Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P zeros...pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

From what I was told ( maybe right or wrong, ) but the N rated tire are supposed to be a better balanced tire. When mounting the N rated tire to the rim, the installer will sometimes rotate the tire around the fixed rim to get a balance that requires no weights added.

This fella was smoking a "big fat joint" while he was telling me this.. by the way
Old 10-29-2012, 06:00 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
From what I was told ( maybe right or wrong, ) but the N rated tire are supposed to be a better balanced tire. When mounting the N rated tire to the rim, the installer will sometimes rotate the tire around the fixed rim to get a balance that requires no weights added.

This fella was smoking a "big fat joint" while he was telling me this.. by the way

That is an interesting theory. Not a correct one but interesting.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Funny...needed a good laugh tonight! LOL
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mounting the N rated tire to the rim, the installer will sometimes rotate the tire around the fixed rim to get a balance that requires no weights added.
That can be said for most any tire.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I found the Pirelli's to flat spot significantly more than other tires. I won't be using them again.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

This may well be true, in that the "N" rated tire receives higher quality control resulting in a closer to perfectly round tire. As for aligning high point of tire to the low spot of the wheel this allows optimum balance of the wheel & tire assembly. I have witnessed many Michelin tires mounted this way over many decades requiring no weights added for balancing.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Old technology..overpriced....loud.. absolutely crap in the rain and cold weather.
Other than that they are OK.

The PSS is cheaper and better in every area.
Wow. If the P Zero are that bad, it will be nice to see my Carrera even handle better when I change to PSSs. As a new pcar owner, I find the handling with the P zeros off the chart good. That said, I'm a newbie. They do seem a tad noisy however and have another 5K to go on the rears.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
How do you figure they would be better with the N Spec rating? Seriously? All that bunch of crap BS marketing from Porsche does is drive the price up on tires. I hope Michelin tell Porsche to go pound sand about that N Spec junk because Michelin will sell tires just fine.
There ARE some differences. I am not sure if visually there's anything different between PS2 N-rated vs. none... but the Sport Cups are totally different visually, on those ones, it looks like the N-rated has better wet traction than regular N-rated Michelin Sports Cup.

I doubt it's 100% marketing, and there could be some variations vs. non-N-rated as it actually cycles through N0, N1, N2, etc... the bigger question IMO is if the extra cost of an N-rated is worth it? that, is questionable.

It also could be (as someone pointed) that N-rated tires are the ones that meet a higher quality standard vs. others? For instance this is common in DIMM RAM module manufacturing, the better tested ones with least heat get the higher ratings, while they're all off the same chip!

Quick Reply: P zeros...pros and cons