Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I be worried? IMS RMS with photo

Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM
adkrover
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I be worried? IMS RMS with photo

Just wondering if this bit of oil should have me worried about an impending failure. There are no drips but the oil is appearing first at the joint between the engine and transmission and then migrating back on the bottom of the engine collecting dust. Car has only 11,000 miles on it!

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

I just did an oil change on mine. Had a few drops/a little oil wetness because she didn't run all winter plus I was out of town a lot in the spring (8-9 months total). After driving more regularly, haven't seen another hint of oil. Given your low mileage, one would assume your car has been sitting a lot throughout it's life.
It looks dry in this photo, is that the case? Or does it leak actively? If so, the RMS may need to be replaced. If you get a few drops here and there after a period of storage, might just be a bit of oil sweat which can happen on all cars (not just Porsche).
What year is yours? Check the oil filter when you change the oil for metal flakes/bits. If you have the new/modified ims (~half way through 2005), you should be fine.

Rob
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What bit of oil are you speaking of. It looks pretty dry? I don't see any clear signs of leaks especially in the area (motor-to-tranny) where RMS leaks would show up.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see a need for concern. Mine weeps a lot more than that since I noticed it 15,000 miles ago (now 31,000 miles). I drive very, very hard.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What model year car do you have adkrover?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM
adkrover
4th Gear

It's a 2005 and it does spend more of it's lift in the garage than it does on the road. We are in an area that has salt and snow on the roads for at least 6 months every year so extended dormancy is common. There are no drips but it more wet than I would like.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

It's my understanding that the IMS doesn't leak... It just goes and causes destruction without warning. The rms seal wraps and leaks and is more problematic in cars that sit for prolonged periods.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

What is your build date-look at sticker on side of door panal - if 03/05 or later you most likely have the revised IMS bearing. Also, check your vin # in the IMS class action to see if it is included, and if it is, it means you probably have the smaller more problematic (but replaceable) bearing. Also just check your oil filter as previsuously mentioned and if ok monitor to see if it gets worse. Once you have this info you can make a decision re next step, if any. I had similar situation, have 2005 w/revised bearing, just driving it more and monitoring.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Unless you have nothing else to do that's not enough oil to worry about. I have my car (996 Turbo) in for an RMS leak and I left the camera with the tech to take some pics. But I took a couple of pics before and the oil leak was bad enough the oil was hanging from the metal at the engine/transmission bell housing joint and had run backwards along the engine cases seam to the point it had washed the dirt/grime away. That's a RMS leak.

What I see in the picture is someone's over active imagination.

Oh, the leak could be from something else too. Something up higher. Before an RMS leak could be diagnosed a tech would check for other places the leak could be that could have oil in that area.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:28 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd vote that you clean the area up really good and just watch it over time. Unless there is an active dripping to the point of droplets coming out, dealers and Porsche-North America just call it a "weep".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should I be worried? IMS RMS with photo