Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Replacement TPMS (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/746878-replacement-tpms.html)

Iceter 03-22-2013 12:57 AM

Replacement TPMS

I've been shopping for TPMS for a set of new 19" wheels on my '09 C2. I've found prices as low as $50 each up through the stratosphere for Porsche units.

Does anyone have any experience with any particular brands? This is a situation of function over form. As long as they work, I couldn't care less who makes them, but I don't want to go to the trouble of having them installed if there are some units floating around out there that are known to be troublesome.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the inexpensive units. Local tire place will break my beads, install and re-balance for $100.

IslandS52 03-22-2013 03:32 AM

I bought a set from OEwheels. $169 shipped for ITM Universal fits and they work/function as OEM, with no special programming or intervention needed. just call to make sure you get the right frequency. the website is a little confusing.

Iceter 03-22-2013 11:15 AM

Great info--even less expensive than I anticipated.

I have an '09 so I believe all the '09s use the 433Mhz sensors. I see only one listed for my car and the price is $164 plus shipping--and they include stems.

Barring some negative input from others, this may be the way to go. Thanks again!

fjasione997 03-22-2013 07:22 PM

A direct link? I can't speak on the quality or the compatibility. GL

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...ssure-Sensor_2

kcheves 03-23-2013 12:55 PM

I second the recommendation for OEwheels sensors. Installed mine yesterday, and the system trained itself in < w20 miles.

ACD22 03-24-2013 12:32 PM

If you prefer OEM, these are the best price I found: http://www.shoptpms.com/Audi_Bentley...S_p/s0077k.htm

GR997S 03-25-2013 10:28 PM

I bought Porsche brand for about $130 per wheel. No issues and don't have to worry about time and expense of replacing the non oem....GR

Iceter 03-26-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by GR997S (Post 10332175)
I bought Porsche brand for about $130 per wheel. No issues and don't have to worry about time and expense of replacing the non oem....GR

What time and what expense? My wheels don't have TPMS so OEM or aftermarket, I have to have new ones installed. Same amount of time.

If I can get aftermarket pieces that work the same as factory for half the price, I'm just not seeing the value proposition in paying twice as much.

I'm certainly open to paying for OEM if there's a compelling reason to do so, but so far, I haven't found one.

Iceter 03-26-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ACD22 (Post 10327849)
If you prefer OEM, these are the best price I found: http://www.shoptpms.com/Audi_Bentley...S_p/s0077k.htm

ACD, good link. Actually, the ones you referenced were through 2008. The 2009 TPMS were $20 cheaper. Thanks.

GR997S 03-26-2013 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Iceter (Post 10333354)
What time and what expense? My wheels don't have TPMS so OEM or aftermarket, I have to have new ones installed. Same amount of time.

If I can get aftermarket pieces that work the same as factory for half the price, I'm just not seeing the value proposition in paying twice as much.

I'm certainly open to paying for OEM if there's a compelling reason to do so, but so far, I haven't found one.

If they fail or last a shorter time, what is yout time worth to take the tires of the wheeel and replace the unit. Time is money.....gr

Iceter 03-28-2013 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by GR997S (Post 10334035)
If they fail or last a shorter time, what is yout time worth to take the tires of the wheeel and replace the unit. Time is money.....gr

That's true (and it's amazing how few people recognize that time is money) but I see alot of people on the forum who forget that money is money, too.

The reason I posted the question is to see if there is any reason not to go aftermarket. In my short period of research, I have found no reason to believe that aftermarket sensors will last any more or less time than the Porsche-branded units.

I just don't buy into the idea that all Porsche parts are better than all aftermarket ones--especially when the parts aren't even made by Porsche. Assuming the parts are functionally identical, the added cost of the Porsche part adds zero value.

I have ordered the OE Wheels TPMS and I will definitely post updates as to both their fit and quality. If they don't work right or last only a couple years, I will let everyone know.

Iceter 04-04-2013 01:32 PM

Update

I had the OEWheels TPMS installed yesterday at a Discount Tire store. $96 to have the beads broken, TPMS installed and wheels re-balanced. Total cost of the project $265 plus a couple hours removing, cleaning and re-installing the wheels. By the way, OEWheels shipped the sensors the day I ordered them and they arrived in the mail three days later.

Took the car out on the beltline last night and the PCM learned the new sensors within about two miles.

I'll update if I have any problems or when any of the batteries die.

Wolfk 04-04-2013 03:40 PM

How about posting a pic of your cab with those nice new wheels :D

rijowysock 04-04-2013 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i have a set off a 2012 cayman R, 433mhz

but bought a 2007 997 turbo, 433mhz

on tire rack they list them as diff part numbers but does anyone have a clue if they will work? i know the new pcm runs differently than old but if people are "only" matching up the frequency then they should?

below, shows same frequency, but different price.. any reason why?

c4s911 04-05-2013 07:03 AM

TPMS

Just had mine replaced this week. PILOT brand for $68, 433 mhz, worked fine, sinked pretty fast. Installer gave 5 yr warranty replacement if any issues. Much for cost effective than Porsche price, so now time will tell