exactly what you want.
3) You should also get your head examined for paying $186k for a C4S.
4) If I had $186k burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a Turbo or Turbo S
+1... or GT3. But, to be fair to OP, the new pricing of 991 is absolutely insane if you optioned it heavily! Quite ridiculous!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:08 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Ok, I just read all of the posts, and what a SAD story, and a shame!

Here is what I recommend:

1. CANCEL THE ORDER ASAP. There is no reason for you to deal with this dealer. Tell them if they don't you will sue, it works in America! Do NOT believe them when they say they will not return your money, that's complete BS!
2. DO NOT deal with this dealer, EVER. It really sounds like they have taken advantage of a non-local and have also shoved a lot of options on your car that you may or may not really want/enjoy
3. Come back here (or on 991 forum), and let's option your car correctly with the help of others. I really think you are paying WAY TOO MUCH for this car, and at 184K, you should get a much higher end 911.

I wish you good luck, if I was in CA, I'd literally come with you to the dealer and yell at them! Hate when sales reps take advantage of ladies!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Explorer7
I tried that .. I totally understand a delay if there is a color change.. even with the 10 day grace period I was given.. but they are very clear, that no changes are accepted at this point. Parts have been pulled and only way to get the color I want is to place a new order. I told them, ok, new order it is and they came back with no allocation and they dont know if they even have one in December which would delay the car till February..
They don't want to start a new order and will not update my current car/order.
I basically have no eta on my car if I insist on my Agate grey.

lol I would love to do that ... but alas, I just had two vacations this year going to germany and france (love Paris)
That was before I started my new job at my dream company.
so, no new vacations for me for a little while
So, can you cancel the last order and order a new one? If so, obviously you miss the December allocation... so who cares! for 186K, I'd get what I want. As I said earlier, for your 2nd order, come back so we can help with optioning it.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

This thread is a head-shaker, period...on so many levels
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Explorer,
Glad you came on here vs the general discussion forum as there is not a lot of life over there. The 991 forum would be even better but you may find a more vocal and enthusiastic crowd here among the 997 crew.
I agree with Alex above, if you are not getting exactly what you want I would cancel the order and request a full refund. Tell the GM (not the salesperson) that you will take your business elsewhere if they can't accomodate you.
Also, I know you have specked out your car the way you want it but you should keep in mind that the depreciation on a fully loaded C4S will be more severe than a Turbo that may not have every option.
If that is of no concern to you then, great, buy it and enjoy.
You should just know that you will not get your money out of all the options you have checked off.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Dave
Ya' know, things are changing. My sales guy tells me a lot of things he probably shouldn't. Maybe it is because he's a car guy and selling Porsches is a second career after he retired from his first - one which required customer relations, so he understands that selling high end cars is about relationships. Anyway, we were talking (and I don't want to be too specific here because this is a public forum) and he intimated that PCNA was moving toward a Ferrari sales model. That is, you identify preferred customers and you treat them differently. So, you can walk into a dealership, drop $200K for a Turbo S, and that means nothing because you're not in that special group. To the extent that salesmen treat you right is a function of their own good will and does not come from The Top.

So, sad to say, regardless of how much we spend, we can't expect to be treated special anymore - unless you have a salesman who cares about relationships.

Sorry for the drift.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Ya' know, things are changing. My sales guy tells me a lot of things he probably shouldn't. Maybe it is because he's a car guy and selling Porsches is a second career after he retired from his first - one which required customer relations, so he understands that selling high end cars is about relationships. Anyway, we were talking (and I don't want to be too specific here because this is a public forum) and he intimated that PCNA was moving toward a Ferrari sales model. That is, you identify preferred customers and you treat them differently. So, you can walk into a dealership, drop $200K for a Turbo S, and that means nothing because you're not in that special group. To the extent that salesmen treat you right is a function of their own good will and does not come from The Top.

So, sad to say, regardless of how much we spend, we can't expect to be treated special anymore - unless you have a salesman who cares about relationships.

