Sponsored by:

Squeaky Rear Brake(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeaky Rear Brake(s)

Almost every time I stop now, I get a pretty loud rear brake squeak/squeal from about 10 mph to full stop. It's really getting annoying, especially at this time of year when all the windows are down. PPI back in November (2,500 miles ago) says still over 70% left on rear pads so I doubt it's anything there. Any ideas/solutions?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you could apply disc brake anti squeal to the back side of the pads
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have stock brakes & pads? My fronts squeak and my mechanic told me I have performance pads that are a little bigger than stock and rub against the edges of the disc. Better braking but squeaking too.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

1. I get the same problem when I drive it like a Corolla instead of a Porsche. I have to purposely hit the brakes hard (look in the rear view mirror first) several time to wear off the glaze I have accumulated. That usually fixes things until I start driving like a granny again.

2. My SA has told me they can chamfer the edges of the brake pads for me, which often eliminates the problem (until you wear through the chamfer). I have not done so, relying on some periodic spirited driving, including the braking. I still may have the dealer do so the next time I go in for a major service, or whenever I need another set of pads, whichever comes first.

3. I am ignorant of the technique -- what equipment is used to chamfer the pads? Maybe I can do it myself.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

Disc brake anti squeal? I'll check that out, thanks!

Stock pads I believe but I'll check with my tech to see if he says otherwise...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullseye7
Disc brake anti squeal? I'll check that out, thanks!

Stock pads I believe but I'll check with my tech to see if he says otherwise...
The mechanic offered to shave the pads to eliminate the noise but said that the noise would return when the pads wear down.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear pads have two "spiders" each that are adhered to the pad and sit inside the pistons. If they are reused during a pad change, they may not re-adhere to the new pad especially if rusty. You can find them on almost every Porsch parts website. They prevent the pad from vibrating during braking and producing the squeal.
Aftermarket Anti squeal on the back of the pad eliminates vibration by lubricating the rear of the pad or, some other types use a sticky, silicone type substance to prevent metal-to-metal contact.
Me, I only use what's right. So I'd go for the spiders.
Remember, all anti squeal product go on the back of the pad because that's where the noise comes from. This is why resurfacing pads/rotors is a temporary fix.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:10 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocco07
The rear pads have two "spiders" each that are adhered to the pad and sit inside the pistons. If they are reused during a pad change, they may not re-adhere to the new pad especially if rusty. You can find them on almost every Porsch parts website. They prevent the pad from vibrating during braking and producing the squeal.
Aftermarket Anti sqeal on the back of the pad eliminates vibration by lubricating the rear of the pad or, some other types use a sticky, silicone type substance to prevent metal-to-metal contact.
Me, I only use what's right. So I'd go for the spiders.
^^^ I was going to offer up a very similar comment to this one too. There are several reasons why brakes squeal. The main one is vibration of the pad backing plate against the caliper pistons and the other is a glazed pad against the disk (rotor). If you have a true squeal sound and not a squeal/grinding/rubbing/dragging sound when the brakes are applied then inspection and probably replacement of anti-squeal pads may help. On the 997 there are two per OEM rear pad and if I recall they are 35 mm and 38 mm circular pads (spiders as noted by Rocco07), but your tech or parts guy can tell you for sure.

If you have the grinding/dragging squeal sound (much less common) you will need to check the pads and disks. Assuming the pads still have reasonable life left (thickness above the backing plate), then the disks could have excess pad material on them or the pads may be glazed. Either way you are not getting a good friction contact and it is causing the sound. A couple solutions are 1) replace the pads and inspect and clean the disks (rotors), or 2) if all looks and feels ok - you need to actually touch the disks, outer and inner ones for anything other than a nice uniform feel - try to re-bed the brakes (you can search the forums on bedding procedures if you are not familar with them). The key in this process is to get the brakes up in temperature (hotter than normal but no need for track type hot) so you can start to get the pad friction compound to properly interact with the disks. This can take quite a bit of effort if the pads are severely glazed. I like to clean the wheels as much as possible before bedding so I can observe the amount of brake dust from the process. If the brake dust seems to be more concentrated in one area versus a more uniform look (I know this is a very subjective point) after a good bedding, then you may have a caliper piston issue or a disk (rotor) issue. But I bet all you really need are replacement anti-squeal pads.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone. Well I drive the car pretty hard with my fair share of late braking so I doubt there's any glazing. I do find it odd that the squealing only occurs near the end of the stop as in the past with other cars I think I've only heard squealing under light braking.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Rear Brake(s)