Sponsored by:

question about car sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 PM
deverest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about car sale

When you guys sell a car and someone flys in to pick it up, how do you ensure the buyer (or seller) is not a crazy killer? I have seen people offer to pick up buyers at thee airport...this seems unsafe toe, but i understand you have to meet the buyer somewhere.

Also, do you expect the buyer to bring actual cash? Or is a bank check safe enough?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I paid for my car with a certified bank check. Seller brought it to his bank and the manager looked it over for possible issues. However, the check could not clear till the next business day, so there was some uncertainty for the seller. However, I helped by providing my DL, proof of insurance, and let him see some billing docs.

I'm now selling my bmw and would prefer to have a bank to bank wire.

I wouldn't worry about a person coming to the house. A car buyer doesn't seem to fit the wacko serial killer type. But you never know.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:25 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if you can have your local Porsche dealer broker the transaction.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
I purchased my Porsche this way. I only paid $487.00 dealer fees...We met at the dealership and the sales person took care of all the paperwork. They would even finance the car for you.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Times are changing. Tim Bosma made the mistake of trusting 2 guys on a test drive of the vehicle he was selling.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
+1

I hate being so paranoid but con men aren't any good if you see it coming. At least arrange to meet at the local dealer and not your house.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

Have the local dealer broker it for you. Probably the best $400 or $500 spent...

Con artists are fantastic with fake certified cheques.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by deverest
When you guys sell a car and someone flys in to pick it up, how do you ensure the buyer (or seller) is not a crazy killer? I have seen people offer to pick up buyers at thee airport...this seems unsafe toe, but i understand you have to meet the buyer somewhere.

Also, do you expect the buyer to bring actual cash? Or is a bank check safe enough?

Thanks!
You really don't know. I always say I'm going to just trade-in my next car but I usually end up finding a buyer myself. There are a few things that I have done. I don't reply to short emails that look like they are just fishing for data. In every sale I've been able to research the buyer a little bit online and make sure their story adds up. It helps when buyers use work emails or have unique names. I'll get a better feel of the buyer after we exchange emails and phone calls. As far as payments, demand that they get a cashier's check from your bank of try to find out if you have accounts in the same bank. Once the bank verifies the payment, I sign over the papers at the bank.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

All the above is really good input and there is no reason to question any of it, but . . . When I sold my car I had several phone conversations with the buyer (who is a Board member) ironing out details, I knew where he lived, where he worked and he knew the same about me. Even so, he was rightly hesitant about handing over a large chunk of cash without the title/bill of sale. At a certain point it was just a leap of faith for me in trusting that his check was good (and this wasn't too stressful in that we had gotten to know each other). So, he flew in from out of State (with his wife), gave me a check (Cashiers I think but I don't recall) and I signed the car over. The whole transaction went very smoothly. I'm not suggesting this it even a remotely good way to do business but sometimes when buyer and seller get to know each other it does work out well.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks!
pack heat
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks!
Usually when a person is serious enough to fly out and look at it, it's a safe bet. It's the local guys who wants to test drive it that I am worried. All good points provided already. Make sure it's a certified check and do all your paperwork at the bank. A con artist would not want to go anywhere close to a bank as they know there are cameras everywhere recording their every move.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Usually when a person is serious enough to fly out and look at it, it's a safe bet. It's the local guys who wants to test drive it that I am worried. All good points provided already. Make sure it's a certified check and do all your paperwork at the bank. A con artist would not want to go anywhere close to a bank as they know there are cameras everywhere recording their every move.
+1 . . . I sold a 986 few years back and picked up the buyer at the airport after exchanging numerous emails & phone calls. We had the car 'inspected' and then drove to a BofA bank to draw out 'bank check' payable to me (before I signed over title). He then dropped me off and motored back to No. Cal.

I just sold my 997S locally and basically went through the same bank check process.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely pack heat.

I sold my Shelby GT500 to a private seller about 6 months ago. I agreed to meet at my house for him to look at the car. I also hid a loaded .45 near the car under a flag in the garage before he showed up. Had no issues. Talked a lot about the car, he was definitely an enthusiast. He put a deposit down right there and then paid cash a few weeks later. But you never know.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

AP - can you post more pics of that 13 Cayman? It looks sick!

Sorry offtopic.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
bingjeep
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I have bought and sold long distance, and I believe wire transfer is the best way to handle funding. Trust comes from communicating. I have met some wonderful people in the Porsche community, and have both picked up a buyer at the airport, as well as been picked up myself. It all starts on the phone.

Quick Reply: question about car sale