Boston Area dealer advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
Guys,
I've recently moved from the SF area to the South Shore of Boston and my car is due for a 30K service in a few weeks. I think the closest dealer to me is in Norwell, but I work in Boston and know where Herb Chambers is too.
Norwell is probably more convenient for me, but I wanted to know if anyone can recommend them...if they're not highly recommended, any other suggestions would be great. I love my baby and am about as an#$ about it as it gets.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
I've been in the South Shore for 17 years. Since the "Village Auto Group" purchased Rietzl Porsche/Audi and turned it into Porsche/Audi of Norwell, I've noticed a very positive difference. Not saying that Rietzl was bad in anyway, I just thought the new management was THAT much better.

Originally Posted by svt1
We bought our S4 from Audi Norwell, the sister dealership to their Porsche franchise connected next door. They are very pleasant to deal with.

The last time I was at there service department, I noticed a large amount of sevce people speaking with German accents, which was not only "quaint", but reassuring!
The fact that the guys behind the desk were German is interesting. Not to say that they necessarily knew anything about cars (i.e. - just because they're German, we don't want to apply any stereotypes), but I can attest that they have been very customer focused. The service manager Wayne Cahill has been very good to me. I have 2 Porsches and an Audi.

Originally Posted by funati
I bought my 997.2 from them this summer and had it shipped to Canada. Cannot say enough positive things about Steve Delongchamp and the rest of the good folks there. I cannot imagine you will be disappointed and only wish I could use them for service.
+1 for Steve Delongchamp. Although I haven't purchased a car specifically from him (yet), I am considering getting a new 981.

Why don't you stop by at the "How to Buy or Sell a Porsche" session on April 7 from 11-2pm? It should be a good session.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 139 Posts

Run (drive) as fast as you can from Herb Chambers in Boston. The WORST post purchase experiences in my many many years of buying cars....l

Matt
Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 AM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the East Coast 997AT > you will soon curse the roads here.! I have purchased a few cars at Westwood Porsche; Steve is the service manager and very nice to work with. I have received good service there. I have also heard Norwell is good.
Say - i agree with a spring drive soon - perhaps we send out an email in a few weeks ?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny story about Herb Chambers. I went to drive a 997 a few years ago; and my wife was trying it out with me. Salesman in the back. Wife asks "What is the blinking lights on the dash" ( It was a radar detector display)
Saleman says it was supposed to flash in beat with the music !! No clue about the car.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I like Porsche of Westwood, ask for a test drive they hand you the keys.
I took out a 991S, they told me not much gas just a short trip, I got lost in the experience and ran out of gas at the traffic light to turn around.
They were nice and picked the car and me up.
Have had minor service there and it was good.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM
A2b
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed Chambers is awful. Looked at a pre-owned and it made an awful noise on startup and was tapping like crazy. Rep said that's normal. Not any other ones I looked at. Larry, same experience at Prime, no license or info, here's a set of keys.

Have had the top down since 10am, 54 is convertible weather in NE. Spring drive is now!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I always serviced at westwood on rt1 and did not have issues.
nevertheless try to find good independent shop close by and do most of work there or DIY. dealer stuff is usually only good for warranty claims.

what I wonder about - was anybody ever given a Porsche loaner from westwood if you did not buy your car from them? I always had regular compacts from rental shop they use, never a p-car. minor thing but, still, a pity.
old service manager, Sean, was superb, never gave me grief about my car been tracked, etc. no idea about new service manager but if you will decide to use their services good idea is to drive there and have a chat with him and deal with service manager directly on any issues going forward.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Time to bring the S out of it's cave in NJ, you have to guarantee no more snow or below 40 degree weather!!

Quick Reply: Boston Area dealer advice needed