997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing brake pads, need a bit of info ASAP

Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 AM
dwost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Pagid Yellow (29's) all around with great success. I agree blacks in the back will help settle the back. I can feel mine get a bit loose at times during threshold breaking but I'm used to it so there is no issue. I simply swap them out the night before and do a bleed, upon return put back in the stock pads. Works great and it's a simply swap. As stated, leave the shims out when on track
Old 09-07-2013, 01:28 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dwost
I run Pagid Yellow (29's) all around with great success. I agree blacks in the back will help settle the back. I can feel mine get a bit loose at times during threshold breaking but I'm used to it so there is no issue. I simply swap them out the night before and do a bleed, upon return put back in the stock pads. Works great and it's a simply swap. As stated, leave the shims out when on track
Why should you leave the shims out?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:37 AM
dwost
Advanced

I believe it's due to the heat and excessive force created. It could cause them to fail and end up lodged on the pistons. I was given this advice when I first started swapping them and have had no issues. Someone else can chime in on this with a more technical answer.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you install air ducts in front and rear? Gt3 or bigger gt2 ?

Based on how ebc pad looked your rotors were very hot.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Did you install air ducts in front and rear? Gt3 or bigger gt2 ?

Based on how ebc pad looked your rotors were very hot.
Strangely enough they were still stopping really well!!

I had the standard C2s ducts on front (nothing in rear), and have just put GT3 ducts in the front for this weekends session with the new PFC08 pads.

So, how do others that run same pads front and rear get heat into the rears to bed in? At the moment the 08 in the front is just overwhelming the front tyre grip and going into ABS braking all the time.

Last edited by floatingkiwi; 09-08-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

OK guys, need some help. Took the 08's out again to day to do a bedding procedure again and the mild judder experienced before with the old pads developed into an uncontrollable pedal judder and steering wheel shake - these are new 08 pads. Why is this happening? The new transfer layer looks like it should, slate-like powdery finish. I progressively heated the pads/discs until I could smell the pads and then long cool down run. About 10 medium stops, then 10ish hard stops, fighting front wheel abs lockup all the time, even with mild pressure. Still seems like front brakes are doing all the work and not getting any help from the rear. Is there some sort of pressure regulator to the rear brakes that is not working?

I have a track day this Friday and these "wonderful PFC08 pads" have killed it before I even start.

I am getting the front rotors machined tomorrow (rears were done before last pad change as above due to the EBC reds killing them) as this is the only thing left to do. I never had brake judder even with the stuffed EBC pads until I used the Pagid blues on the front. Now it's really bad with the 08's.

Does anyone have any wisdom for me?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floatingkiwi, I would look at other components before blaming the PFs for the judder. Alos, how are you determining that the rears aren't doing any work? Just by feel, or other visible or measurable reference? I want to suspect that your rear brake pistons are some what binding, making your fronts do all the work. Yes, there should be a pressure regulator to the rear brakes but I don't know enough of its reliability or method of function to comment. Oh, last but not least, our brake disc run very close tolerances. I might even suspect those machining work you are doing. Hope you get it worked out in time for the track day!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
OK guys, need some help. Took the 08's out again to day to do a bedding procedure again and the mild judder experienced before with the old pads developed into an uncontrollable pedal judder and steering wheel shake - these are new 08 pads. Why is this happening? The new transfer layer looks like it should, slate-like powdery finish. I progressively heated the pads/discs until I could smell the pads and then long cool down run. About 10 medium stops, then 10ish hard stops, fighting front wheel abs lockup all the time, even with mild pressure. Still seems like front brakes are doing all the work and not getting any help from the rear. Is there some sort of pressure regulator to the rear brakes that is not working?

I have a track day this Friday and these "wonderful PFC08 pads" have killed it before I even start.

I am getting the front rotors machined tomorrow (rears were done before last pad change as above due to the EBC reds killing them) as this is the only thing left to do. I never had brake judder even with the stuffed EBC pads until I used the Pagid blues on the front. Now it's really bad with the 08's.

Does anyone have any wisdom for me?
Not sure if this qualifies as wisdom, but my experience in resurfacing slotted and/or drilled rotors is 50-50 at best (I'm assuming you have drilled rotors). If your shop is a very high quality one and have done drilled rotors before then you may be ok. As I just read this full thread I think the advice has been pretty good. Yet after your last post yesterday, I immediately thought "rotors" too. From the description of the issue it sounds like front rotors are the likely candidate. If after you get them back and still have the shudder, I would not give up on the rotors being the issue as they could be warped due to heat/wear and not simply surface scars. I would be inclined to replace the front rotors and try the bedding/braking again. I can appreciate your frustrations ... been there, new rotors solved it in my case.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Thanks all - I had the front rotors skimmed yesterday and all is well! Well, until next time at least. All I can think is that the Pagids started to deposit badly, even though less than a quarter worn! I find it unlikely that the rotors had warped, as this is usually not the case?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:46 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have the correct RS29 pads in stock at discount, give me a shout :-)
Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Rah996
AutoX

hey guys... i have an 02 996 turbo with 40k miles on it...i need new front brake pads....what should i get... i drive abt 5k a yr....if you guys know how much it should cost to replace (parts+labor) that would help as well... thanks in advance for your help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing brake pads, need a bit of info ASAP