Sponsored by:

Porsche replacement for my Ariel Atom

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche replacement for my Ariel Atom

I have a buyer for my 2006 Ariel Atom and want to replace it with something a little more civilized, but I still want the incredible acceleration.
0-60 in 3 seconds or less.
What Porsche would you guys recommend?
I'm thinking Turbo, can someone fill me in on the different Turbo generations?
I know the last one is 2010-present.
How do the GT3's compare to the Turbos performance/handling?
I have a 2005 Porsche Boxster which I love, in terms of driving feel/dynamics and handling, however it is anemic compared to the Atom.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

0-60: Turbo
Track car: GT3

Both would be siginificantly different than Ariel Atom, being much heavier, and having different handling characteristic.

GT3 power is more at higher RPMs, while Turbo has amazing Torque in lower RPMs, so different power delivery, GT3 works great on track (lighter, purpose built), Turbo would be faster daily, as you get tons more torque at lower RPMs.

Overall, if you want a track car, GT3 is the one to get, if you want something that's close to your Ariel Atom in 0-60 with lots of power, Turbo's the way to go.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

3 sec or less wont happen. In any p-car
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

GT2
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Agreed on the assessment, if you want extreme acceleration, Turbo S or GT2 RS. Turbo gets PDK + AWD so it's quicker out the gate than the GT2 which is rwd + 6spd. Track? Any iteration of the GT3.

Regarding acceleration, here's a test I recalled:
C&D 2010 Turbo S
"With all-wheel drive and Porsche’s seven-speed, PDK dual-clutch automated manual, which features the best launch control we’ve experienced to date, the 911 gets out of the blocks in a serious hurry: 2.7 seconds to 60, to 100 mph in 6.4, through the quarter-mile in 10.8 at 129!"

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-fluent-page-6
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

GT2
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general FMVSS compliant cars carry too much weight to hit times you are looking for. Also, Porsche cars aren't necessarily made/geared to be ultimate 0-60 cars. You might look at a Rossion Q1 as they offer far more comfort and 0-60 acceleration just under 3 seconds. Again it is a "kit" or component car and therefore not certified to meet FMVSS safety regulations, just like the AA.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
3 sec or less wont happen. In any p-car
Yeah it will. 2011 Turbo S with PDK and launch control. Will do 2.9 or so.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An Atom is a different type of car altogether. I don't think you are going to be happy with any type of Porsche out of box if you are looking to duplicate the visceral thrills of that car. it's like jumping from an F1 car into a NASCAR stocker.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

You need to answer a few questions.

1. Will you use it on a track? If yes, how many track events?
2. What kind of roads do you have? Canyons, mountains or all flat straight roads?
3. What kind of transmission are you looking for? Manual, PDK?
4. How much money are you looking at spending?

The Turbo, Gt3/GT3RS, and GT2/GT2 RS are three completely different cars so we need some more info on what your planning on doing so we can give a detailed answer.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Yeah it will. 2011 Turbo S with PDK and launch control. Will do 2.9 or so.
wow - I did not know this, pardon me, i do stand corrected!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
...a little more civilized, but I still want the incredible acceleration.
0-60 in 3 seconds or less.
What Porsche would you guys recommend?
I'm thinking Turbo...
Forget about the turbo junk.

You're going to need to go straight into one of these to fill the shoes of the Atom.

