Sponsored by:

Where do you service your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Another advantage of the dealership popped up today:

I took it in to get the annual service done, get a couple of warranty things taken care of, etc. They called to tell me that they discovered a problem with my electrical system that was putting a heavy load on the battery. I'll get more details later, but because of CPO, they covered what would've been a $2100 repair. Also, because it's the dealership, they had the parts in stock. I'm pretty happy to catch this now!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I DIY as much as I can in my own garage... call it occupational therapy but with each project I learn a bit more about the car... and what a fine machine it is. Of course, I still use the p-dealer and the CPO as a safety net for anything beyond my technical "weight class" or set of tools. And after two years of ownership and 58K miles on the odometer I've had to visit the p-dealer to replace the TPMS sensor and another for a steering column adjustment... all covered under the car's original warranty.

I've been setting aside $2K/yr during my initial two years of ownership to pay for service on the car. But in fact, I've only used ~$1K of the $4K saved on parts to DIY various maintenance/services items to date - oil changes, s-belt, air filters, plugs and coils, coolant flush, brake bleed, water pump replacement, etc... All very doable DIY projects and would have likely costed me $4-5K for the p-dealer to perform the same service. The rest of my savings have been used instead on various mods - exhaust system, CAI, plenum, throttle body, ECU remap, 3rd radiator, extended oil pan/baffle, etc. Gaining an in-depth knowledge of how to service the car is much like those old Visa commercials... simply priceless!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 AM
kevspada
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it depends on which part of the country you're in. Here in Chicago, we have 5 Porsche stealerships within a 30 mile radius. I have patronized 4 of the 5 dealers for service and for purchase of a car. Based on my experience, these dealers will charge you out the wazoo for ANY kind of service. They are able to command top dollar for EVERY aspect of service. My worst experience was when I had an oil change and a cabin air filter replaced. I was charged $540.00!!!! Also, to top it off, they told me I needed new tires!!! The tires were replaced 10 days prior and they still insisted I was in need of new tires!!! If you can find an independent mechanic, you are much better off. I have an indy here and thank God, he is honest, skillful, and substantially cheaper labor than the dealer. If you can find an indy, do it.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently heard a first hand story of a Boxter owner who had bought the car (some years ago) from an US dealership, he brought the car to the local Toronto dealership shortly after for a "free" winterizing inspection promotion.
He was told within 15 minutes that the serpentine belt needs to be replaced because it was "old and cracked", he did question how the mechanic can observe this that quickly when the Boxter engine is sandwiched between the seats and the rear trunk, and was told it can be seen through a small inspection hole.
He declined the work to be done, ordered the belt on line, and opened up the engine compartment to chane it himself at a later date, only to find out the belt on the engine looked brand new! No way it was "old and cracked" as it would have been done by the US dealership who had done a major service for one of the XXX mileage point before selling the car.
To this day the belt hangs on the wall in his garage.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
deverest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had my car a short while, but I have done an oil change, changed cabin and air filters, S belt (thanks for the DIY) and battery. I attempted the spark plugs, but I broke two bolts trying to get the exhaust off, an Indy is going to finish the plugs for me Monday. Dealer quoted me $750 for the plug change...oye!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 on DIY. Dealerships will just charge ridiculously high prices because they know they can get away with it because people are paranoid and will pay it because they're the dealer. Don't be suckered- these cars are no harder to do routine maintenance on than a genetic econobox. Easier, actually, with a lot of respects. Any shadetree mechanic (and by extension: any indie) can change the oil, plugs, etc.

I dont' care how unmechanical you are: if you ever pay someone to change a bulb or air filter for you, there's something wrong.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I do find it funny how many including me sometimes, buy expensive cars and then balk at the expense of maintenance. It goes hand in hand.
I'm in the industry and hear it every day "but, but, but...wow that's pricey" and I say "well you did buy a Benz, Acura etc, its no civic"
Having said that though, I'm a the dealer type. Build a good relationship & things get done right. If not there's alway someone higher complain to.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
I do find it funny how many including me sometimes, buy expensive cars and then balk at the expense of maintenance. It goes hand in hand.
I'm in the industry and hear it every day "but, but, but...wow that's pricey" and I say "well you did buy a Benz, Acura etc, its no civic"
Having said that though, I'm a the dealer type. Build a good relationship & things get done right. If not there's alway someone higher complain to.
There you go!!! Says it all!

Tom
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts

I go to an Indy. I track my car a lot, and the indy knows much more about how to maintain a track car then the dealer.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this question is more dependent on location and dealer quality than anything else. The fact is that many porsche dealers (especially smaller ones) do not employ the best technicians because the best techs often times start their own shops. To give you an example, for any significant air-cooled motor work, our local dealer sublets to the independent shop started & run by a factory trained master porsche tech who has been turning wenches for 30+ years and hasn't worked for a dealer for ~15-20 years.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by provoste
I think this question is more dependent on location and dealer quality than anything else. The fact is that many porsche dealers (especially smaller ones) do not employ the best technicians because the best techs often times start their own shops. To give you an example, for any significant air-cooled motor work, our local dealer sublets to the independent shop started & run by a factory trained master porsche tech who has been turning wenches for 30+ years and hasn't worked for a dealer for ~15-20 years.
+1... to keep operating cost low they tend to keep techs with a few years of experience. Just b/c you pay a lot doesn't mean that you got your moneys worth.

The pdealer I purchased my car from replaced my leaking RMS as a condition of purchase.. they forgot 2 bolts holding up my coolant hard line. This is the same dealer that charges $995 for an oil change.

Quick Reply: Where do you service your Porsche?