Sponsored by:

Dealer Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Dealer Chronicles

Well, I went to the dealer here in SC looking to get some of the components to do my 06,C2S brakes. I had already accumulated a subtantial number of parts to do the job via SunCoast and Sonnen (thanks, Henry and Ryan!) but didn't have the rear rotors yet. Sooo, headed down to the local dealer and asked for the rotors. "Yep gottem in stock" Having checked online I was pretty familiar with Sonnen and Suncoast's price and retail price as well. With a long weekend ahead I didn't want to wait a week to get started(due to shipping time). My local parts guy quotes 10% over retail!?! I point this out to him and he says well, "uhh let me check" and then quotes me retail. I point out that I can purchase them thru a Florida or Cali dealer and get them roughly 15% over cost plus shipping, can he match the price plus shpg total? He bites so I snag the rotors and get underway. Some will say my dealer is chiseling. I say negotiate, every time. Arm yourself with the facts and negotiate. But don't be an ***, it's just a game and I'll need them in the future. I am not running down my local dealer or parts guy, as i really like them. They never balk when I order something expensive and never ask for me to pay in advance. Their parts guy has dropped parts off at my home because they were out delivering parts to a body shop for which I hadn't even paid yet. They've accepted returns on special orders because I gave them the wrong part no. Remember, they're in this to make money while providing a service. Don't take either for granted!

Last edited by Z00mie; 11-24-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Because i am incapable of spelling or correct punctuation...
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear a dealer working with you on parts cost. I did the same with a local dealer and they flat out refused to come close to SunCoast pricing. So I did the logical and financially prudent thing and simply left and ordered my parts on line.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said, and great advice ZOOmie.

I think that the most important thing you said was regarding informing one's self prior to ANY deal. It's an old saying, but true... information is power.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree about negotiating armed with facts and always being polite. Which dealer by the way? PM me if you like.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry for letting your question linger. Greenville SC...

Quick Reply: Dealer Chronicles