Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time Buyer...decent choice???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM
mapolus
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default First Time Buyer...decent choice???

Hello y'all,

I've been looking for my first Porsche for about 6 months now. I test drove a 997 today and really enjoyed the drive. I was hoping for your thoughts on this car:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=3&Log=0

Just to answer a few questions first:
1. Yes, I'll get a PPI from Porsche dealership
2. It had the 2 and 4 year services at Porsche dealers (owner has receipts). Needs the 6 year service soon (actually, it's 2 months past due). Brake flushes were performed (first car I've looked at that had brake flushes completed on time).
3. Will need tires in approx 1 year (they're 3 years old).
4. It is in great shape with no real blemishes to speak of (minor road scrub under front end plus minor wear on plastic surrounding ignition switch).

I'll have the dealership look at the RMS and IMS issues plus their normal stuff. Am I missing anything? Seems like a good asking price (my target price will be $35k due to needing 6 year service).

What is the general consensus on value of a 997 C2 over the next few years? Is it destined for 996 type resale? I've read a few sources, but would like to hear personal opinions as well.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks pretty nice. By means of comparison my dealer here in Colorado just got an 2006 C2 black with tan interior, automatic, 6,500 miles, absolutely spotless...asking just under $52k, CPO.

I have owned a 997.1 and found it to be a fine car, although I think my 997.2 performs better. Cosmetically they are essentially the same.

I don't believe 997 values will go the same way the 996 values have...amazing what a funky headlight can do!

Never had tires last four years on any of my Pcars...my rear tires for summer have generally been good for about 7k miles.

Make sure to let us know what you decide!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

You want PPI. (Inspection). Dme scan to check for over revs. IMS they won't be able to really check without separating the tranny. RMS (seal) they can check on a lift. Do the accents look funky? Price seems good, although blue and tan isn't a high demand combo. It's nice anyway and the mileage is a plus.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Looks pretty nice. By means of comparison my dealer here in Colorado just got an 2006 C2 black with tan interior, automatic, 6,500 miles, absolutely spotless...asking just under $52k, CPO.

I have owned a 997.1 and found it to be a fine car, although I think my 997.2 performs better. Cosmetically they are essentially the same.

I don't believe 997 values will go the same way the 996 values have...amazing what a funky headlight can do!

Never had tires last four years on any of my Pcars...my rear tires for summer have generally been good for about 7k miles.

Make sure to let us know what you decide!
IMHO, the 997 has more than a headlight advantage over the 996.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM
mapolus
Racer

I definitely will be getting a PPI, thanks for the heads up about not being able to check the IMS. Is that even something to worry about then?

The accents look okay. The pictures were taken prior to the radio and accents being added (this past summer). The alcantara additions are all OEM, so I think it's all reversible (I prefer originality in most cases). The JVC GPS/radio was added by a local shop that does good work (or so I hear from other sources as well). It looks like a nice install.

I definitely agree with the 997 being a much better car!

Thanks for all the help!
Matt
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
gvcap10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMS not an issue for 2006. Tons of posts regarding the issue. Some 2005's had previous bearing, but I believe 2006 you're all set.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price is $10k low. Make sure the car checks out.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mapolus
I definitely will be getting a PPI, thanks for the heads up about not being able to check the IMS. Is that even something to worry about then?

The accents look okay. The pictures were taken prior to the radio and accents being added (this past summer). The alcantara additions are all OEM, so I think it's all reversible (I prefer originality in most cases). The JVC GPS/radio was added by a local shop that does good work (or so I hear from other sources as well). It looks like a nice install.

I definitely agree with the 997 being a much better car!

Thanks for all the help!
Matt
I'd check number of owners with a car fax as well. Low price may make sense if the owner wants a quick sale.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Price is $10k low. Make sure the car checks out.
Agreed. A 2006 997 with fairly decent miles for $38k? That girl has some skeletons in her closet. Avoid it.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. That price is so low it seems fishy.
Seller is in Florida. Car has Oklahoma plates on it.
Phone number has an Austin, TX area code.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
IMHO, the 997 has more than a headlight advantage over the 996.
No argument here Ben Hogan
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Plates and landscape look like Florida around the driveway and house where it is pictured. The Austin area code wouldn't bother me. My daughter lives in Florida and has retained her out of state phone number for her cell out of convenience.

Price does seem low, so just make sure you check it out thoroughly as others suggest too.

I personally like blue and sand beige.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 PM
mapolus
Racer

I should've mentioned, I'm stationed at Hurlburt Field with the guy (we're in the AF)...so, the plates, phone number and location all make sense (I have Oregon plates with a Washington phone number in Florida).

The price is really good, he seems like a straight shooter...I'm not worried about deception at all. The car has had 3 owners, but it's in really good shape. Clearly, the PPI is a must for the things I can't see.

As for the IMS issue, I thought this forum was to finally get proof to eliminate any WOMs:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=126819

Maybe I'm confused (actually, I definitely am confused).

Thanks again for the help!
Matt
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

IMS no issue for you really with the improved 06 bearing. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask what the guy paid for the car and why. If he paid something close to his asking (got a good deal) he is likely just getting out. A big hit for him raises some added questions.

Keep in mind there are plenty of cars out there. Don't rush into a car if your not sure. Sometimes a wait and few dollars saved for a more expensive car is the best route. Seems you feel good about the car.

One more thing. Check as best you can for any prior accidents. Since its a private sale, chances are less that its been hit.

I had several nears buys and here is the short chronicle.

1) 05 gt silver cs2 loaded to the gills with full leather - auction car sold by a person in it to make money churning sports cars. Was told the usual, bad back and family forced selling it. Passed and saw the car resold twice. Had no idea of IMS.
2) 06 c4 - finally learned it had been in an accident and really didn't want a AWD car. Learned low price isn't everything.
3) 06 white - loaded with lovely full leather sea blue - really a shady lux car dealer and car shifted bad from 1st to 2nd. Salesman said I needed more manual practice. Seemed annoyed about a ppi
4) 05 c2. Low miles and great price. - learned more about IMS and the added cost of new bearing retrofit. Passed. Long time looking after this, learned more about pasm and starting liking the s models.
5) 09 white PDK. - waited too long as I pined about the cost of larger wheels and installing sports chrono. Was sorry it sold as I was real close to pulling the trigger
6) my 06 c2s - rennlister floating the idea of selling. Was just the car for me. Quickly recovering from my c2 Pdk grief, I booked a flight to Maine and tested the car. After looking at lots of service docs (including rms seal replacement) and talking to the rennlist seller, bought the car on the spot. No doubt whatsoever and I'm still over the moon. Waiting was rewarded and I'm sending the prior owner a christmas card.

Hope everything works out.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 12-17-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Be VERY careful!!! Nothing is free. He should be asking at least $44k if he is normal. Try to understand why would someone refuse to take extra cash??
Any talks about custom audio/video turn me off. Always ask questions since we are here to help.
Good luck with your search. Call a dealer direct with VIN and ask questions.

---------------------------
997 MY05 C2S 6MT

Quick Reply: First Time Buyer...decent choice???