Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure Plate Replacement with clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pressure Plate Replacement with clutch?

I had my clutch replace 1,000 miles ago. Do they usually change out the pressure plate as well? It doesn't look like they did mine. My clutch feels a lot lighter than it did before. I also notice a slight smell after i'm done driving even when i'm not driving aggressively. I believe this is a normal smell because I remember it before. What does a pressure plate feel like when it goes?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did not feel smooth As the pressure plate had failed and was only applying pressure to one side of the clutch disk. It was worse when releasing the clutch. My foot would come up faster than the pedal. When it did slide the pedal would slam back against my foot.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I had my clutch replace 1,000 miles ago. Do they usually change out the pressure plate as well? It doesn't look like they did mine. My clutch feels a lot lighter than it did before. I also notice a slight smell after i'm done driving even when i'm not driving aggressively. I believe this is a normal smell because I remember it before. What does a pressure plate feel like when it goes?
Generally, unless it is very obvious the problem is with the friction disc or the release bearing, all wear items are replaced at clutch time and this includes the pressure plate. Labor is the biggest cost in a clutch job and no mechanic will risk eating that labor for the sake of a relatively inexpensive pressure plate. Besides many times the disc, pressure plate, release bearing, etc come as a "kit".

A new clutch can be lighter in feel because the new disc (mainly) is thicker and the clutch lever and the clutch lever regains some mechanical advantage. One sign of a bad clutch is an increase in pedal effort as the (mainly) clutch disc wears (it has two surfaces to wear and over time becomes noticeably thinner from wear) and the lever and its pivot loose some mechancial advantage.

A pressure plate can lose its spring tension and the clutch becomes easier to work but slips. Or if the spring loss isn't severe the clutch pedal can be a bit slow to come up.

What does the repair invoice have listed for parts replaced? If the pressure plate was replaced it should be listed.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 AM
jw1977
Pro

Thanks, I'll check the receipts.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 PM
jw1977
Pro

I checked my receipts and it doesn't look like they replaced the pressure plate. Should I be concerned? It looks like they did the clutch w/ throwout bearing. The parts were the clutch and the release bearing.

Quick Reply: Pressure Plate Replacement with clutch?