997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of driving across the country in the 911.....some advice needed

Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

I've done Salt Lake City to Wichita many times in several different Porsches in both summer and winter. When doing it in the winter I had a small survival kit consisting of candle, space blanket, couple of MRE's, etc. Also the mechanical things like tire plug kit, belt, took kit were always covered. Never had any problems, even in the snow, and I've made the Laramie to Cheyenne leg with snow a couple of times. It really isn't very exciting just driving down the Interstate, but I never find it unpleasant.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s329
I understand that driving our 911 cross country is a romantic idea, but am I the only one that thinks this is bad idea? I trust the car a lot more than the unfamiliar surroundings on the way and think you're just asking for trouble. I'd rather do the trip in a beater SUV. I just don't want to risk beating up the car. It's bad enough when I have to drive on sub par roads locally in socal...since it's not my car I can encourage others that have made up their mind to do it, but honestly in don't see myself doing it in my car.
I have the opposite view. These cars are made for tough driving, and to me they come into their own on long drives. Admittedly, interstates are not that interesting, particularly if long, straight, and flat. But in curvy sections through mountains, these cars can be a lot of fun. On one of my trips in my 07 Targa I drove over 900 miles one day from Bend Oregon to So Cal, including through the mountains over to pick up I-5 at Stockton. So the mountain route added some fun to the boring leg from Stockton to LA. But I'd rather take a slight risk of minor road rash on long trips than to only drive it on short runs on local roads.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
rutz36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've crossed at least ten times in the past 40 years, all round-trips. Allowed me to watch the interstate system being constructed, actually. My last cross-country was about a year ago, Boston to San Francisco, in a 933. Weather was holding until I arrived in Toledo on I-80 and an ice storm came in from Canada. Then was simply a matter of heading south towards Louisville and St. Louis. Warmed up across Missouri and Oklahoma and was sunny across New Mexico and Arizona and into California. These trips are no longer the adventures they use to be when we'd carry water bags on the front bumper. Accomodations and fuel stations are plentiful. Just check the weather and make adjustments as needed. Enjoy your trip and welcome back.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand that driving our 911 cross country is a romantic idea, but am I the only one that thinks this is bad idea? I trust the car a lot more than the unfamiliar surroundings on the way and think you're just asking for trouble. I'd rather do the trip in a beater SUV. I just don't want to risk beating up the car. It's bad enough when I have to drive on sub par roads locally in socal...since it's not my car I can encourage others that have made up their mind to do it, but honestly in don't see myself doing it in my car.
I am so **** about my car that I hesitate to drive it for any number of reasons (parking, rain, bad roads, snow, too much luggage, what will people think, etc, etc,). I then see a thread about someone wanting to drive cross country and I begin to feel that I should drive my car more. I even make up my mind to drive it to work the next day, though it might be cloudy and I have to park in an unpaved lot. Then I see this post and I have a terrible set back. The car sits in the garage.

I have got to get out and drive my 997.2 more and stay off this forum!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

I'd say do it if you've got the time and don't mind putting the km/miles on the car. I've always wanted to drive the length of the PCH with mine, only had it a year so still may happen...also some of the other great roads u guys have in the US. I freak out about putting the km on it all the way out west and back.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Probably not the only one.

My thinking is if I could drive half way cross country and back (>4K miles) in a '89 Ford Tempo, a '96 Ford Mustang GT, an '01 Chevy Camaro, then I could darn well drive half way cross country in my 02 Boxster.

I also drove half way cross country in my 02 VW Golf TDi, my '06 GTO, and my 03 Turbo.

And for all of the above I did that half way cross country trip and back more than once.

The only cars I never ventured out of state with was a '71 Datsun 510 and early 70's Dodge D200 pickup (the gas mileage would have bankrupted me...).

Porsches are not made glass. Based on my experience they are some of the best road cars around. They're wasted just driving around town but to each his own.

Like having a nice yacht and leaving it tied up at the dock.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
I am so **** about my car that I hesitate to drive it for any number of reasons (parking, rain, bad roads, snow, too much luggage, what will people think, etc, etc,). I then see a thread about someone wanting to drive cross country and I begin to feel that I should drive my car more. I even make up my mind to drive it to work the next day, though it might be cloudy and I have to park in an unpaved lot. Then I see this post and I have a terrible set back. The car sits in the garage.

