Sponsored by:

TPMS Inactive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Inactive?

My 997.1 beeped at me on the way into work, and displayed "TPMS Inactive" on the dash. I'd already had two sensors replaced a very few months ago when I got new tires put on, and the system has been working since.

This morning, when the error came on the dash, all four wheels were reporting nothing (dashes). I seriously doubt this is a sending unit/sensor problem as I just had two replaced.

The car has sat for the past couple weeks, I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Assuming it happens again on the drive home, anybody got any ideas on what it could be, or has anybody had a similar TPMS problem before?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

You didn't mention the build date of your car, but I suspect the issue is that one or both of the other two sensors have worn their batteries out. Depending on when each sensor was manufactured, probably within a few months of each other, they'll all die after 5 years or so. The next time you drive, use the control stalk to bring up the individual pressure numbers and see which wheels give a read and which don't. I'd bet the two you didn't replace yet will take a long time to give a reading or give no reading at all.

This is not the same as going through the TPMS menu to get the +1 or -2 psi etc. readings. That menu item only works at a full stop.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Thanks for the info, but I already had two of the sensors replaced just in the last few months, when I had a new set of tires put on.

The error I'm seeing isn't that individual sensors are reporting nothing (dashes), I'm seeing a "TPMS Inactive" error, and NONE of the sensors are reporting.

Yesterday, while driving home from work, it started working again, and all but the left rear reported PSI values. Then, after about 10 minutes, I saw "TPMS Inactive" error come up again, and all sensors went to "--".

This doesn't look like a sensor problem, unless one bad sensor can cause the entire system to go out (which doesn't seem likely, but who knows). It seems like more of a receiver or system problem.

I believe the left rear was one of the sensors I did NOT have replaced recently, so it's possible it's worn out. Does anybody know if one bad sensor can cause the whole TPMS system to go out?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
Thanks for the info, but I already had two of the sensors replaced just in the last few months, when I had a new set of tires put on.

The error I'm seeing isn't that individual sensors are reporting nothing (dashes), I'm seeing a "TPMS Inactive" error, and NONE of the sensors are reporting.

Yesterday, while driving home from work, it started working again, and all but the left rear reported PSI values. Then, after about 10 minutes, I saw "TPMS Inactive" error come up again, and all sensors went to "--".

This doesn't look like a sensor problem, unless one bad sensor can cause the entire system to go out (which doesn't seem likely, but who knows). It seems like more of a receiver or system problem.

I believe the left rear was one of the sensors I did NOT have replaced recently, so it's possible it's worn out. Does anybody know if one bad sensor can cause the whole TPMS system to go out?

Thanks!
I am having the exact same issue with my 2006 S. The left rear value went to dashes, then the system went down....GR
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

My 2006 was one of the first delivered, and my batteries failed a few months back.
During the process of failing, weird things happen to the system.
Upon replacing ALL the sensors, all is well.
It's the batteries, boys.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems like, as a rule, its a good idea to, when replacing the TPMS sensors, replace ALL the TPMS sensors at one go on the wheels so you have a fresh batch on all the wheels.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Suggest you get in the habit of replacing all four when you do a 4-tire replacement. Even if you have to do it a little prematurely. I did that and never had a burp from mine.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you replace the batteries?
I've got exactly the same thing going on with my '06!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Judd
How do you replace the batteries?
I've got exactly the same thing going on with my '06!!
You don't replace the batteries - they are sealed. You replace the TPM sensors.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...997_wheelacces
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, you'll get that error message when even a single sensor fails. The system will give you a reading from the other live sensors for a little while then time out and completely shut down. There's probably some federal regulation saying the system has to behave this way instead of giving you readings from the other good sensors and just flagging the bad one.

I bought my 4 sensors from Suncoast and had my local Discount Tire install them. Turns out they had the sensors in stock and for a few bucks less than the Suncoast price (sorry guys). I could have saved on the shipping and the mount/dismount price would have been cut in half. If you normally use Discount Tire for your tires, call them and see what they can do for you.

Quick Reply: TPMS Inactive?