Sponsored by:

About to buy tires, should I go Bridestone or Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
How much difference is there really between mounting the tires on a Toyota or on a Porsche?
A few thousand dollars if Costco doesn't know what they're doing... Ask them what torque value they intend to use on your 997? If they don't torque the wheel bolts to 96 ft-lbs then you may have to replaced you're warped rotors and get new pads. In the worst case, they don't use the proper mount points on your car and therefore will damage the under body... then you're dealing with both an expensive repair and demised value. FWIW, a Firestone is located in my neighborhood and would have charged me $120 to mount my tires... I decided instead to pay the p-dealer $150. Note that I still checked/re-torqued my wheels when I got home and then re-torqued again a week later after the wheels settled after my visit to the p-dealer.

To the OP, based on resounding reviews of others on the forum and my own SA's recommendations I went with the MPSS for DD, longevity of wear, and lower cost. I'm still keeping my near new PZeros on my factory Carrera Classic wheels for DE's... they're better for track use but noisier for DD and wear out quicker. They're also N-rated which may help if/when I resell the car. Note that P-dealers can only CPO a car with N-rated tires. Perhaps something to consider should you need to trade-in the car in the near future. Of course, if the tires are too worn then they'll need to be replaced regardless... so use until resell may be a factor to consider when selecting a non-R rated tires such as the MPSS over the Bridgestone RE's.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

How much over-torque do you have to apply to warp the rotors? (200+)
Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Or it's the difference in torque values from one bolt to the next. But why even risk any issues for a $30 delta in cost... is that really worth it? If you must use Costco then at least re-torque your wheel bolts to 96 ft-lbs when you get home in an alternating pattern.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 08-04-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
How much difference is there really between mounting the tires on a Toyota or on a Porsche?
I had an Indy bend one of my wheels once....of course he didn't mention it
Old 08-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Hankooks are much quieter!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
How much over-torque do you have to apply to warp the rotors? (200+)
It isn't the "over torque" as much as it is the uneven torque. Way back in the 70's I had a couple of cars experience warped rotors after trips to dealer and tire shops. Since that time whenever any of my cars go in for any kind of service where the wheels come off I retorque the wheels myself within a day after the car comes home. I've never experienced a warped rotor since. I often find significant difference between left side wheels and right side wheels too.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:30 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to be getting a big thumbs up from everyone... but what about them not being "N" rated? Does that matter?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:43 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
...Way back in the 70's I had a couple of cars experience warped rotors after trips to dealer and tire shops. Since that time whenever any of my cars go in for any kind of service where the wheels come off I retorque the wheels myself within a day after the car comes home. I've never experienced a warped rotor since. I often find significant difference between left side wheels and right side wheels too.
Way back in that same period of time, torque sticks were not around and they simply used the same airgun set a max to remove the bolts/nuts to put them back on at Max. I had a mechanic BS me one time that he could 'feel' the proper torque with the airgun. "torque wrench"? "Oh yea, it's a wrench that I apply torque with!"

I just want the job done right the first time. No more warped rotors from uneven or over torque, No more snapped nuts/bolts, no more on the side of the road with a flat and I can't muscle the nut/bolt off without a breaker bar. I have already reconciled with myself that when it comes time for tires and TPMS, I'll call the dealer, have them order in from tire rack and bring the car by to them. I've already priced it all locally and there are within $100-140 difference all totaled. Worth it and if I've got one of my dealers 10% coupons then it's even less of a delta.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had Brodgestones but Hella-Buggin says he had the Bridgestones and he didnt like them as much as the Michelins.
I have had multiple sets of Michelins and while the PS2' are competent, I find the Pilot Super Sports to be a better overall tire IMHO. I have them on both my Panamera and my 997.2. It doesn't hurt that they are also cheaper than the PS2's. The ride is quite comfortable and smooth compared to the PS2's.
You can get a great deal from Discount tire Co. or Tirerack and have then shipped to your dealer for install if you cant find a local shop that has the expertise to not scuff, scratch or find some other to ruin the unmounting and mounting experience.

Think about it!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Just to point out the difference in durability between the RE050A and the super sports, I adverage e about 12k miles out of a set of rears with the bridgestones. I currently have about 9k miles and 5 tracks days on my super sports with plenty of tread left. Now, I'm in the beginner group so your de tire wear may vary. I also rennet the bridgestones being very loud towards the end of their life and quite jolting over bumps.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Super Sports
Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had both. Unfortunately my C2 came with new Bridgestone RE050As, so I am stuck with them for a while. After only about 2000 miles they are already getting noisy when cornering. When the rears are worn, the fronts go, too. I can't wait to get back on Michelins.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Costco offers the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 235/30/19, but I don't see them for the rear size (305/30/19)... hmmm gotta call them.

Is there any advantage to filling your tires in Nitrogen? Or is all of that just hype?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Force Balance

What is Road Force Balance?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by sixgun95
What is Road Force Balance?
Tire balancing equipment used by some tire installers. Not necessarily an indicator that the tire installer knows how to work with our cars but the Force Balancer is one of the better balancers out there on the market. For example, the local Firestone in my neighborhood has a Road Force Balancer but they know very little about how to mount our cars nor how much torque to use... let alone what size/type tires are used on our cars.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 08-05-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: About to buy tires, should I go Bridestone or Michelin