Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY oil change without torque wrench, Y/N?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
robwebb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY oil change without torque wrench, Y/N?

I've been reading here about DIY oil & filter change and I've bought the necessary tools, filters and seals but I do not have a torque wrench, has anybody just tightened things to reasonable firmness without one? There is one in the local hardware store but at outrageous expense which I'm trying to avoid, sort of defeats the econimic side of DIY (but not the satisfaction).

Thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Only the super **** retentive ones use a torque wrench. Just get it tight but not too tight and you are good to go.

Doubtful that your mechanic uses a torque wrench.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

I did my oil for the first time on my 997.2 this weekend. Though I did use two torque wrenches I already own, I would say they are not necessary. The 25 Nm spec on the plastic oil filter cap is really a no brainer. Just make sure it is threaded properly by starting it by hand and you'll know when the plastic cover is flush and can't be tightened any further. No need to over tighten. As far as the drain plug. 37 ft lb is really just setting it to a snug fit as on any other car. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I used the old glove tight method. Plastic doesn't allow for much torque. You can easily check for any leaks.

If it were a plastic tranny cover, I'd be more concerned bolts were torqued to spec and tightened in the proper order.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

This business is just not that critical.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd actually caution against torque wrench on oil plug. On my M3, I kept waiting for torque wrench to click and eventually broke off head and and had to get an extractor to get it out. Probably more of an issue with the wrench but now I just get it snug and have never had any issues.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get a torque wrench for around $60 at Home Depot, mine works great.

With that said I have never used it for an Oil Change.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I have a lift,five cars,commercial oil catch container and have never torqued a drain plug.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I plan to change my oil later this year. I have a torque wrench that's gonna be used.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I don't use torque wrenches for oil changes either, but worst case, you can buy one for $10 from harbor freight. Accuracy would be crap for engine building (+/- 4%) but for this kinda stuff, I'd say it would get you in the ballpark.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't use torque wrenches for oil changes either, but worst case, you can buy one for $10 from harbor freight. Accuracy would be crap for engine building (+/- 4%) but for this kinda stuff, I'd say it would get you in the ballpark.
This^

I must be weird, I've always used a torque wrench for tightening the drain plug and especially the plastic oil filter housing when I had a 996.

When you can get a torque wrench for $10 at HF, why would you not use it? The only way you can be certain that the aluminum crush washer (which you replace every time you remove the drain plug, right? It's only 20 cents) is crushed appropriately is by torquing the drain plug.

Also - you risk cracking the plastic oil filter housing on the 996 or 997.1 if you over-tighten it. I can imagine you could also strip the aluminum housing on the 997.2 if you over-tighten it.

We're driving $100k cars here folks, do your maintenance correctly.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by robwebb
I've been reading here about DIY oil & filter change and I've bought the necessary tools, filters and seals but I do not have a torque wrench, has anybody just tightened things to reasonable firmness without one? There is one in the local hardware store but at outrageous expense which I'm trying to avoid, sort of defeats the econimic side of DIY (but not the satisfaction).

Thanks in advance
Don't do it.

Given the soft (aluminum and plastic) parts that have to be screwed down, and the consequences of over or under-tightening, I'd not try it. Spend the $100 on a torque wrench.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
I have a lift,five cars,commercial oil catch container and have never torqued a drain plug.
I occasionally j-walk to get across the street and haven't been hit by a vehicle either.

That doesn't mean its a good idea.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
PaulLA
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never used a torque wrench on my Japanese cars (I was young and dumb and didn't have the pocket change to acquire one) and have never had an issue. I tighten the drain bolt to the point of seeing the washer compress and hand tighten the oil filter to the suggested 3/4 to one full turn.
I have worked on my pop's 80s Mercedes diesel and never torqued things down either.
My first time working on the C4S, I had my certified mechanic shadow me. Suffice to say, the only we torque was the wheel bolts. He advised to always hand thread everything to start. With the drain bolt, tighten to crush the washer...that is why they are called crush washers. As for the plastic oil filter canister, just hand tighten after rubber seal contacts the base. I was **** and wanted to make sure to do it to a "t", but it is not necessary and he confirmed.
I have tried a torque wrench applied to a drain plug and oil filter and they do seem too high of a setting to apply. Like the person with the M3, way too much.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Use a torque wrench... it's a slippery slope once you start believing that you can guestimate how tight something should be. BTW, how would you gauge how tight it should be w/o a torque wrench in the 1st place. You'll start with not critical things at 1st then the next time you'll just guest the torque on something more critical such as the water pump. BTW, the oil drain plug is considered no big deal until you strip threading or don't have it in tight enough and it works it's way out. It's a worth while investment. GL.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change without torque wrench, Y/N?