Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we just clean our engines using a pressure washer? What are the donts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rarely wash mine but when I do I spray it with Simple Green, let it soak about 10 min then rinse off on low pressure. Avoid any electrical connections.

Works great, inexpensive.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe this technique will be the method most used going forward:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_5/F...ad_Grime!.html
Old 05-19-2013, 03:06 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Simple green reacts with the aluminum. My detailer suggests a citrus base cleaner as others here have stated.....gr
Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Someone once "There are no dumb questons" They Lied
He's asking a valid question. Under-hood electrical connectors on American cars are waterproof...on German cars, they're generally not. He may have been doing this for a long time without incident...

Originally Posted by GR997S
Tough crowd.......
Indeed...

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Here is how I was my engine:

I DONT.
I've never been an engine. What's it like?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

The Best and Safest way to wash your engine is to use P21s Total Auto Wash http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...000-ml-Kit-S1/

Spray it on, use brushes to get the tight spots then hose off using no pressure.
This product is safe for aluminum, hoses, plastic, belts and wire harnesses
Old 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
He's asking a valid question. Under-hood electrical connectors on American cars are waterproof...on German cars, they're generally not.
where did you hear this nonsense?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

It seems there are some who clean some who do not clean their engines. The article shared by sullivas is unique, never heard of this technique but the pictures do impress, i have to get more info.
To those who do not clean, so many here share their detailing escapades, hiw they would clean all the nooks and cranny and spend the whole day doing the job. After which they would grab a beer and enjoy the fruit of their labor. The engine and engine bay, imho, should not be left off. I have cleaned it and the result made me smile. The connectors on the porsche look like they are sufficiently protected from water and after washing, the girl simply started up without much fuss. Pressure washer might not be a good idea as some suggested, and since pressure from tap is sufficient, maybe best to just use that.
"Tough crowd", i agree. I can only say to that for people who have not experieced something or have not done it, its not reality and may sound ridiculous. For other who have, it is reality and it becomes an ordinary matter. I think this applies for all situations, not only engine washing.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
where did you hear this nonsense?
I try not to repeat things that I "hear". I state things that I know. I've pressure washed the under-hood area on every American car that I've ever owned and never had a problem because their connectors are sealed. I've also owned several later-model VWs and Mercedes, and have been warned by all their associated dealers and owner's manuals not to wash under their hoods...for fear of electrical failures. And, after examining the German connectors, I can understand why: they're not sealed very well, if at all. So, I let them get grungy and take the ensuing flack from my friends...
Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM
vancilwa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several uses of best pressure washer.
When it comes to me, i use pressure washer for car wash, floor wash.

Last edited by vancilwa; 08-21-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 AM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have mentioned, cleaning an engine is often part of a full detail and I have always done it. A clean engine makes it easy to find leaks, keeps fasteners in tip top shape and avoids that caked on crud when you need to remove a component.

Citrus based cleaners are a good idea, I also use steam for really tough sections with a detail brush attached. I've been doing this for 20+ years and never had a problem. Obviously you need to be extremely careful anywhere air is meant to go (keep it blocked off) and also as others mentioned, the electrical connections.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:00 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any vehicle i do engine repairs on the engine gets power washed after repaired. if its really nasty itll get it before as well.

Mark
Old 08-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

You can use a pressure washer on some parts of an engine but generally speaking, it's a bad idea. It doesn't take much force to work water into electrical connections and into nooks and crannies where it doesn't belong. Plus, it makes an awful mess. There are so many angles, edges and curves in the engine compartment that you'll just wind up splattering filthy water all over the engine compartment, the exterior of the car and yourself.

A mild cleaner or a degreaser for oily residue, sprayed on and agitated lightly with a brush, then washed off with low-pressure hose water is usually sufficient. Be sure to keep the water away from any possible entry points into the intake.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:50 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
You can use a pressure washer on some parts of an engine but generally speaking, it's a bad idea. It doesn't take much force to work water into electrical connections and into nooks and crannies where it doesn't belong. Plus, it makes an awful mess. There are so many angles, edges and curves in the engine compartment that you'll just wind up splattering filthy water all over the engine compartment, the exterior of the car and yourself.

A mild cleaner or a degreaser for oily residue, sprayed on and agitated lightly with a brush, then washed off with low-pressure hose water is usually sufficient. Be sure to keep the water away from any possible entry points into the intake.
is this based on opinion or experience? Because i have 10 years experience working on these cars day in and day out and dont hesitate to power wash any part of the engine bay.

Mark
Old 08-15-2017, 07:00 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
is this based on opinion or experience? Because i have 10 years experience working on these cars day in and day out and dont hesitate to power wash any part of the engine bay.

Mark
I've used this http://www.gunk.com/products/cat_det.asp and a garden hose on all kinds of cars including three 997's for as long as I remember. Spray it on, let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse it off. Never covered anything up with plastic bags or anything else and never had an issue.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 AM
max540i
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
bad URL?

Quick Reply: Can we just clean our engines using a pressure washer? What are the donts?