Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge face/cluster swap. Red ---> White

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Gauge face/cluster swap. Red ---> White

My car came with the optional red faced gauges and while they look nice, I think I prefer the standard white/silver faced that came in the S models. Are these sealed units or is it easy enough to change the gauge face color?

If not, is a gauge cluster swap feasible? I reckon new units would be expensive but perhaps folks swap them? Red for a white for instance?

I was hoping to learn a little bit about my options and the process.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Swapping the cluster in itself is not a problem at all. The problem, however, comes with the mileage recorded with each.

I've been told by the dealer the PIWIS system cannot roll back mileage on a cluster.....it can only advance mileage. I don't know this for fact but I suspect PIWIS could do either and it's the dealer that won't do it if you provided them with a cluster that had higher mileage on it than the unit being replaced and it needed to be rolled back to match the actual mileage on the car.

Given this, I've been researching red gauge faces and have come up with about a $1000 job. $700 for the gauge faces ( sourced from FVD in Florida ) and two hours labor for the dealer to do it.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think the milage is recorded in the cluster itself. I had mine changed under warranty
and I asked about the milage on the new cluster. I was told that the milage could not and will not be altered. And I doubt that the tech had "re-enter" the miles from the old cluster. The new cluster will simply display the same miles that were on the previous one.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 210 Posts

Clusters can only be set to a different mileage if they have less than 100 (?) miles on them.
The only shop who I know which will change the mileage is Palo Alto Speedometer (for about $200).

You can change the faces, there are some DYI articles out there (I know I saw one on Planet 9 one), but you have to be super careful when you take the needles off and replace them, you can very easily break the very fragile mechanisms inside the gauges.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

It seems to make sense that the mileage would be stored somewhere other than just the cluster. I'll have to inquire next time I stop by my dealer.

When changing faces do you end up removing the current face or just overlaying another one on top? I didn't know if the red OEM faces I have are simply factory overlays.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

probably not relevant, but when purchasing my car I noticed a "foggy" patch in one of the plastic lenses on the cluster. It couldn't be wiped away, almost as if something had been sprayed in the vehicle that impregnated the thin plastic. I told the dealer I would like to order a replacement lens. He said that's not possible, that the whole cluster has to be replaced. He ended up replacing the entire cluster under warranty.

Having said that, I have since removed my cluster while installing some interior mods, and I know that there's a DIY for the gauge dials on 6speed (pretty sure, anyway). Haven't tried it, but it stands to reason that it could be done. The key is probably getting the replacement that you want. After that, it's all about patience and money, I figure.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Zack449
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello I would love to buy the red guages after you make the swap if you are interested. Thanks Ed
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
svt1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the standard white cluster in my S. Honestly, I prefer the base car cluster with the white numerals on black background. Far easier to read. If I was ever going to make a change, it would be to the standard cluster.

During dusk hours, the numerals are very difficult to read as the backlighting causes them to 'blend' into the white background coloring a little too much.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 210 Posts

here are the instructions from the Planet9 web-site, they are for a Cayman, but I am pretty sure that most of it applies to a 997 as well:
http://www.planet-9.com/planet-9-art...faceplate.html
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Red and LOVE them, but I also have Red Seat Belts to add to the Contrast. It is actually one of my favorite parts of the car and I have no issue what so ever reading them.

I would bet you could find someone that will swap with you no problem.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

I also have red seat belts and the gauges are a nice match. Hmm, maybe I'm overreacting and should log some more miles before deciding to swap.

I did notice when people sell used clusters the red always commands a decent premium over the white. So they must be in a bit of demand.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The instrument gauges are fairly easy to swap.
I used a set from FVD and the fitment was excellent.
To change the gauges of the chrono however, you need to be a skilled watch maker....
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

I'm also thinking of doing a gauge swap. I want to switch mine out however to the canadian or perhaps german version - my car's from the states and I'd like to ditch the mph & fahrenheit etc for metric. Plus if I got a german version, the german text would be neat.

I agree with svt1 - the black w/ white numbers is much better than the white faces.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 AM
seals9121
AutoX

.... the millage is storage in the cluster of course ... don't guess.
1. piwis can't dail millage back or forward. i don't think "set total millage " functions works after 1000 miles .
2. millage storage in cluster yes ,but also transmission module and ... lol
3. why worry about alter the millage, to change it you don't even need to take the cluster out.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
I also have red seat belts and the gauges are a nice match. Hmm, maybe I'm overreacting and should log some more miles before deciding to swap.

I did notice when people sell used clusters the red always commands a decent premium over the white. So they must be in a bit of demand.
Give it some more time. Red gauges and belts with black interior is a winner. Not sure about white gauges and red belts though......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge face/cluster swap. Red ---> White