Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you service your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealership. Close to my house and the prices are reasonable.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
My dealership is pretty reasonable. The work they did on my car (springs/exhaust) was well under one independent, and slightly higher than another. Of course I got a loaner car and peace of mind, two things I couldn't take for granted at the independents...
I tried to get a loaner, but they wouldn't go for it. Might have something to do about me insisting on using their 997.2 GT3 for that, but who knows
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Try to do it myself. I like to do as much as I can because I enjoy it and also if I can save a big enough chunk of change to make it worthwhile (e.g. I would spend $30 for a Toyota oil change if it's $15 to DIY, but I would not spend $160-$200 for a Porsche oil change when it's $90ish to DIY.
2. If not possible to DIY, then either independent or dealer based on my confidence in either, price, and convenience (I am currently working on a side of town that is near to a good independent and a good dealer).
Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 AM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DIY for me, mainly because the nearest Porsche dealership is over 100 miles away. Easy on the wallet, not so easy on the free time on the weekend. For example, just finished oil change, new oil filter, new water pump, new thermostat, coolant flush, new plugs and coils, new serpentine belt, new air filter and new pollen filter. Various additional bits-n-bobs associated with that work, mainly gasket replacement associated with yanking additional parts to do the work. Total price in parts of roughly $600. Total time of about 20 hours to do all that work.

I'd guess that a dealership could do all that in a few hours. No idea the price. However, in my case I really enjoy the work so it's hard to put a price on my time. I have found that between online sites and the online workshop manual, there is plenty of information out there to do just about anything.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Why is everyone so worried about resale value?
If you maintain your car reasonably well, it should retain value.
Just enjoy it now, don't dwell on resale.
Larry is right... except that some of us are fickle and we like to change cars every few years.

When I was trying to trade-in my 996, the (lying, cheating) dealership that I was working with said that there was no history of the 30K service, so they were allowing me less on trade because they would have to do it. I got disgusted and left and ended up selling the car myself private party. The buyer had a PPI done, and the dealership doing the PPI also mentioned the lack of history on the 30K service. I explained to the seller that I had done it all myself, had the receipts to prove it, and he was happy with that.

I think the dealer cost on the 996 30K service was around $1200, FWIW. It cost me around $200-250 in parts.

I will do all of the non-warranty work on my 997.2 myself. I do my own services on the Panamera as well (oil change is $460 at the dealer). These are very well engineered cars and not difficult to work on, for basic maintenance.

As stated earlier in the thread, if you aren't comfortable with doing any of it, find a trustworthy independent who can often do the same work at a fraction of dealership prices.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

stealership
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Independent no question.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 761 Posts

I tried an oil change on mine few months back, piece of cake and fun. Looking forward to the next one. This being said, I'll probably take my car to the dealer for service at least while under warranty and in future if costs are comparable to Indy. Though I'm sure having a good Indy on your side is great. Dealer quoted $360 for oil and filter and whatever inspections they do (need to get a list)..whereas DIY was about $110 I think not incl some one time costs given it was my first time.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by iammulva
1. Try to do it myself. I like to do as much as I can because I enjoy it and also if I can save a big enough chunk of change to make it worthwhile (e.g. I would spend $30 for a Toyota oil change if it's $15 to DIY, but I would not spend $160-$200 for a Porsche oil change when it's $90ish to DIY.
2. If not possible to DIY, then either independent or dealer based on my confidence in either, price, and convenience (I am currently working on a side of town that is near to a good independent and a good dealer).
This -- +1
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I tried an oil change on mine few months back, piece of cake and fun. Looking forward to the next one. This being said, I'll probably take my car to the dealer for service at least while under warranty and in future if costs are comparable to Indy. Though I'm sure having a good Indy on your side is great. Dealer quoted $360 for oil and filter and whatever inspections they do (need to get a list)..whereas DIY was about $110 I think not incl some one time costs given it was my first time.
That is a lot, my dealer is around $200, I wonder why the difference is so much.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin

That is a lot, my dealer is around $200, I wonder why the difference is so much.
Might be a benefit of being In Canada...haha. Maybe I'll call the other local dealer and see what thy charge.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Might be a benefit of being In Canada...haha. Maybe I'll call the other local dealer and see what thy charge.
Hey SToroto where did you get your filter? And did you do the drain plug gasket (if so where'd you get that?) I'm about to do my oil which I picked up on sale a couple weeks ago at cdn tire, and planned to get the filter + drain plug gasket from Pfaff.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zer026T

Hey SToroto where did you get your filter? And did you do the drain plug gasket (if so where'd you get that?) I'm about to do my oil which I picked up on sale a couple weeks ago at cdn tire, and planned to get the filter + drain plug gasket from Pfaff.
I changed it all to new parts (filter and gaskets, drain plug and washer), I bought from Suncoast Porsche online. I ordered two sets and shipped to CBI. It was only worth it because I had a number of other things to pick up from CBI at the same time.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do it myself. I've ordered the filter kit from Suncoast in the past. I haven't priced how much a filter would be locally yet but I imagine I might save a few dollars in shipping costs for parts.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 AM
Lurgee
Intermediate

I have both a dealer and a good indy within 2 miles from my house and I've tried both. The dealer has been great on warranty issues, but definitely go to the indy for oil changes and such.

Quick Reply: Where do you service your Porsche?