Sorry for the drift.
If that's the case then people stop spending 200K in Porsche. Honestly if I was in the OP's shoes and this was my first Porsche, I'd be so pissed off that not only I'd take my business away form that dealer but maybe altogether from Porsche. Pretty appalling treatment for someone spending 186K.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Mudcat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Domer911
This thread is a head-shaker, period...on so many levels
+1 Thinking the same thing!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:52 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

Dear All,

Great news! Today, I finally got an email from the manager Craig .. (4 days later)

Pasted:
“Good Morning ..(insert my name…)
I was at an off site meeting and could not respond to your email yesterday. (where was he Monday and Tuesday?)
Here is the best way I can explain the sequence of events. Porsche has taken great strides in improving the order system for the Porsche Centers. This was designed to improve client communications on delivery , order dates, and vehicle status. However, we as a Porsche Centre can only rely on the information given to us. In your situation, the Order System "locked down" quicker than anticipated and the confusion began. I am sorry for that confusion, but James's goal was to get the soonest allocation to you as he could. We are always limited to how many vehicles we are allocated, and in this case, he changed an existing allocation to expedite the order.
However, I was able to get to the right people to make the changes. I attached your order for your review. I was told by Porsche that I can not make any more changes after this time. Again, thank you for your patience.
Craig M… “

He did not indicate a actual approximate delivery month…

I replied to his email (in a nutshell) that I am glad that they were able to fix the configuration to what was promised at the time of the sale and that they did not make me pay for an error on their side.
I requested a reply with the delivery timeline because it was not given and I can’t assume it is the same as my allocated vehicle (end of November/beg Dec) as well as a copy of a receipt showing the payment in full. (The money as wired via bank account transfer)

To be honest, I don’t think they would have budged with the white old configuration if I had not stuck to my guns and called their bluff by saying.. “Ok a new order it is, even if I have to wait”

Their return reply was, as you know, that the new delivery would be February and not even guaranteed (I think trying to scare me, especially knowing how eager I was to take delivery of this car asap)

Me writing on the Porsche facebook page and a few letters to headquarters including an email supplied by the Porsche FB reply, must have triggered something … because I finally got a positive reply with a proper solution 24 hours later.

Funny enough, an hour after I confirmed via email (reply to Craig) that the configuration he send me was correct as purchased on Saturday, I got a call from Porsche customer relations to check on my situation. (I am sorry to have missed the call because of a meeting, but they left a voicemail)

I might be a pretty trusting person and far too excited and happy about my purchase, but I can smell bull**** when it is presented to me. There was a lot of it coming from that dealership.

My guess is that Rector Motor Company was contacted and instead of forcing me into a configuration I did not agree to and pay for, made to fix the situation.

There were so many conflicting statements that James made an I called him on via numerous emails since Monday.. I truly believe that if I had not written all those emails to corporate headquarters, the customer service email provided on Facebook after my post there.. and maybe even this forum (There has to be some Porsche reps watching forums like this, but since I am so new, I am only guessing)
I don’t think I would have gotten this result.

It seem they tried to scare me into a very late delivery to go with the white version. As well as their dubious claim that they had no allocations and perhaps one for Christmas. (Which I was planning to have checked on by sending by friends to pose as buyers)

I want to thank those that have been so kind to reply with suggestions and supportive comments. The past couple of days have not been easy for me and it really helped. Normally, I don’t have time for this kind of thing and I tried very hard not to let this affect my work.

At this time, the only thing unanswered is the actual delivery schedule..

Thank you everyone for being so supportive.. I will be spending a lot of time on this forum getting educated on my dream car, to learn as much as possible about it.
Being female, I have to admit, I know very little about this amazing car except that I love to drive, consider myself a very good driver (educated on the German Highway) and I am a quick study.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get a decent delivery timeframe communicated soon so I can finally relax and no longer worry about this ridiculous situation.

Here is a big "Girl Hug" in much, much thanks from Explorer for everyone that has been so sweet to support me !

Quick Reply: Advise on my new car purchase please