Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Airbag light - help a 'lister out? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/748703-airbag-light-help-a-lister-out.html)

mgordon18 04-02-2013 12:14 AM

Airbag light - help a 'lister out?

I had to jump start my car last week and ended up with an airbag light that won't clear.

Would anyone in the NJ area with a Durametric cable care to help a brother out? I'd hate to have to spend a few hundred dollars for a dealer to clear it.

A 6-pack and a sandwich from the Millburn Deli are on me... Or maybe you like Tastee Subs?

Any takers?

Thanks in advance!

82_930 04-02-2013 02:59 AM

I had that problem, check your passenger seat or the sensor in the front bumper.

jhbrennan 04-02-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by mgordon18 (Post 10351834)
I had to jump start my car last week and ended up with an airbag light that won't clear.

Would anyone in the NJ area with a Durametric cable care to help a brother out? I'd hate to have to spend a few hundred dollars for a dealer to clear it.

A 6-pack and a sandwich from the Millburn Deli are on me... Or maybe you like Tastee Subs?

Any takers?

Thanks in advance!

Jump start = battery failure imminent - don't forget to change.

mgordon18 04-02-2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jhbrennan (Post 10352240)
Jump start = battery failure imminent - don't forget to change.

Already changed out the (only 1 year old) battery. Thanks. :)

Originally Posted by 82_930 (Post 10352074)
I had that problem, check your passenger seat or the sensor in the front bumper.

What would I be looking for? The light came on at the exact moment I was trying to start the car without enough battery voltage, hence the need for the jump start.

ecostellodo 04-02-2013 12:51 PM

I doubt this will work, but worth a shot. Disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes and then reconnect.

SARGEPUG 04-02-2013 01:20 PM

You replaced the battery, probably a waste of money! Mine went dead a few times on me and she is fine. I now keep it on trickle during the winter to avoid further issues. That being said, I have encounted many a warnig light issue after the inital jump. SPASM failure, airbags, etc, etc. I found that all cleared itself after a few restarts and some mileage. If you need an inspection soon, you will also need to put some miles the ecu to reset, otherwise it will fail.

mgordon18 04-02-2013 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG (Post 10352884)
You replaced the battery, probably a waste of money! Mine went dead a few times on me and she is fine. I now keep it on trickle during the winter to avoid further issues. That being said, I have encounted many a warnig light issue after the inital jump. SPASM failure, airbags, etc, etc. I found that all cleared itself after a few restarts and some mileage. If you need an inspection soon, you will also need to put some miles the ecu to reset, otherwise it will fail.

It's been slow-starting for months before finally konking out on me. I feel better having replaced it. It got so I was afraid to drive the car anywhere for fear of being stuck in a parking lot somewhere.

Since the replace, I've already driven over 80 miles with a handful of restarts. I would think that would be enough to reset the ecu, no?

SARGEPUG 04-02-2013 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mgordon18 (Post 10352913)
It's been slow-starting for months before finally konking out on me. I feel better having replaced it. It got so I was afraid to drive the car anywhere for fear of being stuck in a parking lot somewhere.

Since the replace, I've already driven over 80 miles with a handful of restarts. I would think that would be enough to reset the ecu, no?

That should be enough. You should simply bring it in to service and they will reprogram the software. Don't even mention that the battery was dead unless they ask, this way it will be covered by warranty, if you have one.

cairo94507 04-02-2013 08:06 PM

Wow- as soon as a car exhibits signs of slow starting/cranking, I replace the freakin' battery. It is not worth the grief I would get if my wife got stranded due to a dead or dying battery. Why take the chance of being stranded somewhere?

USMC_DS1 04-02-2013 09:18 PM

Get a trickle charger... my old M3 ate a battery every year until I hooked it up to a t-charger. Even the best t-chargers are only ~$125.

dbv1 04-02-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1 (Post 10354247)
Get a trickle charger... my old M3 ate a battery every year until I hooked it up to a t-charger. Even the best t-chargers are only ~$125.

I got the Porsche branded cigarette lighter trickle charger from the dealer for ~$80. Works like a hoot.

mgordon18 04-02-2013 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dbv1 (Post 10354382)
I got the Porsche branded cigarette lighter trickle charger from the dealer for ~$80. Works like a hoot.

My dealer gave me a trickle charger at delivery, so I've got one. I just don't like the idea of having to plug in my freaking car every night. It's a Porsche, not a Tesla. My garage doesn't have an easily accesible outlet, so it's kind of a pain in the butt to make it happen.

82_930 04-02-2013 11:26 PM

Jiggle all of the wires under the seat, make sure that they are connected. Without a PIWIS or equivalent tool, you will not be able to read the error codes.

The ECU needs 100 or 200 miles to reset.

sandwedge 04-03-2013 02:56 AM

Had the same thing on my -06 (passenger side). My dealer cleared it but it came on again the next day. Brought it back to the dealer and after about an hour of trouble shooting I was told the only fix was a new airbag. Car was under warranty at that time so no charge.

mjsporsche 04-03-2013 08:04 AM

Any takers?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if you are aware that the durametric cable requires that you register the car and it usually allows only 3 registrations. Maybe someone who has one or two remaining registrations can help you out.

If not, you will need to go to a dealer or Indy. And it might be more than just resetting the light.

Good luck and keep us posted.