Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not sure what saved my ass "literally", but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I dont think you quite got his point. Summer rubber is not meant to be out below 7C (45F) in the best of times and even if the tires were brand new, not a great idea to be whipping around a corner in 3rd at 6K. But to each his own and that what the PSM is there for, to try and keep us out of the ditch
Totally got the point, just had to mention that the rubber was not 5-6 yrs old, but yes it was summer rubber. It really wasn't a "corner" it was a slight bend in the road. It was the combo of the fat of the power band, the "bend" in the road, salt dust and probably a little water on the tires from misc wet spots. If it was a front engined car, it probably would not have happened. We all know that rear engined Porsche's love to swing their asses around, so thank God for the PSM and a Porsche lesson learned for me. I was obviosly unaware that I went beyond it's limits, given the circumstances.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cold weather rubber would keep that from happening.

Summer tires in cold temps are like leather dress shoes on a wet marble floor.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
my rubber just turned 3 in Nov and has 6,200 on them, they are in great shape.
Well yes, 12-9 = 3. Good point. Probably posted too early to do heavy math.

While not the point I was trying to make, surprisingly the 3+ year old fronts that just came of mine were dry-rotted, which was visible in between the tread. Worth taking a peak.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by stefang
Well yes, 12-9 = 3. Good point. Probably posted too early to do heavy math.

While not the point I was trying to make, surprisingly the 3+ year old fronts that just came of mine were dry-rotted, which was visible in between the tread. Worth taking a peak.
Great point and I will look, I keep the C2S in Westchester as well. thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

The fact that you stayed in the throttle and had PSM on saved you. Nice!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
The fact that you stayed in the throttle and had PSM on saved you. Nice!
As much as I hate to admit it, this has happened to me. Porsche's electronics can make you look like a pro, so I keep them on, especially on roads I am not familiar with.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to me too. In fact I survived two wiggles in one corner on summer rubber in warm temps. No doubt PSM saved my butt too. Second slide was ended by what seemed to be hard breaking on left rear tire! At least that is what it sounded like, a big tire chirp. Needless to say, it was not my doing, although I did know enough to keep my foot on the throttle. I am a lot more careful now!

Last edited by Volnomad; 01-08-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by CW-VIESOCK
As much as I hate to admit it, this has happened to me. Porsche's electronics can make you look like a pro, so I keep them on, especially on roads I am not familiar with.
Nothing to be ashamed of, like Robert Duvall said "loose is fast"! lol
I've been to a number of NASCAR races and their asses are always kicking out coming out of turns. However, we are not on race tracks, so we must learn to live within the limits of cars.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if the tires were brand new, not a great idea to be whipping around a corner in 3rd at 6K.
Come on. Car is made for that. Tired of people critizing others for driving these cars fast (assuming good conditions and no traffic). If you feel differently I'm not sure why you need a Porsche. Seems like a Buick should suffice
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought and you said it'.....thanks! Typical Vern. He wants to be everyones conscience.

Originally Posted by PCC
Come on. Car is made for that. Tired of people criticizing others for driving these cars fast (assuming good conditions and no traffic). If you feel differently I'm not sure why you need a Porsche. Seems like a Buick should suffice
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
Come on. Car is made for that. Tired of people critizing others for driving these cars fast (assuming good conditions and no traffic). If you feel differently I'm not sure why you need a Porsche. Seems like a Buick should suffice
You need to save that for the track or weekend autocross. Get your jollys in a good safe environment, and keep a nice wide margin of safety on the road. The performance envelope on these cars is so high that you can drive the **** out of them without ever pushing the limits. I track/autocross enough that I know exactly where my limit of grip is; any time I hear the tires or see PSM engage on a public road, I consider it a failure of myself as a driver to properly drive the car with a safe margin of error. Still, if it doesn't happen occasionally, you're driving way too soft and need to start pushing a little harder!

Incidentally, slap high-performance tires on a Lincoln MKZ, and it'll do a slalom within 1mph of a 911...
http://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/mkz/2013/road-test.htmls
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
You need to save that for the track or weekend autocross. Get your jollys in a good safe environment, and keep a nice wide margin of safety on the road. The performance envelope on these cars is so high that you can drive the **** out of them without ever pushing the limits. I track/autocross enough that I know exactly where my limit of grip is; any time I hear the tires or see PSM engage on a public road, I consider it a failure of myself as a driver to properly drive the car with a safe margin of error. Still, if it doesn't happen occasionally, you're driving way too soft and need to start pushing a little harder!

Incidentally, slap high-performance tires on a Lincoln MKZ, and it'll do a slalom within 1mph of a 911...
http://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/mkz/2013/road-test.htmls

I understand your position (especially as it relates to PSM being activated on public roads). However, please do not expect me to cruise on the open highway on a sunny day at 55 mph. I will be traveling btw 80 - 100 mph depending on traffic and conditions. It would be highly appreciated if you could keep your Lincoln out of the passing lane
Old 01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
Ya OK

Car is made for breaking the end loose on summer tires at 43 degrees with salt dust and wet spots on the road? Is this the "assuming good conditions" part of your post?

Please . You drive your car however you like macho guy. Just pls let us know where you live and what kind of car you have so we know who to avoid

Typical Spokane, take a innocuous thread and try and turn it in to a flame war. I noticed that you neglected to criticize the rest of the posters who made the same point....
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
I understand your position (especially as it relates to PSM being activated on public roads). However, please do not expect me to cruise on the open highway on a sunny day at 55 mph. I will be traveling btw 80 - 100 mph depending on traffic and conditions. It would be highly appreciated if you could keep your Lincoln out of the passing lane
Honestly, speed has nothing to do with it- especially not on the highway where you might just as well be driving an F-350 as a 911 if all you're doing is holding 80-100. If PSM is engaging on the highway, you're doing something HORRIBLY wrong! A lot of cars can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds; not too many can do that around a 90 degree corner coming off a stoplight, and be over the speed limit by the time you clear the intersection, though! That's the sort of thing I was referring to when I mentioned squealing tires or seeing PSM engage; I'd like to think I'm a good enough driver to do this without risking spinning out. If PSM has to save my ***, I clearly didn't do it properly. It's rare that PSM has to save my ***, but I always take it very seriously when it does.

What we're talking about comes into play during cornering- twisties, for example, which have a lot of blind corners. I'll late-brake and pull better than 1.2gees on the track with my normal street tires, but you'd be a fool to try that on public roads- one patch of gravel, and it's all over. For another thing, while we may be very comfortable with our cars' handling, it tends to frighten other drivers. For instance, most people are so used to slowing down a half mile in advance of a stoplight that using proper brake points seems to freak people out and cause them to do stupid things.

Bottom line: enjoy your car, but give yourself a nice safe margin. 7/10ths in a 911 is better than 7/10s in damned near everything else on the road. Save 10/10ths for autocross.

Last edited by sjfehr; 01-08-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
PCC
Instructor

Ya OK

Car is made for breaking the end loose on summer tires at 43 degrees with salt dust and wet spots on the road? Is this the "assuming good conditions" part of your post?

Please . You drive your car however you like macho guy. Just pls let us know where you live and what kind of car you have so we know who to avoid

Typical Spokane, take a innocuous thread and try and turn it in to a flame war. I noticed that you neglected to criticize the rest of the posters who made the same point....
You're a typical "know it all". Whatever you say must be correct because you said it. I said "assuming good conditions". I also agreed with another poster regarding PSM having to be engaged.

Go hand out "participation trophies" somewhere

Quick Reply: not sure what saved my ass "literally", but....