Sponsored by:

Blinking engine light, need help interpreting engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Blinking engine light, need help interpreting engine codes

This is for my friend's 2005 C2S. Starting it produces a blinking check engine light and a message in the console to check the engine. That doesn't sound too good. I pulled the codes and these are all of them on the engine (Motronic 7.8):

P0564
Cruise control operating lever

P0300
Factory Fault Code 507 - Misfire detection

P0303
Factory Fault Code 510 - Misfire, cylinder 3

The car has been sitting in storage all winter. It was idled once all winter. P0564 is obviously nothing that would cause a blinking engine light. The misfires could be a dirty MAF (I suspect). I don't understand why the engine light would blink because of misfires.

Any insight is very welcome. I'm going to suggest to my friend to have it towed instead of driving if it has to go into a mechanic.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Flashing check engine light,do not drive the car,do not even start it.
A dirty MAF is not going to cause a Flashing CEL.
Did you notice black smoke coming out of the pipes when it was running?
It could be something as simple as low battery voltage,that sometimes brings all kinds of errors,but no matter what I wouldn't risk it!
Also,imagine that gas has been sitting in the tank for months...
There could be a few reasons...

Last edited by neanicu; 03-20-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

No black smoke but the car war only running for about 10 seconds before we shut it off.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dbv1
No black smoke but the car war only running for about 10 seconds before we shut it off.
How was it running during those 10s? Was it running rough,shaky?
I'd say to charge the battery very well,bring some fresh gas etc and then try again,but I think I shouldn't suggest that,for peace of mind better have it scanned with a Porsche PIWIS first if possible. That might reveal more...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

It was sounding a little rough according to my friend. Is it possible this is just a shot coil or plug on cylinder 3?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dbv1
It was sounding a little rough according to my friend. Is it possible this is just a shot coil or plug on cylinder 3?
It is very possible,but what I'm puzzled with is why the flashing CEL?!
Everyone knows : CEL On-can drive a bit,have it checked ASAP.
Flashing CEL-pull over right away,shut off the engine.
If it was just a misfire on 3,the CEL wouldn't flash,it'll just come on.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
majariwr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking to my Indy about warning signs of IMS failure, he's seen at least one (lucky) instance of the CEL coming on (don't know about flashing) before the engine blew up. CEL could be a thousand things but your car (like mine, also a 2005 C2S) is unfortunately in the sweet spot for IMS failure. Don't mean to scare you, but if it were me, I'd count myself lucky and have it thoroughly checked before starting the engine again. That said, I don't know how they'd diagnose an imminent IMS failure before it happens.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Flashing CEL means flatbed it to the dealer or a good Indy. No point in risking turning it on again.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

I hear you. We have a single dealer here in town and they're super cheeky because there's no competition so I avoid them. We'll call a good local indy and get the ball rolling.

I still think this is probably just a shot plug/coil on #3 but still, no reason to risk.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Sexonwheels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flashing CEL means PCM is detecting an engine miss fire, this is supported by the codes you posted. Change the one spark plug because they are cheap, swap the coil from one cylinder to another making not of where you put it. then restart and run the unit long enough to let it warm up rescan for codes if the problem goes away it was the plug, if it doesn't and it moved to the new cylinder you swapped coils with you just confirmed 100 % that its the coil. Good chance the plug is just fouled from starting for short periods of time over the winter while parked.Good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexonwheels
Flashing CEL means PCM is detecting an engine miss fire, this is supported by the codes you posted. Change the one spark plug because they are cheap, swap the coil from one cylinder to another making not of where you put it. then restart and run the unit long enough to let it warm up rescan for codes if the problem goes away it was the plug, if it doesn't and it moved to the new cylinder you swapped coils with you just confirmed 100 % that its the coil. Good chance the plug is just fouled from starting for short periods of time over the winter while parked.Good luck
This is good advice, but if you are not a DIYer tow it in. Owners manual says cats can be damaged by misfires. So you don't want to drive it.

Quick Reply: Blinking engine light, need help interpreting engine codes