Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing spark plugs, do the coils at the same time?

Old 08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Replacing spark plugs, do the coils at the same time?

06 Carrera S with only 25k on it. I'm planning on replacing the spark plugs next weekend but was unsure about the coils as well. It certainly seems like a good 'while you're in there' idea but also $300 in additional parts. My car leads a relatively easy life with no rain or winter/salt driving so I can't imagine the coils have been exposed to the elements much.

Many of the other posters who have replaced them along with plugs seemed to have higher mileage so with only 25k, I was unsure.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many will recommend that you should have a few on hand just in case, but I did not replace any of mine when I did the service and it was fine. You can see a post I did with photos to get a better idea of condition - but I would say a sheltered life with 25K is probably ok. The coils will most likely be unneeded.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

The coils went on my 2000 Boxster S at 150K miles. I really think this early maintenance is a massive waste of money.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
The coils went on my 2000 Boxster S at 150K miles. I really think this early maintenance is a massive waste of money.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Agree. A car that lives in relatively dry climate barring just a defective coil should get good life from the coils. They'll let you know when it is time...

I might point out my 02 Boxster spent a couple of years in the mid-west being used year 'round, and then has been used year 'round here in CA and has its original coils. The odometer just rolled over to 270K miles the other day...

Sure, the Boxster's mid-engine location means the coils do not get quite the exposure to the elements as the rear engine 997 does but like I said above the coils will let you know when it is time.

Of course I have to add that an experienced/thorough tech will inspect the coils when the plugs are being changed out and if he finds any sign of deterioration will replace one coil or a bank of coils or possibly all 6 coils.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think part of the reason to change the coils when the plugs are changed is that it's a pain in the rump to get in there. They are more accessible than the plugs, though, and could probably be changed themselves with only half the swearing that occurs during the plug change.

I changed mine at 60k. Did I pull off 6 good coils? Yup (at least the car doesn't run any differently with new ones). So the only benefit for me was that it was easy to do while I was there and now I have 6 good backup coils. And maybe I have some peace of mind that I won't need to contort my body again for awhile to get back into that space.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:35 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you decide to do the coils also, we offer an ignition service kit that includes plugs and coils. For more information Click Here.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

If you drive year round in a wet/cold area, then yes, i would do them. If you live in texas, probably not.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

You may be fine but it's always a "roll of the dice" until you get the coils out and inspect them. We've had other forum members start this project to only find that the original coils broke apart when they attempted to remove them. Easy enough for a p-dealer to inspect and secure new coils as they have a parts warehouse in back but not so much for us.

I like working on my car but I don't like re-surgery so I replaced both coils and plugs while I was already in there. It's about ~$240+ for the coil set. The packaged deal from ECS looks good/complete. Not a lot of $$ compared to the time you'll spend under the car wondering how to get a torque wrench in there to properly seat the plugs and coils... and still much less expensive than having the p-dealer swap them out. I decided upfront before starting the project that I wanted all parts on hand. I didn't want to deal with the possibility of a coil or two failing when I removed them and then having to rush down to the local p-dealer and pay them the extortionist price of $60-$80/coil to finish the project that weekend or waiting a week for new plugs to arrive from ECS or Pelican. BTW, my old coils looked fine after 47.5K miles and 3 yrs so I keep two in the car's emergency kit JIC I get stranded somewhere remote... FWIW, you cannot always tell whether or not coils are good by their exterior appearance alone. Obviously any cracked coils are bad but the coils can also deteriorate internally without any sign to the contrary on the outside. Some coils will act up when exposed to moisture so try spraying some water on them the next time you wash the car and see if you get any error codes and/or rough idle. GL with the project.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
You may be fine but it's always a "roll of the dice" until you get the coils out and inspect them. We've had other forum members start this project to only find that the original coils broke apart when they attempted to remove them. Easy enough for a p-dealer to inspect and secure new coils as they have a parts warehouse in back but not so much for us.

I like working on my car but I don't like re-surgery so I replaced both coils and plugs while I was already in there. It's about ~$240+ for the coil set. The packaged deal from ECS looks good/complete. Not a lot of $$ compared to the time you'll spend under the car wondering how to get a torque wrench in there to properly seat the plugs and coils... and still much less expensive than having the p-dealer swap them out. I decided upfront before starting the project that I wanted all parts on hand. I didn't want to deal with the possibility of a coil or two failing when I removed them and then having to rush down to the local p-dealer and pay them the extortionist price of $60-$80/coil to finish the project that weekend or waiting a week for new plugs to arrive from ECS or Pelican. BTW, my old coils looked fine after 47.5K miles and 3 yrs so I keep two in the car's emergency kit JIC I get stranded somewhere remote... FWIW, you cannot always tell whether or not coils are good by their exterior appearance alone. Obviously any cracked coils are bad but the coils can also deteriorate internally without any sign to the contrary on the outside. Some coils will act up when exposed to moisture so try spraying some water on them the next time you wash the car and see if you get any error codes and/or rough idle. GL with the project.
I used this logic at 45k miles, but not sure that I would at 25k.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

I did my 06S with 26K miles. The car was bought used from previous owners in texas and NC. The guy in NC kept it in an air conditioned garage.

Nothing was wrong with the car when driving, but I figured after 6+ years it needed some TLC.

After removal of the coils I inspected each one and 1 of them had a large crack in the square end along the side.

It kills me to throw the rest of them out, they all seem fine but I dont want a garage full of never to be used again parts
Old 08-09-2013, 03:03 PM
porka
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i only did plugs on mine.. i tend to do all my maintenance prematurely.. i just feel its cheap insurance. especially oil changes.

for example just did the 60k service at 50k! Plugs,oil,air and cabin filter, serpentine belt, brake fluid flush.

I want to do a trans fluid flush next. i did find it off that my c2s does not have an accessible fuel filter..

Mike
Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Without knowing where you live it's impossible to say.

I live in probably the most benign area in the country and just turned 78,000 miles with original plugs and coils. If I were in Boston those things would be rotten and have to be replaced with the plugs at 40,000 miles.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

My dealer said there was no reason unless they were cracked and or failing. I did my plugs a little over a year ago and they were all fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing spark plugs, do the coils at the same time?