Sponsored by:

Keyed + chips = repaint questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keyed + chips = repaint questions

I have a 2006 C2S with 48k miles. I have owned it since Nov(?) I think. Recently I noticed a growing collection of hood chips and was considering getting those painted and then putting a clear bra on. In the meantime, someone keyed the entire passenger (right) side of the car and a little bit of the rear deck lid. I just took it to Service King (which is shop USAA selected) near my house for an estimate. Waiting on that now. The guy said they would repaint the door, front quarter panel, and rear deck lid, and would blend the rear quarter panel part-way up the C-pillar. I asked for an estimate on chips on the frunk lid and chips/scratches along the driver's side. I've never had this much paintwork done on a car before so I don't know what the "gotchas" are.

Questions:
1. Since I'm getting the left side done, is there any reason to not get the right side and frunk lid done at the same time?
2. I expect to get clear bra put on after the car is repainted - any comments on that? I expect to use a recommended installer (DriverSource) here in Houston to do the clear bra.
3. Any comments/opinions on repainting in general? Resale value?
4. Any way of telling before/during/after whether the shop is doing/will do a good job?
5. Since the insurance company selected the shop, should I just use them or go with another one? I know I have that choice, just not sure if it is necessary/worthwhile.

TIA
Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM
0356kid
Rennlist Member

Chris,

If your car is non metallic, it will be much easier to match than metallic (metallic is tough in my opinion). . Here in California, you are allowed to take your car for repair/re-paint to a shop of your choice. If you have that option in TX, I'd get a second estimate and also see if you can find a shop that specialzes in doing Porsche's. You might ask your local dealer for a recommendation too. I have an 08C2S with the clear bra and it really saves the day if you do any highway driving at all. I also have the clear bra material on blinkers and headlights too. There is a very reputable Porsche shop here in CA and I recently asked them about a re-paint and was quoted $12K+. Bumpers off, windows out, new seals, stickers, etc. I was just curious coming from the 356 world (where everything seems to cost a lot) and $12K seems fairly reasonable. I am extremely picky, so to me, the factory paint job is hard to beat unless of course the shop is doing a bare metal re-paint. Good luck...

Tony
Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need to discuss this with a qualified clear bras installer, but I have read where others have had problems putting a clear bras over a re-spray paint job.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 PM
iammulva
Racer

Oh man! $12k? I hope mine does not approach that. Yes, I can take it anywhere, but why do you suggest a Porsche specific shop? My car is guards red, btw.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by beden1
You would need to discuss this with a qualified clear bras installer, but I have read where others have had problems putting a clear bras over a re-spray paint job.
Thanks for the info - I will do that.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

12k shounds 10k too high quoted this for a black 996 and was told 2k
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

1) Find out who the high end paint shop is in Houston - I doubt it is Service King. Call someone like Vive Auto Finishing and Detailing for recommendations.
http://www.vive-houston.com

Here's the Porsche approved collision center in Houston - https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...x=0&submit.y=0

2) you can safely put a clear bra over a resprayed area - you just have to make sure the paint has cured sometimes up to 30 days - the paint shop will know.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
0356kid
Rennlist Member

In any business PasAPar2, you get what you pay for. Maybe a $2K job would be lightly sanding the existing car and masking around all of the windows, etc. but I think Porsche owners may be a little more fussy than that:-)

I suggested a Porsche shop at the recommendation from a dealer as they are more particular on the work being done for their customers than the average shop. That is not to say there aren't great paint shops out there but it also depends on the level of paint job you want. I don't think we spend $90K+ for a car and then all of a sudden get cheap on other services.

Just one person's opinion though.....
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
1) Find out who the high end paint shop is in Houston - I doubt it is Service King. Call someone like Vive Auto Finishing and Detailing for recommendations.
http://www.vive-houston.com

Here's the Porsche approved collision center in Houston - https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...x=0&submit.y=0

2) you can safely put a clear bra over a resprayed area - you just have to make sure the paint has cured sometimes up to 30 days - the paint shop will know.
Ah! Perfect, thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
Oh man! $12k? I hope mine does not approach that. Yes, I can take it anywhere, but why do you suggest a Porsche specific shop? My car is guards red, btw.
I've some mishaps with my 997's over the years. Rear bumper, front bumper and hood. Each panel was consistently between $500 and $600.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear about the key damage. I'd just paint the parts described by a top paint shop. Clear bra is a good idea.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 0356kid
In any business PasAPar2, you get what you pay for. Maybe a $2K job would be lightly sanding the existing car and masking around all of the windows, etc. but I think Porsche owners may be a little more fussy than that:-)

I suggested a Porsche shop at the recommendation from a dealer as they are more particular on the work being done for their customers than the average shop. That is not to say there aren't great paint shops out there but it also depends on the level of paint job you want. I don't think we spend $90K+ for a car and then all of a sudden get cheap on other services.

Just one person's opinion though.....
A VERY good shop quoted this price from my 996. I used them for a repair on my X5 and was very satisfied. This specific shop doesnt hike prices bc the car is a Porsche like many shops do. They price the job based on labor and material with no added Porsche tax.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
A VERY good shop quoted this price from my 996. I used them for a repair on my X5 and was very satisfied. This specific shop doesnt hike prices bc the car is a Porsche like many shops do. They price the job based on labor and material with no added Porsche tax.
I suspect that the amount of labor estimated to do a factory like refinish will be multiples of that amount. But sometimes a great deal comes along but I am always interested in getting 3 different shops to provide estimates. If there is a significant difference, a few questions need to be asked.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do believe you can use other shops, but the shop you choose does have to be approved by your insurance (since it is your insurance that is paying). But most reputable shops are generally approved, though some insurances refuse high end shops (to save money).
Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 AM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I do believe you can use other shops, but the shop you choose does have to be approved by your insurance (since it is your insurance that is paying). But most reputable shops are generally approved, though some insurances refuse high end shops (to save money).
I can use any shop, but insurance will likely only pay up to the quote offered by their shop. I got a quote yesterday from insurance company's shop for $1800. Getting a second estimate tomorrow from the Porsche recommended collision shop.

Quick Reply: Keyed + chips = repaint questions