Behold the almighty Porsche 918. But you better get in line quick!
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.
I'm not looking for an exact duplication of how the Atom performs, just the amazing acceleration in a daily driver.
I only tracked my Atom maybe 10 times or so and I'm not looking for a track car.
However, cars like the Atom are the perfect track car since it is so light weight you don't burn through brakes and tires like you do in a 911, Corvette or Viper, in fact I only changed the brake pads a few weeks ago, and the rotors have almost zero wear. Tires on the Atom could last 8-10 track days which is amazing.
I have a budget of around 100k, so a new Turbo would be out of the question.
From searching autotrader I am completely amazed that you can get a lightly used Porsche Certified 2010 Turbo for less than a new 991S.
For example.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...adius=500&mmt=[POR[911[]][]]&listingId=325565446&listingIndex=3&Log=0
If I liked the PDK transmission, I'd probably jump on that Turbo if it was Arctic silver or another color that didn't show every spec of dirt/dust. I previously owned a black Acura NSX and I would wash it in the morning, and it would look like crap in the afternoon stored in a garage just from dust settling on it.
Black is the worst color to get if you're not into detailing your car on a daily basis, way too high maintenance in my book.
Is the new generation 991 that much better than the 997, that someone would choose a new 400hp 991S over a lightly used Porsche certified and much more powerful 500hp 997TT that probably originally listed for $150K?
Something else that really blows me away, I read that 95% of all new Porsche's sold are PDK equipped. What has happened to the traditional manual shifted sports car driver? Is it laziness or something else?
I will have to demo a PDK equipped car to see what all the fuss is all about.
One question, has Porsche changed the PDK transmission over the years or is it the same system?
I'm asking because a Porsche salesman said to me that for example a 2010 PDK Turbo will perform the same as a 2013 PDK equipped 991. Same system that has not been changed or updated.
Any truth to this?
Guess it's time to start test driving some cars.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

BS to the last statement, turbo is definitely faster. PDK was changed in 2013 (7 speed) but they are all pretty much the same with lightning shift, while manual feel is lacking.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Thanks for the input guys.
I'm not looking for an exact duplication of how the Atom performs, just the amazing acceleration in a daily driver.
I only tracked my Atom maybe 10 times or so and I'm not looking for a track car.
However, cars like the Atom are the perfect track car since it is so light weight you don't burn through brakes and tires like you do in a 911, Corvette or Viper, in fact I only changed the brake pads a few weeks ago, and the rotors have almost zero wear. Tires on the Atom could last 8-10 track days which is amazing.
I have a budget of around 100k, so a new Turbo would be out of the question.
From searching autotrader I am completely amazed that you can get a lightly used Porsche Certified 2010 Turbo for less than a new 991S.
For example.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...adius=500&mmt=[POR[911[]][]]&listingId=325565446&listingIndex=3&Log=0
If I liked the PDK transmission, I'd probably jump on that Turbo if it was Arctic silver or another color that didn't show every spec of dirt/dust. I previously owned a black Acura NSX and I would wash it in the morning, and it would look like crap in the afternoon stored in a garage just from dust settling on it.
Black is the worst color to get if you're not into detailing your car on a daily basis, way too high maintenance in my book.
Is the new generation 991 that much better than the 997, that someone would choose a new 400hp 991S over a lightly used Porsche certified and much more powerful 500hp 997TT that probably originally listed for $150K?
Something else that really blows me away, I read that 95% of all new Porsche's sold are PDK equipped. What has happened to the traditional manual shifted sports car driver? Is it laziness or something else?
I will have to demo a PDK equipped car to see what all the fuss is all about.
One question, has Porsche changed the PDK transmission over the years or is it the same system?
I'm asking because a Porsche salesman said to me that for example a 2010 PDK Turbo will perform the same as a 2013 PDK equipped 991. Same system that has not been changed or updated.
Any truth to this?
Guess it's time to start test driving some cars.
For less then $100k you could get a great 997TT with a 6 speed and low miles. I would start looking there then after a test drive if you decideed that you wanted something with a stiffer suspension I would look at a GT3/ GT3 RS. I dont think a 991 will excite you coming from a Atom unless you are looking for a very comforatble ride. I'm not sure what the GT2's are going for right now. You could also test drive a 997TT with PDK and see what you think. Its a great trans but its not for me because I get bored quickly and would rather row the gears myself.
Let us know what you decide on!

Quick Reply: Porsche replacement for my Ariel Atom