I have got to get out and drive my 997.2 more and stay off this forum!
As the OP, here are my thoughts on this topic. When I first got the 997 (my first Porsche) I was super **** about it...................didn't want to put too many miles on it etc. Over time I have come to realize that these cars are built to survive anything and love to be driven hard. I get more pleasure from driving the car than from looking at it. I'm still super **** about cleaning it, parking in the most remote spot in the lot, getting it serviced on time etc., but I drive it in all conditions all the time. In fact, even with Boston's severe winter this year, I drive it in the rain, sleet, snow, salt, you name it.........in fact the more inclement the weather, the more I love driving this car. I've also come to realize that it likely won't be my last 911......................if at some point it gets too used up............................there will be another one. That being said, if you wash regularly and treat the car well they can still look like new decades down the road and after 100K miles or more. I'm not saving my car for the next buyer...............and I'm not concerned down the road about 5-10 K in lost value because I drive it more than a garage queen. Enjoy your car....life is short.
The following users liked this post:
zgtexas (09-24-2021)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
As the OP, here are my thoughts on this topic. When I first got the 997 (my first Porsche) I was super **** about it...................didn't want to put too many miles on it etc. Over time I have come to realize that these cars are built to survive anything and love to be driven hard. I get more pleasure from driving the car than from looking at it. I'm still super **** about cleaning it, parking in the most remote spot in the lot, getting it serviced on time etc., but I drive it in all conditions all the time. In fact, even with Boston's severe winter this year, I drive it in the rain, sleet, snow, salt, you name it.........in fact the more inclement the weather, the more I love driving this car. I've also come to realize that it likely won't be my last 911......................if at some point it gets too used up............................there will be another one. That being said, if you wash regularly and treat the car well they can still look like new decades down the road and after 100K miles or more. I'm not saving my car for the next buyer...............and I'm not concerned down the road about 5-10 K in lost value because I drive it more than a garage queen. Enjoy your car....life is short.

I really want to have your philosophy and I am trying. I usually drive the dickens out of my cars and have some great memories centered around driving most of them. I am reaching the age that I should not be holding back on my experiences but I still find it difficult to jump in the P car to go to the grocery or even a trip to the beach without thinking about all the difficulties I might have, to include such inconsequential items like paint chips, bird droppings, and pine tar. Like Macaster, I have driven some cars now viewed as undependible for great distances. The TR6 carried me across the country and back as did the TR7 and the Corvette. Heck, even my crappy BMW 325 and Fiat did ok on a couple of long trips when they were out of the dealer's garage.

Best of luck with your trip. I think it would be a great experience.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

good luck, and I hope you enjoy, but I did that once (many years ago), and unless I had unlimited speed limit and a HOT car, you couldn't pay me to drive across country
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
Now that is the spirit!! The post from the other guy you quoted just made me sad and depressed.

I have driven cross country, Canada and the US, a bunch of times. Most recently last May over the 24 long weekend (your Memorial Day I guess). Picked up the car in Vancouver and drove back to Toronto with my son and his friend. Had the top down unless it was raining or snowing and it hit 40 through the mountain passes. We were lucky. Snow all around us but sunny skies

Take some of the safety stuff although all I had was my CAA membership (a dry cell hand held cb radio really?). Unless you are really out there a cell phone is all you really need.

Plan the driving route for sure. But my best experiences are to just get in the car and drive. If you HAVE to reach somewhere then it detracts from the experience. I drove till I didn't want to drive any more and stopped where we felt like. Found some cool spots and had a blast

DO IT!! You will not regret it
Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Now that is the spirit!! The post from the other guy you quoted just made me sad and depressed.

I have driven cross country, Canada and the US, a bunch of times. Most recently last May over the 24 long weekend (your Memorial Day I guess). Picked up the car in Vancouver and drove back to Toronto with my son and his friend. Had the top down unless it was raining or snowing and it hit 40 through the mountain passes. We were lucky. Snow all around us but sunny skies.

I'm curious how 3 adults fared in your cab on that trip from Vancouver to Toronto. I've driven that route a few times in my life, but never in the back seat of a Porsche. BTW, Memorial Day is the weekend after the Victoria Day Canadian long weekend.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1

I have driven cross country, Canada and the US, a bunch of times. Most recently last May over the 24 long weekend (your Memorial Day I guess). Picked up the car in Vancouver and drove back to Toronto with my son and his friend. Had the top down unless it was raining or snowing and it hit 40 through the mountain passes. We were lucky. Snow all around us but sunny skies

Take some of the safety stuff although all I had was my CAA membership (a dry cell hand held cb radio really?). Unless you are really out there a cell phone is all you really need.

Plan the driving route for sure. But my best experiences are to just get in the car and drive. If you HAVE to reach somewhere then it detracts from the experience. I drove till I didn't want to drive any more and stopped where we felt like. Found some cool spots and had a blast

Well said. I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 AM
DWF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys crack me up. It sounds like you are planning to go to Everest. Get a AAA membership and bring a credit card that's all you need---or skip the AAA membership and just bring the credit card. I have traveled across the country numerous times on a motorcycle and have never put this much thought into it.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Throw away underware and socks after use (motorcycle trick) Notifiy your credit card company what our doing so they don't turn it off....
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm curious how 3 adults fared in your cab on that trip from Vancouver to Toronto. I've driven that route a few times in my life, but never in the back seat of a Porsche. BTW, Memorial Day is the weekend after the Victoria Day Canadian long weekend.
Well if you call 2 16 years olds adults!!

I really wanted to take my son for the trip as its a good experience and he wanted to bring a friend as well. Since I was the only driver I explained that there wasnt a lot of room for 2 6ft tall guys in addition to me (I have a 993 as well so my son already knew this). However that did not deter them and off we went. They took turns in the back every few hours and in fact i think the record was about 6 hours in the back. Its amazing what pretzels 16 yr old boys can twist themselves in to!!

We actually had a great time and we have very fond memories of it. As mentioned I planned the route but we just drove till we wanted to stop and found some neat small towns etc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of driving across the country in the 911.....some advice needed