Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Phenomenal and super detailed DIY post!! Major thanks here, as my spoiler is creaking too. It's my next project and your post will be a great guide.

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
classicbug (01-25-2020)
Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Brilliant instructions - I was about ready to tear into it to stop this awful binding noise mine was making - until I read down to that last step about the lubrication holes - a couple of shots of lube in them cleared it all up. But I'll keep this handy - looks like the 997.2 is slightly different - I didn't remove the cover and look inside, so if I do ever do dig into it, I'll take pictures and note any changes.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I solved the problem a different way. I removed the pop-up spoiler and all its mechanical parts ( control arms, motor etc) and installed the Misha design ducktail in is place. It drops right in where the pop-up was and is a very quality product. You do need to get the GT3 harness for the fan and light, about $60 dollars at your Porsche dealer. The quality of the spoiler is top notch and once painted looks OEM. Advantages are lighter weight and no motor to fail. Better cooling for the engine and more down force. So far highway mileage is the same but I have found with our Texas highway speeds the increased down-force has made the front end slightly lighter and now I'm looking for a small front splitter.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lost one of the tension springs today. Anybody have a spare?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Jake94526
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just had mine 4S in the shop, under warranty, and that was one of the items I had the dealer address. I admit that I don't usually raise and lower the spoiler when the car is off, so I will have to keep an eye on it to make sure its not making noise.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I actuated my spoiler yesterday while sitting in the garage and it sounded crunchy so I performed this lubrication DIY. I swear to baby jesus I must have assembled and then disassembled this thing about a half dozen times because first I didn't engage the cable ends on the sliding gear properly, or the guide tube wasn't seated in the hinge correctly, or when I thought I was finally all done, "Hey, where did these two little screws come from...ah damn it!!" I can now say that I have a lot of practice at doing this job but at least the spoiler operates nice and quiet now.
The following users liked this post:
classicbug (01-25-2020)
Old 12-06-2014, 05:24 PM
paoylin1
Advanced

nice
Old 12-09-2014, 12:05 PM
65kodey
Rennlist Member

Amazing Post! Hope you do some more!
Old 12-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
holy smokes! what an awesome thread! it must have taken a bit of effort!

kudos to you sir for giving enough of a damn to help educate others!!

I usually don't raise mine, unless it comes out on it's own......seems silly to drive around town with it out huh?
kind of funny to me
They don't call it the poser position for nothing.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:52 PM
srfrdrew
Track Day

Hey Insomnic, thanks for the 997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild DIY...

I hope you can help me. Have a 2001 996 that is mostly identical to the 997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild. My issue was the driver's side plastic piston that goes up and down broke and was not raising it's side of the spoiler fully. I changed out the piston along with doing your recommended cleanup and re-lube service. when I turn key on to ACC, I'm currently able to manually raise the spoiler to the up to fully extended position on both sides now equally (mind you its sill a bit noisy and I did lubricate both the piston tube the goes up and down as well as the service hole in it However, the noise is not my current concern/ issue.

When I try to close the spoiler manually, it does not close.. If I turn the car off and then back on again, I can then manually close the spoiler. When I do go for a drive the Spoiler " red warning light on dash" remains on so my concern is that the spoiler is malfunctioning and won't deploy at 74mpd (or retract at stop) My thought is the TWO sensors that needed to be disconnected during service/fix may have either gone bad? or may have not been installed back into the drive assembly housing properly OR do I need a Durametric to just reset spoiler settings? This job was a bit of a challenge but fun at the same time. I would hate walk away now from doing all this work with it still not functioning correctly

As an added note, Just After the fix... I was able to open and close the spoiler manually without turning on and off the ACC. But after a few times of testing it manually, to get everything internally lubed up, it stopped going down unless I turned ACC of and then on again. Maybe some of the lube has made contact to sensors?

Hope you can help, thanks for your prompt response, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-15-2014, 02:57 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

What a fantastic DIY! Thanks for sharing and big thumbs-up for the quality pictures!

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great post.

Can we recommend topics for you to cover next :P
Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srfrdrew
Hey Insomnic, thanks for the 997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild DIY...

I hope you can help me. Have a 2001 996 that is mostly identical to the 997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild. My issue was the driver's side plastic piston that goes up and down broke and was not raising it's side of the spoiler fully. I changed out the piston along with doing your recommended cleanup and re-lube service. when I turn key on to ACC, I'm currently able to manually raise the spoiler to the up to fully extended position on both sides now equally (mind you its sill a bit noisy and I did lubricate both the piston tube the goes up and down as well as the service hole in it However, the noise is not my current concern/ issue.

When I try to close the spoiler manually, it does not close.. If I turn the car off and then back on again, I can then manually close the spoiler. When I do go for a drive the Spoiler " red warning light on dash" remains on so my concern is that the spoiler is malfunctioning and won't deploy at 74mpd (or retract at stop) My thought is the TWO sensors that needed to be disconnected during service/fix may have either gone bad? or may have not been installed back into the drive assembly housing properly OR do I need a Durametric to just reset spoiler settings? This job was a bit of a challenge but fun at the same time. I would hate walk away now from doing all this work with it still not functioning correctly

As an added note, Just After the fix... I was able to open and close the spoiler manually without turning on and off the ACC. But after a few times of testing it manually, to get everything internally lubed up, it stopped going down unless I turned ACC of and then on again. Maybe some of the lube has made contact to sensors?

Hope you can help, thanks for your prompt response, it is greatly appreciated!
sfrdrew;

Could it be that the lubricant is interfering intermittently with the two sensors somehow; ie, some grease or lubricant overspill is changing the conductivity of the switches?
I have not done this job yet on my 996 but this excellent DIY (Thanks Insomnic!) is what the Dr ordered as last Friday, I could only retract the spoiler fully when I activated the footwell switch at 70 Km/hr, using air pressure as added force on the spoiler. TIME TO LUBRICATE, INDEED!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Great writeup! Served as an encouragement and a detailed procedure guide.
My spoiler operation is smoother than ever now
Old 12-23-2014, 02:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Still working great with this preventative maintenance. Every 997 owner should take the time to learn this procedure and do it to avoid issues down the road.

Quick Reply: 997 Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild