Sponsored by:

997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

My spoiler is functioning well but it looks like a little lube isn't gonna hurt and may prevent something down the road...many thanks OP (if you are still around)!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 PM
srfrdrew
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
sfrdrew;

Could it be that the lubricant is interfering intermittently with the two sensors somehow; ie, some grease or lubricant overspill is changing the conductivity of the switches?
I have not done this job yet on my 996 but this excellent DIY (Thanks Insomnic!) is what the Dr ordered as last Friday, I could only retract the spoiler fully when I activated the footwell switch at 70 Km/hr, using air pressure as added force on the spoiler. TIME TO LUBRICATE, INDEED!
Hey JMLavoie,

Yes, I mentioned in my post that one of my thoughts was the lube may have fouled the senor(s) and may need to be cleaned off. Also other thought was the sensors may have been installed in reverse OR not seated back in correctly. I have not had the time to take it all apart again (kind of a Swiss watch assembly and tedious to take down and put back together)

Last edited by srfrdrew; 12-28-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 PM
srfrdrew
Track Day

Fixed my issue, the sensors were not fully seated into the housing, there is some "audible" click confirmation but not much. It did not look as obvious when I installed them back the first time.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Texas bob
3rd Gear

Default 911 retractable spoiler parts

Can anyone tell me where to buy the micro switches used in this drive assembly and the cable gear strip.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 AM
srfrdrew
Track Day

Originally Posted by Texas bob
Can anyone tell me where to buy the micro switches used in this drive assembly and the cable gear strip.
You'll have to look at purchasing the whole assembly used online or new from porsche
It is my understanding none of these individual parts that make up the whole assembly can purchase separately
Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's what the parts catalog shows. I didn't find microswitches listed separately, only the drive mechanism. I would think though that something like a microswitch would be a generic part that you could source from anywhere if you searched hard enough. If you know the manufacturer or part number of the switch, say Bosch for instance, you might be able to google it and find it from an electrical supply place or something.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
srfrdrew
Track Day

This may be purely finding the part used on ebay or off a salvaged like 996/997 or purchase whole assembly though Porsche directly (which is the most expensive option) I believe the whole assembly new is $1,200.00. I was fortunate enough to find someone off the forums that had an extra assembly that was willing to part out their plastic pistons that broke on my vehicle
Old 03-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Texas bob
3rd Gear

Thank you - to all that have replied to my post. You guys are terrific I found a complete deck online and quite possibly will have spare parts for others in the future.

Thanks again I am a new 911 hardtop convertible owner and love this car. I never drove Or rode in a Porsche until I bought this one on eBay.

I have owned jaguars, Lincoln Continental Mark 4, Cadillacs, Dodge Dually and fords during my 75 years on this planet none were as nice as this car including the 1990 348 Ferrari in my garage. They Ferrari is beautiful but it is a race car you can drive on the street. The Porsche seems to be a street car you can drive on the track. I can fix almost anything which is why I bought these preowned cars. I wouldn't have bought them if I had to go to the dealer.
Thank each and everyone of you one more time I appreciate your follow up and Camaraderie
Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 PM
srfrdrew
Track Day

No Problem Bob,

Agreed that there is are some great Porsche enthusiast out here in the Cloud. Glad to hear you found what you are looking for.

Sounds like you have a nice collection in the garage too. I am very fortunate myself to own TWO Porsches, a 2001 996 C2 Cabriolet and and 2004 Cayenne S. I'm looking into the future to possibly get a Panamera when the price is right on them (used of course ) as a replacement for the Cayenne. I will more than likely keep my 996 indefinitely.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Dr.J
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to thank you for this post. The engagement and disengagement of my spoiler made a heck of a lot of noise. After reading your post, I decided to do as you described and sure enough it is now working like a charm!

I thank you!

However, figure 20 is a bit deceiving, given that reseating the control rod tubes means having the ring lip seat inside the plastic housing into the recessed groove; this is important!

Again, thank you for this; just a little labour and a touch a grease, good as new!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM
GrahamG
1st Gear

Default motor nylon Gear

Hi I know this is an old post but I am having problems sourcing the nylon gear inside the motor in the picture above which is driven off the worm gear. The teeth on mine are all worn and the gear now slips in places.

Spoke to Porsche in UK but not getting anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-08-2015, 12:28 AM
srfrdrew
Track Day

Your choice is either purchasing the whole assembly new through Porsche or find one in a breakers yard none of the parts discussed here are sold separately, you can thank Porsche

Originally Posted by GrahamG
Hi I know this is an old post but I am having problems sourcing the nylon gear inside the motor in the picture above which is driven off the worm gear. The teeth on mine are all worn and the gear now slips in places.

Spoke to Porsche in UK but not getting anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

FYI, I don't believe you have to disassemble to get rid of the creak/groan. Those lube holes do the job. I sprayed some Winzer in there and worked the spoiler up and down it was gone. Best to shoot it in there when the spoiler is in the down position to get the grease up into the higher mechanism.

Winzer is a miracle lube that goes on as a liquid and has a solvent that penetrates then the grease sets up and stays. I use it on everything including my morning pancakes.

Also, IMHO I would not put grease on the external tube surface as that may just get gobbed with dirt. I did, however, spray some dry Teflon lube on it but it did not affect the creak/groan.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-28-2015, 10:53 PM
murage
AutoX

Great !
My C4S has spoiler warning issue.
The spoiler goes up and down , but warning lamp comes sometimes.
I'm sure it is from the sensors , but a dealer says sensor only is not available and might need replace 2k$ whole assy. unit. He also hesitated to say to replace.

I'll try to fix it by myself from your post.
Thanks !
Old 11-28-2015, 11:21 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Masterful!

Quick Reply: 997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild