Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Restarting Question

Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restarting Question

While ashamed to admit it, there have been 2-3 times that I've stalled the 997.1. Usually while I'm distracted and "trolling" in a parking lot, though I recall once was at a stoplight....yeah, embarrassing, and I should probably be put on Rennlist probation. Apparently, I've learned little about driving a manual for the past 20+ years.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced their 997 being very fickle when trying to start it immediately after stalling it? Mine acts almost like a flooded car. Sometimes requiring 1, 2 or even 3 turns of the key before she comes back to life. Very strange. I always turn the ignition all the way off before I try to restart it; either way, I wonder if it's a quirk unique to my car, or maybe the 997.1 in general.

Anyone else had a similar observation?

Last edited by Slamuth; 06-12-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

In my previous 2007, starting after a stall was pretty difficult. I was reciting prayers in my head for it to "catch" and lessen the embarrassment It got progressively worse, no I didnt stall that often, but restarting after the car was warm in general. turned out to be a bad alternator cable... was pretty common for the vintage and I learned about it here on RL
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've stalled my 2005 a couple of times. I've noticed that the restart takes longer than the initial start--maybe twice as long. As a rough estimate, initial start takes maybe 2 seconds. Restart is more like 4 seconds. She's always caught on the first restart attempt, though. I've never needed to go to a second or third try.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
AceOfAces
Intermediate

@Slamuth Glad you posted this as I thought I was the only one lol! I stall it every once in a blue moon when I'm not paying attention and it does sometimes require 2-3 turns of the key before she starts up again. My car is also an 05 997 C2S and it does turn out from what I read that a bad alternator cable can cause this as suggested by PasPar2.

It can be pretty embarrassing sometimes, but that's why I love my 997 so much. I get rewarded when I drive and shift well, and when I'm distracted or not paying attention she shows me her dis pleasures!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
In my previous 2007, starting after a stall was pretty difficult. I was reciting prayers in my head for it to "catch" and lessen the embarrassment It got progressively worse, no I didnt stall that often, but restarting after the car was warm in general. turned out to be a bad alternator cable... was pretty common for the vintage and I learned about it here on RL
Not sure why a bad alternator cable would cause hard starts unless the battery was weak due to not getting a proper charge. Did you get any more info when it was changed out?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AceOfAces
@Slamuth Glad you posted this as I thought I was the only one lol!
Me three.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Default yes, 100%

2007 C4S 6 speed; 55K

So I've had numerous warm restart issues. My alternator cable was replaced last year, new battery with higher CCA, new alternator, and complete work-thru @ 2 independent dealerships...

It seems to be most fickle with hot starts, after 30 min + of spirited driving. BUT, after a stall, it's a different issue that compounds the [perceived] problem: when a stall occurs, the gas line is cut-off and either the key needs to be turned all the way counterclockwise, or better, completely removed from the starter slot. It has to do with accidents and automatic shut-off in terms of a spark or misfire that could ignite remaining fuel. It's a protective mechanism of sorts. In an accident, you'd effectively stall the car at impact, though that would be the least of your concerns.

DO get your alternator cable checked, replaced, etc. The replacement is a more robust cable because this is a known issue to Porsche.

But remember to take a breath, stay calm, remove key from ignition slot, wait a second or two, and then reinsert, crank.
The following users liked this post:
HemiSam (06-01-2022)
Old 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pdk car now but I have noticed this in other german cars (bmw's). It would behave the exact same way as you described.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:42 PM
McCulla
Pro

me4! I get exactly the same difficult restart after a stall. This is NOT the same as a hot start issue related to the alternator cable or starter wiring harness, nor the bad battery. This occurs immediately after stalling in traffic or something similar. Like other posters, glad it's not just me..
Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

May sound strange but hard hot starts can be caused by a bad - or going bad - coolant temperature sensor. The ECU needs to know the engine temp to provide the correct air/fuel mixture or the engine won't start.

Had this problem on two different Audis. New coolant temp sensor solved the problem.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Slamuth
Racer

Once again, this forum has proven invaluable. I had a feeling it might be a trait of the 997 in general, and not unique to my car. There are a couple good potential explanations above; but either way, it's simply nice to have some validation from the group. Seems the short-term solution is to stop driving like an absent-minded teenager.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

It would be informative to know everyone's model year. I have an '08 C2S and I've stalled but I don't recall any difficulty restarting.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Sexonwheels
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slamuth
While ashamed to admit it, there have been 2-3 times that I've stalled the 997.1. Usually while I'm distracted and "trolling" in a parking lot, though I recall once was at a stoplight....yeah, embarrassing, and I should probably be put on Rennlist probation. Apparently, I've learned little about driving a manual for the past 20+ years.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced their 997 being very fickle when trying to start it immediately after stalling it? Mine acts almost like a flooded car. Sometimes requiring 1, 2 or even 3 turns of the key before she comes back to life. Very strange. I always turn the ignition all the way off before I try to restart it; either way, I wonder if it's a quirk unique to my car, or maybe the 997.1 in general.

Anyone else had a similar observation?
i would pay close attention to whats going on, when you try and restart does it crank over at normal rpm. This is a very common problem, i would have a good hard look....ok do a voltage drop test on the cable, if its more than .5v the cable needs to be replaced. You will be amazed at how much faster the engine will wind over warm or cold.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 AM
trcox57
Instructor

I had the alternator cable replaced under warranty and the car will start after stalling, but it does crank more slowly. I replaced the battery 2 years ago so I never fail to start but it sure doesn't seem to like the exercise.
I try to give it a few seconds depending on where I happen to be at the time :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Restarting Question