Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   New to me 997.2 Targa 4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/776355-new-to-me-997-2-targa-4-a.html)

tommy618 09-13-2013 01:09 PM

New to me 997.2 Targa 4

1 Attachment(s)
Two small kids and full on midlife crisis. What to do? I'm fortunate enough to have an understanding wife that allowed me to buy a 2009 Targa 4 a few weeks ago. So far enjoying it very much. It's got 25k miles so far and it has PDK and sport chrono plus amongst other options.

One thing I noticed is that the tire pressure shown on the dash is 42 front and 50 back. This is from the dealer but isn't it too high? On Michelin website it states should be 36/44. How accurate is the electronic pressure monitors on these things? If its accurate, why dealer inflate so much? How much damage from me driving 300 miles on it over-inflated?

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to being a long time member. :rockon:

Targa Tim 09-13-2013 01:33 PM

congrats, kids up to 10yo can fit the rear seat OK.

use a manual gauge to calibrate the pressure yourself. From my cars, all TPMS are quite accurate.

ECS Tuning 09-13-2013 01:52 PM

Welcome and congratulations on the purchase Tommy!! We must have a few more pictures of this beauty ;) I would consider a LED Interior Kit so you can show case that interior. Enjoy, you have a great looking car.

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/297094_x600.jpg

dasams 09-13-2013 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by tommy618 (Post 10758477)
One thing I noticed is that the tire pressure shown on the dash is 42 front and 50 back.

My TPMS is within 1 psi of my gauge. Note that the 37/44 psi on the sticker on the driver's door is for a full load at high speed. Read the second sticker and it says you can run lower pressure for a more comfortable ride (it's also covered in the manual). I run 33/39 cold.

Your first mod should be to replace the amber turn signal indicators with clear.

BIG smoke 09-13-2013 04:59 PM

Midlife Crisis?

NO ! Its been very constant !

Porsche is cheaper than a girlfriend.

rotesAuto 09-13-2013 05:04 PM

very nice! and more pix! :)

Two small kids and full on midlife crisis. What to do? I'm fortunate enough to have an understanding wife that allowed me to buy a 2009 Targa 4 a few weeks ago. So far enjoying it very much. It's got 25k miles so far and it has PDK and sport chrono plus amongst other options.

One thing I noticed is that the tire pressure shown on the dash is 42 front and 50 back. This is from the dealer but isn't it too high? On Michelin website it states should be 36/44. How accurate is the electronic pressure monitors on these things? If its accurate, why dealer inflate so much? How much damage from me driving 300 miles on it over-inflated?

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to being a long time member. :rockon:

beautiful!! :thumbup::thumbup:of course I'm partial to this color :) and miss the Targa I had very much sometimes, it's a great car: widebody, big roof, the bump in power.....
very nice grab!!
I couldn't help chuckling about how you said your wife "allowed" you to buy a Porsche...:surr:

anyway, rack up some miles and enjoy!!!!!:rockon:

Jaws1 09-13-2013 05:16 PM

If its accurate, why dealer inflate so much? How much damage from me driving 300 miles on it over-inflated?

In my experience, all dealers tend to over-inflate the tires. One of life's great mysteries. As has already mentioned, I find the TPMS to closely match my trusty guage. Minimal damage over 300 mi, but correct it soon.

Congrats. Fantastic looking car.

GSIRM3 09-13-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jaws1 (Post 10759101)
In my experience, all dealers tend to over-inflate the tires. One of life's great mysteries. As has already mentioned, I find the TPMS to closely match my trusty guage. Minimal damage over 300 mi, but correct it soon.

Congrats. Fantastic looking car.

You're right that many dealers inflate the tires to pressures for full load conditions. But, I do not think it is a mystery. I think they do it for liability reasons. Since they don't know how you will use the car, they fill the tires to pressures for max load conditions so that they won't get sued if someone goes out and has a blow out running tires at partial load pressures when in fact using the car under full load conditions.

Same logic applies to reason the door sticker gives pressures for full load conditions. In that case, to protect the manufacturer.

I think OP said he has a C4 and not a C4S. I don't know if he has 18 or 19 inch wheels, but I think the pressures for 18 and 19 are different.

BIG smoke 09-13-2013 05:32 PM

I would think that 42 and 50 psi, it would ride like a dump truck. I run the recommended unloaded pressures on the door jam.

david 09-13-2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BIG smoke (Post 10759065)
Midlife Crisis?

NO ! Its been very constant !

Porsche is cheaper than a girlfriend.

Very funny...and so very true!

While owning these cars is cheaper than having a GF/SO, methinks that the only "thing" that makes owning P-cars better (for the guys) is having some nice legs on the navigator....just got to remember that extended viewing is forbidden (when in gear). :D

OP: Your (family's) new Targa is gorgeous! I can see your kids trying to climb in through the hatch now! :)

Use it in good health...and more pics!!!

tommy618 09-13-2013 09:38 PM

My responses to a few posts:

Yes, changing out the amber turns lights to clear will be my first mod.

I'm going to lower the tire pressure and report back on how it feels afterwards. Expecting the ride to be better and softer. I'm still scratching my head why dealer would over inflate so much.

I think I would have gotten the car regardless (midlife crisis) but it was certainly better that my wife gave the thumbs up. Spending that kind of money without her approval would have been foolish. She has her ways to make my life miserable. I mean, really really miserable. It's also a good thing that my 3 year son likes riding in it over our Infiniti JX35. My 8 month old daughter will have to wait until she can sit in a front facing child seat before she can ride the pcar.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

chris.hanle 09-13-2013 10:07 PM

I had been planning a 911 long before mid life. I installed an airbag deactivation switch/key so the airbag will not explode no matter what the weight in the front (when it is in the off position). But I mostly drive it alone anyway. Congrats and drive.

cv997 09-13-2013 10:58 PM

Very nice color combo. Is that natural brown or sand beige?

tommy618 09-13-2013 11:12 PM

Meteor gray and black interior. No choices on color as this was the only 997.2 Targa I found within a reasonable price range. Some Targas on the market now is asking for ridiculous prices compared to other 911s.

theporscheguy 09-13-2013 11:12 PM

Great looking 997. My son fit in the back seat for several years, besides your children will enjoy the ride as well. Enjoy.