Sponsored by:

Rear tire wear and camber?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear tire wear and camber?

Received my Fister mufflers from FD Motorsports and put them on this weekend. They are awesome , but that's for another post...

When I pulled the rear wheels off, I was a little surprised at the wear on the inside of the tire. In fact, I'm glad I did the exhaust this weekend because the passenger tire is showing cords in a couple places. (sorry for crappy iPhone pic)

I was able to get two new rear tires ordered and ready to install Monday morning, but the question I have is do I need to look at having an alignment or the camber adjusted on the rear? If the camber is appropriate so the car performs better, then I'm okay, just need to be aware in the future that I need to get a better look at the inside of the tire to truly see where they are in overall wear.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My info and experience is incorrect toe in is the blame for that kind of wear.

Both of my Porsches have the standard amount of rear negative camber and yet get good tire life. Over 20K miles for the rear tires before the last set in the case of my Turbo.

When you get new rear tires fitted, fill the gas tank full, empty the car of junk, be sure the tool kit and spare tire (if applicable) are installed and secured correctly and then get the car treated to a proper alignment.

Get before and after numbers along with a print out that shows graphically what the setting limits are and what the settings actually are.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
Received my Fister mufflers from FD Motorsports and put them on this weekend. They are awesome , but that's for another post...

When I pulled the rear wheels off, I was a little surprised at the wear on the inside of the tire. In fact, I'm glad I did the exhaust this weekend because the passenger tire is showing cords in a couple places. (sorry for crappy iPhone pic)

I was able to get two new rear tires ordered and ready to install Monday morning, but the question I have is do I need to look at having an alignment or the camber adjusted on the rear? If the camber is appropriate so the car performs better, then I'm okay, just need to be aware in the future that I need to get a better look at the inside of the tire to truly see where they are in overall wear.

Thanks in advance.
That's exactly how the rears have worn on both my 997's. Every imaginable adjustment including alignments have been made and I'm still lucky to get 10K miles on the rears.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Right rear on mine looks like that but no cord showing yet. I'm pretty sure it's called "cupping". 13,000 miles on the tires from the factory and 4 years old. Going with all new tires and have my non-dealer Porsche specialty shop do the alignment. Hoping it is all alignment. Anxious to see the before and after numbers.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how they wear. Both insides go with the left rear in RHD markets, and the right rear in LHD markets which is largely due to the camber in the road. By the look of your tread wear bars there is nothing unusual it is just that you have let it go a long way.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:59 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is your car lowered too?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

If you take corners more aggressively you'll find that the wear pattern will be more evenly dispersed. These cars have the camber required to keep the heavy back end from swinging around on you.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:08 PM
BigThistle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I do have PSS9 Bilstein coilovers, GT3 swaybars, GT3 ride height and corner balanced, I run at -1 front camber with .02 toe and -1.5 rear camber with .14 toe and get no discernible inner rear wear. 19" wheels on my 997 Carrera 3.6

And I don't brake much on corners, so maybe something to do with evenly dispersing tire wear, (great excuse and I'm sticking to it).

FYI also recently changed from my favorite Bridgestone RE050's to my new favorite Michelin Pilot Supersports.......can't get these unstuck and they are OUTSTANDING in wet weather.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Marshal_Mercer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's exactly how the rears have worn on both my 997's. Every imaginable adjustment including alignments have been made and I'm still lucky to get 10K miles on the rears.
+1
Old 09-08-2013, 02:04 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BigThistle
And I don't brake much on corners, so maybe something to do with evenly dispersing tire wear, (great excuse and I'm sticking to it).
My thought exactly.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
If you take corners more aggressively you'll find that the wear pattern will be more evenly dispersed. These cars have the camber required to keep the heavy back end from swinging around on you.
Funny I have had a couple of guys tell me to drive it harder and the wear will be more even
Old 09-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
is your car lowered too?
No it's not.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAVU
Right rear on mine looks like that but no cord showing yet. I'm pretty sure it's called "cupping". 13,000 miles on the tires from the factory and 4 years old. Going with all new tires and have my non-dealer Porsche specialty shop do the alignment. Hoping it is all alignment. Anxious to see the before and after numbers.
Taking it to an independent shop North of Pittsburgh tomorrow to have the new tires done. Will get the numbers from them and post.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Kevin Phillips
Intermediate

Although I do have PSS9 Bilstein coilovers, GT3 swaybars, GT3 ride height and corner balanced, I run at -1 front camber with .02 toe and -1.5 rear camber with .14 toe and get no discernible inner rear wear. 19" wheels on my 997 Carrera 3.6

FYI also recently changed from my favorite Bridgestone RE050's to my new favorite Michelin Pilot Supersports.......can't get these unstuck and they are OUTSTANDING in wet weather.
Since I'm only doing the rears this time around I went with the RE050's again. I'm considering changing the next time I have to replace both. I use this as my daily driver (long commute) and take it out for track weekends so I'll put 15k miles on it by next summer and need a full set by then.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

tsk tsk tsk If you don't have to brake for the corners, you're clearly not driving hard enough!

Different Porsche, but I've maxed out my camber and it still isn't enough; I wear out the outside of my tires well before the inside. Looks exactly the reverse of the tires in this thread.

Quick Reply: Rear tire wear and camber?