Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:58 PM
Phinhead34
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My spoiler just got stuck in the up position. It is sitting higher than its normal position. The metal gear on mine is chewed up. My plastic gears are okay. Is there anywhere to pick up a new mechanism? It001 you can have my gears if you need them.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 PM
it001
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phinhead34
My spoiler just got stuck in the up position. It is sitting higher than its normal position. The metal gear on mine is chewed up. My plastic gears are okay. Is there anywhere to pick up a new mechanism? It001 you can have my gears if you need them.
Hi Phinhead34. The part number is 99751210911 and I've sent you a pm with a couple links where you can find it for sale.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:30 PM
pardnme
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

anybody have the pics for this?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:12 AM
woncom
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've removed and broken down my 2001 996 C2 spoiler assembly for a full lubing and fix. In the process, one of the two pressure springs in the setup jumped off and made a run for it. Can't spot that thing anywhere. Interested in a parts list that may provide a part number for that piece.
thanks for the help
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 PM
911austin
7th Gear

Hi woncom
the springs inside the motor assembly mechanism are not sold separately from the system itself (you need to buy the whole mechanism is around $1,000)
I ordered the springs from this place: leespring.com. Part # LHP 049C 06S

I hope it helps
Regards
Old 01-17-2020, 10:05 PM
woncom
Advanced

Super!
Thanks for the link and part number. Yes, I stopped by local dealership and learned of the assembly purchase requirement. I went ahead and re-assembled it all without the spring for the time being.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:52 PM
woncom
Advanced

Its not as detailed as the OG post on this topic but, a video on getting my spoiler operational again
Old 01-18-2020, 07:48 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Very nicely done. Thanks for all your time and trouble. Much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:40 PM
classicbug
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up. Thanks so much! Don't think I have the skill to replace mine. May just end-up buying a complete unit on eBay?
Old 03-23-2020, 10:33 AM
JB 997
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear spoiler parts

My LHD 2008 997.1 Carrera S rear spoiler control warning came on.

Found this fantastic thread, and after getting way too into taking everything apart and cleaning it, I found one of the drive cables was stuck inside its guide tube. Lubricated the tube and pulled it out, only to find the cable had corroded.

I bought a replacement drive mechanism and so have some spare rear spoiler drive components available - drop me a message if you are interested.

Plastic drive mechanism and internals - all in excellent condition

1 drive cable (passenger side) and 2 guide tubes

Electric motor

Hinges - all in excellent condition

Last edited by JB 997; 03-23-2020 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ssgunny (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 02:17 AM
ssgunny
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks OP for the info on the drive assembly. I had an issue where the right side of the spoiler would fully elevate but not the left side. I was able to lift that side up by hand but would return to its lower position. Following these instructions and understanding how everything worked I was able to clean/service the system and properly seat the left drive tube into the support. Now the spoiler works as it should. I am happy for no out of pocket expenses.

Last edited by ssgunny; 05-01-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:15 PM
mph070770
AutoX

Great thread @Insomnic I've dismantled my spoiler and found some worn racks. Useful to know why - I just hope I can find a repair without buying the whole mechanism.

Before I embark on a repair attempt, can I ask the community for some related advice? I don't know if the spoiler is damaged due to a leak....

Some months ago it was torrential rain for most of the day. When I arrived home I saw the lights and spoiler on my 997 were lit/up. On inspection, the passenger side front and rear footwells (UK car) were soaked - with standing water in the rear. This was due to a blocked drain. I put the car in my garage and started to dry out the carpet etc.

All seemed good on small local trips. However, on my first long drive, where the spoiler automatically raised, I had the red dash error message. I can't say for sure if the spoiler had raised previous to this (and after the soaking) but this was the first motorway drive so probably unlikely.

As the spoiler had raised during the soaking, is there anything in the box of tricks under the passenger seat that is related to the spoiler control? I'm wondering if the position switch controller is down there? Could it be that the system is damaged? I don't want to repair the rack / put a new mech in just for the same issue to reoccur.

It would be great to get insight from someone for anything I could try. My though is to run the motor without it being fitted to the mechanism and press the postion switches to simulate the mech moving and see if the motor is controlled properly. Thoughts?

Thanks anyone for comments - and again, thanks @Insomnic for giving me the faintest of chances of fixing this without breaking the bank!
Old 05-02-2020, 05:54 PM
JB 997
Advanced

The control switches are on the drive mechanism next to the motor. The water ingress could just be coincidental.
Looking at the photo, I would guess the drive encountered some resistance - cable sticking or spoiler hinges prevented from lifting up - and the motor kept going causing the gear to grind the nylon teeth off.
On mine, the spoiler rubber had lifted up and allowed rain to run directly onto the drive mechanism and the cable started to corrode, which after a long period of not being driven, caused it to jam.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:57 PM
mph070770
AutoX

Thanks @JB 997 . The postion sense switches are connected to cables that dissapear to the right the of the engine bay. I'm presuming they all connect to a control unit that provides the on/off/direction motor signals based upon the switch positions. I'm worried that this is under the passenger seat because (1) I think I read it in a forum somewhere and (2) the spoiler raised itself when the leak happened.

I'm wondering if the switch that indicates the spoiler is open has an issue and made the motor continue to run, tearing out the teeth in the rail? Hopefully my test of pressing the sensor buttons with the motor free running will help diagnose if I have a problem.

If anyone can advise where the wiring loom from the spoiler mech ends up, that would be really appreciated.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:09 AM
JB 997
Advanced

Originally Posted by mph070770
Thanks @JB 997 . The postion sense switches are connected to cables that dissapear to the right the of the engine bay. I'm presuming they all connect to a control unit that provides the on/off/direction motor signals based upon the switch positions. I'm worried that this is under the passenger seat because (1) I think I read it in a forum somewhere and (2) the spoiler raised itself when the leak happened.

I'm wondering if the switch that indicates the spoiler is open has an issue and made the motor continue to run, tearing out the teeth in the rail? Hopefully my test of pressing the sensor buttons with the motor free running will help diagnose if I have a problem.

If anyone can advise where the wiring loom from the spoiler mech ends up, that would be really appreciated.
Looking at the parts catalogue, the spoiler drive mechanism (997 512 109 00 or 997 512 109 02) is sold by Porsche as a complete item, which includes the wiring harness. There is no separate control module listed for the spoiler. I have cut the wiring harness plastic sleeves open and can see the wires form a circuit between the limit switches and the motor; the combination of switch positions is what provides the motor commands. There are only 4 wires that run from the limit switches to its multi-connector plug, which I guess will be 1) power supply and 2) to send signals to the onboard computer to provide failure warnings.

Last edited by JB 997; 05-03-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild