Sponsored by:

Techron, Swepco, or Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
exactly my point macster. techron and other fuel sytem cleaners can clean the valves as the chemicals are sprayed onto the valves cleaning the deposits. for our new dfi engines the chemicals are essentially sprayed into the combustion chamber and never really hit anything else. i guess cleaning sould be limited ot the tank, lines and the injector itself... less benefits?
It is natural to think that with DFI engines Techron can not clean the valves since the fuel does not get directly sprayed onto the valves, but this is not exactly correct.

Well, to be sure the fuel is not sprayed against the back of the valves. That part is exactly correct.

But Techron not only cleans in its fluid form, helping to remove deposits from any metal it comes in contact with, it also has a vapor form that promotes cleaning.

It is this vapor form that plays the biggest role in helping to clean surfaces that are do not receive direct contact with liquid Techron.

Since the valves get deposits from combustion gases coming in contact with the valves under some operating conditions that have combustion gases flowing the "wrong" way (on purpose to cut down on emissions) that these combustion gases now contain whatever components of Techron after combustion left there is still some cleaning taking place.

Note the valves are quite cold compared to the rest of the surfaces that the combustion gases come in contact with (which is why they tend to collect deposits in the first place) and thus encourage the Techron in vapor form to condense back into fluid form and then the violence of the incoming intake air flow helps remove the deposits loosened by the Techron.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Macster,

Thanks for such an informative reply. For me:

Top Tier - Yes!
Volume fuel dealer - Yes!
Fuel additive usage - Rarely since 1991 and usually after I've bought a used car as part of its "resetting" of fluids, filters and consumables.

Until 1991, I used have to pull fuel injectors (Mercedes and Volvo), run them through my pressure tester/cleaner more often than desired to clean them for a proper spray pattern. I noted then, a lot, I mean a lot of deposits on the outside of the injector and in the intake finger of the manifold. Then I came across reading material through MBCA regarding European fuel detergent requirements, the BMW test to measure deposits etc. The advice then was to buy from what would eventually be known as Top Tier here in the U.S. I started using Chevron and Shell almost exclusively. I sold my Bosch injector pressure tester/cleaner 13 years later having only used it to test for a failed/tired injector. THey were near spotless along with the intake finger. Never cleaned another one. I suspect the ethanol's cleaning/corrosive capabilities play a part in all of this too.

When I came across Porsche DFI gasoline solution, I was intrigued. Others had tried this and its hard to do. But there was Porsche's solution 5 years into production when I bought mine. No regrets so far.

Quick Reply: Techron, Swepco, or Seafoam?