Sponsored by:

997.1 misfiring on all cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.1 misfiring on all cylinders

Friend of mine scanned with the Durametric after a CEL came up about a week ago. CEL appeared while coasting through a parking lot at work after being parked all day. No performance issues whatsoever since the CEL appeared. I'm covered under CPO until January. Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

covered by warranty....bring it in.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

a buck says it's MAF. unplug that little bastard and start car again. if running smooth(er) then it's the MAF. either way, yeah bring it in asap since it warranty.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

First I agree with the others: under CPO? Take the car in.

What will likely happen is absent any untoward behavior from the engine the tech will read then clear the codes and advise you to drive the car. If the codes come back bring the car back.

That's a lot of misfires. Would have to be a common failure I would think. What's common to all cylinders? Well, as another poster mentioned there's the MAF.

Based on what I gather misfires from MAF are not that common. Usually a bad or going bad MAF makes itself known by other error codes related to fuel adjustment limits.

But the MAF needs to be considered. A nice thing too is if it is the MAF the misfire codes or possibly even other codes will appear and that's that.

How many miles on the car? Do you drive it in all kinds of weather? Did the weather change from when the car was parked to when you started the engine again?

I had two misfire incidents from cars one just sitting out overnight in a heavy fog (and another time sitting out overnight in heavy rain storm) or another time when the day that was nice and dry and warm turned into a cold damp night.

I'm thinking coils of course.

If plugs are due or close to being due to be changed (if not on miles then on time) you might have the plugs changed and at the same time the tech can inspect the coils and advise you. If they are in fact the cause of the misfires their condition should obviously reflect this.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

based on the service history of my car this had happened once.... all spark plugs needed replacing (work done at pfaff) was the major culprit.

Originally Posted by zer026T
Friend of mine scanned with the Durametric after a CEL came up about a week ago. CEL appeared while coasting through a parking lot at work after being parked all day. No performance issues whatsoever since the CEL appeared. I'm covered under CPO until January. Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM
zer026T
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster
What will likely happen is absent any untoward behavior from the engine the tech will read then clear the codes and advise you to drive the car. If the codes come back bring the car back.
Cleared the codes, will wait to see if they come back. Will still put another 2k-3k miles on the car before winter (before the CPO expires).

How many miles on the car? Do you drive it in all kinds of weather? Did the weather change from when the car was parked to when you started the engine again?
27k miles.. Wet/dry driving in above freezing temperatures.

If plugs are due or close to being due to be changed (if not on miles then on time) you might have the plugs changed and at the same time the tech can inspect the coils and advise you. If they are in fact the cause of the misfires their condition should obviously reflect this.
Coils were done last year (several cracked). Is it plausible the plugs would all throw misfire codes within the week since the CEL appeared?

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
a buck says it's MAF. unplug that little bastard and start car again. if running smooth(er) then it's the MAF. either way, yeah bring it in asap since it warranty.
That's where I'm leaning at this point..
Old 10-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ran into a similar issue with the same codes. Any chance you found the culprit?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
zer026T
Pro

I cleared the codes and they haven't returned since.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I've found that on the odd occasion, when I roll car out of the garage to wash or to do stuff in the garage and then start it to just put it away, I get the occasional misfire.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by zer026T
I cleared the codes and they haven't returned since.
Are you running stock (paper) or aftermarket (e.g. K&N) air filters?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM
zer026T
Pro

Originally Posted by CAVU
Are you running stock (paper) or aftermarket (e.g. K&N) air filters?
Presumably stock, it had its 30k KM service performed just before I purchased from a Porsche dealer, which (should have?) included replacing the air filter.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

If the previous changed to a K&N, then the service dept will not change it as you would need to wash & re-oil it.
Too much oil though can bugger up the MAF
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 PM
john997
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. Tried new coils and plugs, crankshaft sensor, smoke test (no leaks), air mass sensor. All to no avail - CEL would periodically come on.

Finally took it to a different shop - and turns out it was a bad flywheel. Flywheel replaced and no problems since.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 PM
zer026T
Pro

No CELs to report of but scanned with my diagnostic cable and the misfiring has returned. Is that possible without throwing a CEL? I have an appointment Wednesday to have them check it out, along with a few other things.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-11-2022)

Quick Reply: 997.1 misfiring on all cylinders