Auto door locking without Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts
Default Auto door locking without Sport Chrono

Believe it or not, neither my dealer's service manager nor the shop foreman understands this auto door locking issue and the PCM manual appears to not be clear.

2009 C2S Coupe

I don't have sport chrono and therefore I can not set the auto door locking feature. Correct??? The menu item is are "Individual Memory".

I asked my dealer to set the locking feature, which he said he could do, then something odd happened.. I was with the mechanic as he did the programming. He could set the locking feature with the Porsche computer, he could set it fine, it would work once, then the programming reset to blank. He was astounded. He then told me he never saw this happen and had to call Porsche. The feedback was that only I could set this feature.... and of course, the menu item is missing on the screen.

I concluded that it was because I don't have Sport Chrono. Interested none of the three parties (including "Porsche") could give me an accurate answer.

Opinions?

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the '07 this is managed by the PCM and isn't related to the Sport Chrono at all. Odd that Porsche would have removed this capability. Does the PCM in your car not have the Indivdual Memory setting option on Settings screen ?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadio
On the '07 this is managed by the PCM and isn't related to the Sport Chrono at all. Odd that Porsche would have removed this capability. Does the PCM in your car not have the Indivdual Memory setting option on Settings screen ?
Not true for the 07 I had. You had to have SC to set the auto door locks yourself. I also had an 08 without SC and could not set the auto door locks myself, same on my 2012 GTS.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It is missing. There are two menu items only, one for the steering wheel features, and the other I don't remember. One menu item is at the top of the screen, the other the bottom clearly showing a few missing items. One is Individual Memory that is missing.

Bruce
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Believe it or not, neither my dealer's service manager nor the shop foreman understands this auto door locking issue and the PCM manual appears to not be clear.

2009 C2S Coupe

I don't have sport chrono and therefore I can not set the auto door locking feature. Correct??? The menu item is are "Individual Memory".

I asked my dealer to set the locking feature, which he said he could do, then something odd happened.. I was with the mechanic as he did the programming. He could set the locking feature with the Porsche computer, he could set it fine, it would work once, then the programming reset to blank.

Opinions?

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Is it possible that you changed keys when the programming reverted back to no auto door locks? I am pretty sure on my 2007 with SC, when I set the auto door lock feature, I had to set it twice, once for each key. If I only set it for one key, it work work with that key, but not with the other one.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Is it possible that you changed keys when the programming reverted back to no auto door locks? I am pretty sure on my 2007 with SC, when I set the auto door lock feature, I had to set it twice, once for each key. If I only set it for one key, it work work with that key, but not with the other one.

Nope, same key. The Porsche tech used this key when he programmed via the PS2 (?) computer hook up.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Nope, same key. The Porsche tech used this key when he programmed via the PS2 (?) computer hook up.
I have no idea then. I haven't tried to have the dealer program 08 or 2012 for auto locks, but did do it myself with the Individual Memory function that came with the SC on my 2007. Maybe since your car is a 2009 and therefore a 997.2, the dealer can't program the function as Porsche said. Maybe they could only do the programing on a 997.1 PCM. Maybe on the 997.2 PCM, you have to have SC for it to work.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx for your help.

My 2000 Boxster S had this capability... you just requested what you wanted and the dealer programed it.

Apparently, Porsche felt the need to defeature the PCM system as part of its "you get more if you spend more money" plan... as do all car companies. I am just disappointing they defeatured what I consider a safety item. Living in Philadelphia... well, ..... nuff said.

Peace
Bruce
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

If the car sits more than a week, the key ID function is disabled to save the battery. To reset it, place the key in the door lock and click the lock button on the key. This restarts the ID function. Not saying this is the problem but worth a check. Dave
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Not true for the 07 I had. You had to have SC to set the auto door locks yourself. I also had an 08 without SC and could not set the auto door locks myself, same on my 2012 GTS.
I stand corrected. My car came with SC but I am more than a little surprised that one has anything to do with the other. Wonder how the Porsche marketing guys came to concensus on that one.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Yes, weird. My '09 has SC and I just changed this function myself last week. What possible connection could SC have with how you lock and unlock your doors?

Personally, I'm about to change it back. I am annoyed by having to pull my interior door handle twice to open the door once they autolock.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dadio
I stand corrected. My car came with SC but I am more than a little surprised that one has anything to do with the other. Wonder how the Porsche marketing guys came to concensus on that one.
So they could add a little more enticement to get a buyer to pay for SC to get the individual memory settings.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ooops.... ignore this....

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-14-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Total screw up....

Quick Reply: Auto door locking without Sport Chrono