Sponsored by:

Porsche All Red Tail Lights

Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Porsche All Red Tail Lights

Hey guys, (gals),

Just wanted to get some input on the optional Porsche "all red" OEM .1 Tail Lights...

I have always loved them ever since I saw the cars at the dealership starting to pop up with them in 2008 I believe. For some reason, I always thought they made the rear of the car look different but not to the untrained eye. Something that I happen to like.

I almost recently ordered a pair from Suncoast until I suddenly realized that I have begun to LIKE my red/clear stock tails! Now I am not sure what the hell to do so I come here for a couple of answers -

1. Who owns all red tails and were they ordered on your car or did you purchase aftermarket?

2. Do toy have a set that you are willing to sell (I have my stocks in return)...

Also - does anyone know exactly what years these were made? I think it was only 2008 but could've been '07 as well.

Lastly - to anyone who has swapped their tails, how would you rate the difficulty of the job on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks!
John
Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

The red taillights actually had their origin in the 968 model Porsche (last of the 944 variants). Later, it was seen in the Carrera GT. It finally was provided as an option in the 997.1 cars but not until about MY08. With the transition to LED lighting the look as evolved over to the all clear look which we see on the Speedster, etc.

Switching these lenses over is mere child's play. Super easy.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Perk10, despite our mutual love for Cocoa interiors and Fuchs style rims, this is one area where we really differ. I don't like the all red tail lights. Just not my cup of tea. I do like the 997.2 standard rear LED lights, not a fan of the all clear look either, but even prefer those over the all red.

But if you like the all red ones, go for it. It should fit on any MY05-08 997.1 car. It's a very easy DIY. I haven't swapped my lights, but I have taken them out just to clean the inside.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:48 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

We have done the same upgrade to a few Caymans, happy with the results:

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The red taillights actually had their origin in the 968 model Porsche (last of the 944 variants). Later, it was seen in the Carrera GT. It finally was provided as an option in the 997.1 cars but not until about MY08. With the transition to LED lighting the look as evolved over to the all clear look which we see on the Speedster, etc.

Switching these lenses over is mere child's play. Super easy.
very interesting! I always relate them to the CGT which are typically a silver variant. My car is silver so I figure it would look good.

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Perk10, despite our mutual love for Cocoa interiors and Fuchs style rims, this is one area where we really differ. I don't like the all red tail lights. Just not my cup of tea. I do like the 997.2 standard rear LED lights, not a fan of the all clear look either, but even prefer those over the all red.

But if you like the all red ones, go for it. It should fit on any MY05-08 997.1 car. It's a very easy DIY. I haven't swapped my lights, but I have taken them out just to clean the inside.
This just gave me a good morning laugh. COME ON SPEEDSTER!!!!! You don't like them?! Not even with Cocoa leather and Fuchs style rims?!

Oh well... See, I like them because they are different. Not many people have them as you can see from the amount of responses here. I would wager that 99% of people on this board that have All Reds got them from the factory with their car. Anyone looking to spend money on a tail light upgrade right now will default to an LED but I just CAN'T get myself to like the .1 LED retrofit!!

Now if I were to spend some serious money and buy the .2 LED and .2 Rear Bumper, that would be a different story
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Perk10
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
We have done the same upgrade to a few Caymans, happy with the results:

Looks good - let's make a trade. My OEM tails that were just pro buffed in 99% condition plus cash on my end. eh? eh?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:24 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

All red
Attached Images   
Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I may have a set to sell if interested!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by j_leder
All red
you know it's funny. Out of ALL of the people that have showed me examples on this forum and 6speed, none of them are on slant back cars. everyone has a wing in one way or another whether it's an aero, gt, tt, etc.

anyways, NICE car! Looks good. Thumbs up for Arctic Silver

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
I may have a set to sell if interested!
definitely interested. would you want to trade for my OEM red/white plus cash or just cash?

PM Me!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The all reds makes your 997.1 looks older, if that is the look you are after. Like Edgy said, reminds me of the 968 and that generation cars. Just look at the pictures here (no offence to anyone) instant classic's with those lights.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

factory spec'd 2008 C2S w/all reds - love em!

Originally Posted by Perk10
Hey guys, (gals),

Just wanted to get some input on the optional Porsche "all red" OEM .1 Tail Lights...

I have always loved them ever since I saw the cars at the dealership starting to pop up with them in 2008 I believe. For some reason, I always thought they made the rear of the car look different but not to the untrained eye. Something that I happen to like.

I almost recently ordered a pair from Suncoast until I suddenly realized that I have begun to LIKE my red/clear stock tails! Now I am not sure what the hell to do so I come here for a couple of answers -

1. Who owns all red tails and were they ordered on your car or did you purchase aftermarket?

2. Do toy have a set that you are willing to sell (I have my stocks in return)...

Also - does anyone know exactly what years these were made? I think it was only 2008 but could've been '07 as well.

Lastly - to anyone who has swapped their tails, how would you rate the difficulty of the job on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks!
John
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM
0356kid
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no offense to anyone, but I like the look of the LED conversion better. Just one persons opinion...
Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by Ynot
The all reds makes your 997.1 looks older, if that is the look you are after. Like Edgy said, reminds me of the 968 and that generation cars. Just look at the pictures here (no offence to anyone) instant classic's with those lights.

I have never looked at it that way and I am sure 99.9 percent of the population wouldn't know that either... but thanks for the input, like I said I had never considered that. Still love em

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
factory spec'd 2008 C2S w/all reds - love em!
ugh SO SICK!!!! Love your car and the lights!

Originally Posted by 0356kid
no offense to anyone, but I like the look of the LED conversion better. Just one persons opinion...
Just like you said, it's all based on opinion. I personally dislike the look of LED rears on a 997.1 unless the .2 rear bumper conversion is done as well. If I were looking to spend that type of money then that would be another story.

I just want a quick change that in my opinion will look good on MY car.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Factory option on my 09 TT and I have always liked them!
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like them and they bring warm fuzzy memories for me. But I might be a little biased. If anyone has them on a midnight blue .1 post up a pic.

Ken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche All Red Tail Lights