Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 C4S vs 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently also have a BMW 335is convertible with DCT that I keep in FL. My Porsche is a 6 Speed MT.

My play cars have mostly been manual transmissions. Having a car with a DCT (or PDK) was a compromise so my wife could also enjoy the car. It turns out that she loves the 335is, and even though I like it too, I wish that it had a MT. The DCT is interesting but not intuitive for me when using the shifter paddles, so I rarely ever use them. That leaves me with a car that is nice but very boring to drive.

If you're used to manual transmissions and the Porsche is your only sports car, I would recommend you think hard and long about going the PDK route.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Apologies for the late entry but thought I'd add my .02. I've never been a fan of the 991 body style and I spent quite a bit of time considering a 991 Cab S as a replacement until the 991 GT3s arrive. Didn't find enough things in the "pro" column to justify the move. I then saw a 991 4S cab in person and really liked it. The wider rear and clean "ribless" lines of the fabric top really gave the car a nice look.

If you decide to get a 997.2 cab, stick with an 09/10 with low miles and save yourself the depreciation. No reason to spend more for the 12 unless you find a great deal that absorbs some of the depreciation hit. Yep, get the entire argument for a 12 (longer warranty/etc.) but all things that you could easily apply to an older year and still save yourself lots of money.

If you decide to get a 991. I would recommend a 4S cab. Right now, the best looking variant of that body style, IMHO.

My recommendation? Get a .2 cab, drive the hell out of it, and in a few years, by the 991 (4S!) you want as most variants will be on the market and some good used cars should be coming off lease return. Either way, you should be pretty happy.

Best of luck!

Take care,

KS
Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=ksozay;10632345]Apologies for the late entry but thought I'd add my .02. I've never been a fan of the 991 body style and I spent quite a bit of time considering a 991 Cab S as a replacement until the 991 GT3s arrive. Didn't find enough things in the "pro" column to justify the move. I then saw a 991 4S cab in person and really liked it. The wider rear and clean "ribless" lines of the fabric top really gave the car a nice look.

If you decide to get a 997.2 cab, stick with an 09/10 with low miles and save yourself the depreciation. No reason to spend more for the 12 unless you find a great deal that absorbs some of the depreciation hit. Yep, get the entire argument for a 12 (longer warranty/etc.) but all things that you could easily apply to an older year and still save yourself lots of money.

If you decide to get a 991. I would recommend a 4S cab. Right now, the best looking variant of that body style, IMHO.

My recommendation? Get a .2 cab, drive the hell out of it, and in a few years, by the 991 (4S!) you want as most variants will be on the market and some good used cars should be coming off lease return. Either way, you should be pretty happy.

Best of luck!

Take care,

+1. KS summarized my thoughts.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

In a few years we will likely sell our '10 4S (coupe) and buy a 991 4S coupe. I am sold on the looks of the 4S cars. Love the wider butt and all wheel drive. I will look for a car that is 2 years old with low miles and well cared for. I prefer not to take that huge depreciation hit on a new car.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove the 991 back to back with my own 997 today ... the 991 is a very impressive car. It's very solid, sharp handling, the chassis is more stable and smooth, especially over rougher roads, wind noise is sharply reduced with the top up, lots of fun shifting the PDK, exhaust note is great, too. Decisions ...
Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
In a few years we will likely sell our '10 4S (coupe) and buy a 991 4S coupe. I am sold on the looks of the 4S cars. Love the wider butt and all wheel drive. I will look for a car that is 2 years old with low miles and well cared for. I prefer not to take that huge depreciation hit on a new car.
ping me when you are ready so i can take a look - perhaps it'll tempt me to upgrade from my C4S...i live not too far away, and it'd be great to deal with an enthusiast on this board
PL

Quick Reply: 997 C4S vs 991