Boston Area dealer advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Boston Area dealer advice needed

Guys,
I've recently moved from the SF area to the South Shore of Boston and my car is due for a 30K service in a few weeks. I think the closest dealer to me is in Norwell, but I work in Boston and know where Herb Chambers is too.
Norwell is probably more convenient for me, but I wanted to know if anyone can recommend them...if they're not highly recommended, any other suggestions would be great. I love my baby and am about as an#$ about it as it gets.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always received good service at Porsche of Nashua NH, just over the border from MA. It may not be the closest dealer to you but perhaps worth considering if you don't mind the drive.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Norwell is awesome and excellent to deal with. I have used them almost exclusively for my Spyder over the past two years. Make sure you take advantage of their free tech days when they invite you to for a free inspection. The inspection is really not the important part of this, it's the opportunity to meet the tech's and get to know them. Treating them nicely goes a long ways. I'm going to miss them.

A good alternative is Porsche of Westwood, not nearly as personable but excellent service none the less. I would avoid Chambers and Porsche of Warwick, neither have the greatest reputation for service.

A little tip to get top notch service, bring some bagels/cream cheese when you go in for service. The extra $20 will be worth it.

Good luck with the move.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are really have to use a dealer for warranty concerns I would agree with John that Porsche of Nashua has an excellent mechanic. They will give a loaner. I would't go to Chambers especially in Burlington (they lost a great guy last year).

As far as non dealers places there are plenty of very good reputable shops. Let me know and I can advice.
Good luck.

-------------------
Igor
MY 05 997 C2S
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never gotten service, just bought my Porsche 2 weeks ago, but I can say Norwell was a pleasure to deal with on the sales side. I did not end up buying from them, but they were great to deal with.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Norwell is awesome and excellent to deal with. I have used them almost exclusively for my Spyder over the past two years. Make sure you take advantage of their free tech days when they invite you to for a free inspection. The inspection is really not the important part of this, it's the opportunity to meet the tech's and get to know them. Treating them nicely goes a long ways. I'm going to miss them.

A good alternative is Porsche of Westwood, not nearly as personable but excellent service none the less. I would avoid Chambers and Porsche of Warwick, neither have the greatest reputation for service.

A little tip to get top notch service, bring some bagels/cream cheese when you go in for service. The extra $20 will be worth it.

Good luck with the move.
Just noticed your moving, with the cost of living in KC you should be able to put a 911 next to your Spyder.

Good luck with the move!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys,

I think I'll give Norwell a shot. I'm in Cohasset so it's not too far away.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997at
Thanks guys,

I think I'll give Norwell a shot. I'm in Cohasset so it's not too far away.
By the way welcome to New England!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
svt1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought our S4 from Audi Norwell, the sister dealership to their Porsche franchise connected next door. They are very pleasant to deal with.

The last time I was at there service department, I noticed a large amount of sevce people speaking with German accents, which was not only "quaint", but reassuring!

I haven't brought my Porsche there yet as I haven't owned it long enough yet for service to be needed.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM
A2b
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from Chambers in Boston as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

None of the Porsche dealers in the Boston area are great. other cities have better options. Best of luck with your choice, enjoy the nice roads in Cohasset.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
funati
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Norwell

I bought my 997.2 from them this summer and had it shipped to Canada. Cannot say enough positive things about Steve Delongchamp and the rest of the good folks there. I cannot imagine you will be disappointed and only wish I could use them for service.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine (a CPO at the time) from Herb Chambers in Burlington and had an abysmal post-sale experience. There were multiple service/repair issues that took far too long and too many visits to resolve - and I resolved never to use their service department again. For my money, the two best dealers up this way are Ira of Danvers (where PCA members get a 20% discount on Porsche parts) and Nashua, where my car is generally serviced. Excellent service team up there and loaners are readily available.

That said, since you're in Cohasset you'll find it much more convenient to deal with Norwell. Good luck and welcome!

Gene
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the great advice and the welcomes too.
If there are any opportunities to meet up as a group (cars and coffee type thing) or go for drives I'd love to tag along. Is that something that folks have organized in the Boston area before?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if you have this info already, but just in case;
Do you do Autocross or DEs. We have one of the best Autocross areas.
It's located on the old Fort Devens airfield in Ayer MA.

If you don't belong already, here is the site for NER, the local PCA club.
http://www.porschenet.com/JCMS/

You can also check out NER (NH).
http://www.ncr-pca.org/

They both host great events.

Quick Reply: Boston Area dealer advice needed