Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   PS2 vs Super Sports? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/776495-ps2-vs-super-sports.html)

entdoc 09-14-2013 10:46 AM

PS2 vs Super Sports?

I need new tires and would like to go Michelin this time (currently have Pirellis).

I've read the positive posts about the Super Sports but they're not N rated.

I'm (sort of) happy to pay extra for the PS2s but my tire dealer says that they're going to be discontinued and I might have a problem finding replacement tires in the future should I need to replace a flat.

Any thoughts???

chuckla 09-14-2013 10:52 AM

SS for sure

Have been buying PS2's for a long time. Bought my first set of SS this Spring. A noticeable upgrade in handling and ride comfort.

docfink 09-14-2013 05:52 PM

I agree with chuckla. The Supersports seem to be a much improved tire. What's especially noticeable to me is the quieter ride with less tire roar. I wouldn't hesitate going with them--they're plain better.

Comanche_699 09-14-2013 10:21 PM

+3 on above. I've just ordered a set of Super Sports to replace my well worn PS2's. Putting them on on Wednesday.

I've been reading a lot about the N Ratings (0-5) and I think it may be just a matter of time before Porsche signs off on the N Rating for the SS.

Most of the speculation around why they aren't already N Rated seems to revolve around their "very" cold weather performance. Not really a consideration for my use in California, but if you're in much cooler climates you could either swap to winter tires in the winter or "try" to keep your speeds under 186 when it's freezing out... Haha

Get 'em. I'm sure they're going to be great.

yemenmocha 09-14-2013 11:26 PM

I have PS2's on my 997 and SS's on my M3. They're both nice so can't go wrong here.

Docofthebay 09-14-2013 11:32 PM

I went from pirellis to the super sports. I love them! Quiet, softer ride but still excellent handling.

dasams 09-15-2013 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by entdoc (Post 10760538)
I've read the positive posts about the Super Sports but they're not N rated.

You're concerned about the lack of N rating? Nothing magic about it IMO.

alexb76 09-16-2013 02:07 AM

Dry handling after they heat up is about the same, Super Sports are better in wet, and work better cold, and have a better tire wear rating.

So, if you want N-rated to be safe, PS2, otherwise, MPSS is a great replacement.

mjsporsche 09-16-2013 09:14 AM

I have new set of PS2s on my 997. The dealer was able to give me a killer deal because I had a slow leak in one of my N1s and only N2s were available. Porsche paid for 3 N2s tires; I paid for one.

Porsche is so exact about its tires that they would not mix N1 and N2. I think it is more than "magic" as to how Porsche designates its tires. It is more about Porsche's rigorous testing and desire for optimum performance. But for 99% of us, those standards are rarely needed when we drive our cars.

slicky rick 09-16-2013 09:59 AM

Mpss. No turning back. Its simply a better tire! In every aspect, unless you fond of road rumble then stick with ps2's. with mpss i now hear the engine more than the road.

dw.metro 09-16-2013 11:05 AM

What is the recommended temperature use rating for the MPSS tire?

garyinseattle 09-16-2013 11:52 AM

Just switched last Friday from Pirellis to MPSS. As all have said, significant improvement in ride and noise.

As a side, I switched from Bridgestone to MPS'2, N rated and saw a big improvment also. Not sure I can comment yet on MPSS v MPS's.

slicky rick 09-16-2013 03:32 PM

All comments based on an actual shift from mps2 to mpss.

mjsporsche 09-16-2013 06:44 PM

It is so nice that some of you view the MPSS as softer and quieter compared to the PS2s. Are we talking about Porsche or Lexus? If you want better traction in the rain and colder weather, go with an all-season tire. Real men drive on PS2s! :D ;)

On a serious note, the MPSS is an excellent tire but for $600 more for a set of real tires, I would go with the PS2s. Damn...did it again.

BoxsterG 09-16-2013 09:32 PM

Had them both multiple times and prefer to save the money. Very happy with the MPSS as I dont track my car or accelerate to 182 MPH.