Sponsored by:

My poor car

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Lozzy997
The wheels can be fixed or replaced. The roof can be fixed or replaced. The paint is more of a problem. It's so thin that even if polishing were able to remedy the problems it could never be polished again. The only way to deal with thin paint is to respray and a factory respray is a lot of money.

The concern I voiced to the dealer was twofold: (1) how to get the car to a condition I am happy with and (2) how to account for its diminished value going forward.

I just got off the phone with the dealer. The solutions he came up with to address both 1 and 2 were a little disappointing to be honest. I declined and asked him to take the car back. He now has to escalate at his end. I suspect I will need to the same. I have the Porsche satisfaction survey in my inbox so that's a start. If anyone knows of a good lawyer who works in this space please PM me.
Assuming the condition of the car you bought is as you described, this is disappointing behavior on part of the dealer to say the least. Have you considered bringing PCNA into this yet? As I posted earlier in this thread, they go to great length to promote CPO cars as something really special. Something that only a few select pre-owned cars qualify for after extensive probing and inspections. Cars for customers who want to buy used cars with that extra peace of mind. I'd like to think that PCNA want to know how all those promises are complied with in the field by their Porsche ambassadors. Or completely ignored as in your case.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 AM
paddyh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lesson learned for next time - PPI.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Vina Wescots
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had an experience with one of the car dealer. I immediately said that i want to cancel the transaction. The dealer said the car would be repaired. I waited for two days and the dealer returned the car back and now it was in good condition...
Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Posted a few pics for those who are interested in this saga, thanks again for the support.
Attached Images     
Old 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

What units is the paint meter in? Is that 84 micrometers? If so that would be 3.3 thousandths of an inch. Is it that thin everywhere or is that the worst spot?

Below is a paint test from a car I was looking at a long while back.

Name:  painttest_zps1e365421.png
Views: 896
Size:  744.7 KB

Not sure if this car had been buffed to death as well, but you can see the paint was around .003-.005". As for the curb rash that's really annoying but cheap and easy to repair. I don't know what is going on with the top.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Posted a few pics for those who are interested in this saga, thanks again for the support.
I re read your first post and glanced through all the remaining posts. I am not sure if I should compliment you for your calm demeanor or criticize it. You need to turn up the volume. Be assertive and if the dealer blows you off, then explain that you will seek all avenues to receive your entitled restitution.

Some of those avenues should be considered if the dealer continues to offer not much in terms of remediation and an attorney can guide you as to which ones and the timing of each.

(1) Expose the actual dealer and make it public. Bad press among the Porsche community gets the attention of the dealer principals. The dealer principals have invested millions in the goodwill of their store and a screw up that is not managed with a focus on customers will diminish its value. They do care if you hit them where they feel the $$$$.

(2) Speak to the dealer principals. Start with the sales manager, then the GM and finally the dealer principals (owners). Be clear as to the facts. Not the emotions. The car was supposed to be a qualified CPO vehicle. It clearly did not meet the following CPO criteria and should not have been represented as such. Be specific and have the details in front of you if you are on the phone.

(3) Get on the phone with Porsche North America. You will start with customer service but you need to escalate this. You need to speak to the regional manager who oversees the dealer who sold you the car. Be specific about the issues.

(4) Hire a lawyer who deals in auto retail problems. This is not lemon law (I believe) where the manufacturer is being held accountable. Rather, this is about the dealer misrepresenting product. Consumer fraud. You can call one of the lemon lawyers (google) and seek their advice as to who would be best to represent you.

(5) Contact the local better business bureau. File a claim.

(6) Contact the local and state consumer protection agencies. File a claim.

(7) Start new posts with specifics (names, etc.) on all the Porsche and other enthusiast forums. We all love Rennlist but there are others.

(8) Post on their Facebook page.

(9) Rate them on Yelp and Google.

I can go on and on.

Sure...it is not about health or an issue that money cannot fix, but I hate getting screwed (this way).

And one last thing.....if you ever buy another preowned car without a proper PPI, you will get a "smack down" by your supportive and tolerant Rennlist community.

Best of luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Mattyf the readings are in microns and are pretty consistent over the car. I've seen varying numbers for what to expect but 84 is consistently at the very low end, particularly for a 2011 car. Agree on the wheels (and roof for that matter), the paint condition and thickness is the big concern.

Mjsporsche - thanks for the thoughtful response. Some good stuff in there. I'm calm right now but I'm close to turning up the volume trust me. Agree on the lesson learned, I would deserve a smack down if I put myself in this position again
Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

+911... GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Well I've now spoken to the salesman, the used car sales manager and the overall sales manager.

All have feigned ignorance and then surprise. All have been very cordial and polite.

Interesting quote on the last call "it's very difficult to buy a car back in CA" which I interpreted as a legal threat. I simply replied "not in this case it isn't".

I have not shared names and I have not escalated at my end, but I am about to.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Jackson22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is insane. These guys need to step up and make you whole. I would love to know what dealership this is in CA so I absolutely NEVER set foot in it.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Well I've now spoken to the salesman, the used car sales manager and the overall sales manager.

All have feigned ignorance and then surprise. All have been very cordial and polite.

Interesting quote on the last call "it's very difficult to buy a car back in CA" which I interpreted as a legal threat. I simply replied "not in this case it isn't".

I have not shared names and I have not escalated at my end, but I am about to.
Disappointing for sure but I am not surprised. The folks you spoke to are concerned about the sale. It is booked and the last thing they want to do is incur costs to reverse it. Not in their best interests. As simple as that.

Need to go to Phase II. Get the GM and the Dealer Principal involved. They are more concerned about the big picture and their reputation/goodwill.

Just work down the list that I mentioned in my post above. If the GM and Dealer Principal does nothing, you might want to begin the process of finding a lawyer.

I would recommend that you disclose the name of the dealership and ask if any Rennlisters have relationships with the GM and or Dealer Principal. Also, you might want to speak to the local PCA chapter president. Each chapter has a dealer liaison function that can bring issues to the right people at a dealership.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (07-21-2022)
Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought...

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/automobile_dealers
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Yes, the implied legal threat got me a little wound up. I'm a Brit, we're slow to anger but once over the line it gets pretty ugly.

Again, some gorgeous avatars in this thread
Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Originally Posted by malexgcab

Awesome, thanks !!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Yes, the implied legal threat got me a little wound up. I'm a Brit, we're slow to anger but once over the line it gets pretty ugly.

Again, some gorgeous avatars in this thread

You have lots of avenues to pursue. Are you over the line yet? Do you think the sale manager is thinking that this guy with a funny accent who does not live in CA will likely go away? You bet!

Quick Reply: My poor car