Sponsored by:

Beep When Locking Doors All of a Sudden

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Breeks
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beep When Locking Doors All of a Sudden

I have 2010 911S and all of a sudden the car starting beeping when it locks. It has never done this before just flashed lights.

Yesterday it starting beeping, not with the main horn but a secondary horn that sounds like a VW horn

I thought this had to be programed by the dealer to work?

Not sure if I like it or not but its kinda strange that it just started doing it.

Maybe its a glitch like the Porsche logo that sometimes shows when you start the car (997.2)
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Breeks
I have 2010 911S and all of a sudden the car starting beeping when it locks. It has never done this before just flashed lights.

Yesterday it starting beeping, not with the main horn but a secondary horn that sounds like a VW horn

I thought this had to be programed by the dealer to work?

Not sure if I like it or not but its kinda strange that it just started doing it.

Maybe its a glitch like the Porsche logo that sometimes shows when you start the car (997.2)
Beep on arm indicates a fault like the glove box being open or the hood being open. I'm assuming you don't have an aftermarket device like remote key that can add the beep function to arm/disarm - BTW dealer cannot program it. So check your glove box since hood being ajar usually gives another warning. See page 24 or thereabouts in your owner's manual.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Breeks
4th Gear

Checked all three and they are closed. Even locked the glove box. All are tight and still beeping like a VW

No aftermarket, everything is stock.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Checked all three and they are closed. Even locked the glove box. All are tight and still beeping like a VW

No aftermarket, everything is stock.
The beeping can be a sign of a problem with the car's security system. It can be a bad switch that fails to report a closed door, or a closed trunk or engine compartment lid or even a closed console or glove box lid or door.

Sometimes one of these switches fails.

(I had one, well, not the switch exactly it was the door lock assembly, fail and one of the symptoms was the car beeping like something was open. I'd close the center console lid and that would "fix" it. I thought it was a bad console lid switch but other symptoms appeared later and it turned out to be the passenger door lock assembly.)

Another cause is water gets in the car.

Did you just wash the car? (I see you are from CA so I know it didn't just rain...)

The water can get in the door -- shake the doors and listen for sloshing water -- and feel along the door bottoms for dampness.

Or the water can come in from blocked water drains. Check the floor board carpets for any dampness. Under the passenger's seat is where the security alarm system control module is located. Dampness under the passenger seat can cause all sorts of problems.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:43 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Coincidentally, my did the same thing for a day last weekend. Then it stopped and returned to its silent ways. Didn't know about the other causes posted above so I'll have to check it out if it recurs. dave
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Breeks
4th Gear

Just washed the car but was beeping before. Will check some more and if still beeping next week drop by dealer and see what they say. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Beep When Locking Doors All of a Sudden