Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife's Audi was keyed at the kid's pumpkin patch.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Wife's Audi was keyed at the kid's pumpkin patch.

We drove my wife's A3 to the kids school Halloween extravaganza today and came out to this. I'm so livid, yet glad we took her car instead of the 911.

I don't even know where to go to fix this. It's down to the metal so it isn't going to buff out. Suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2012, 01:05 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default K

that blows
Hard to tell from the pic the extent of the damage.
Maybe a good buff and some Dr. Color chip and you'll be alright.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

repaint the door, sucks
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People can be such D**KS!!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking the whole door but luckily haven't had this happen before.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

That really sucks. I had a bad door ding in that same location. On the high end expect about $1500 because it's close to another body panel. I went to three different places in marin and they all said that in order to properly "blend the paint" they have to sand down the body panel next to it a little and paint across the two body panels. Otherwise you don't get a seamless finish. If the damage is on the center of a door or body panel, then they can blend the paint within the panel for under $1000.

I've touched up short deep scratches before with touch up paint from the dealer and buffing a little with my Griot orbital buffer. You can still see it at certain angles but with all the city parking I do, I know another will show up soon enough. With the type of scratch you have though, I don't think any simple buff or touch up is going to work unfortunately. I'd at least put a Giants sticker over it for now.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Don't fret! Despite there being so many losers out there just know that there are plenty of competent shops who can fix that right up. With all paints today the art is blending. They should best remove the door from the car (so as to prevent any chance of overspray) and tackle the door by itself. They will then sand the scratched area and spray in a primer to get the depth back to where it needs to be, and then ultimately put on the color coat, blending it into the rest of the door. A final shot of clear coat and you're done. Simply ask around for the better shops.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

That really stinks. Sorry. If it's down to the metal I don't see how you can get away with not having the door repainted. The good news is that a high quality shop will return it to as new condition. Up here in the North Bay Freeman Collision Center in Santa Rosa has done some excellent work for me, but depending on where you are I'm sure there are plenty of options. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Man.....that's a tough break. I've lived my whole life in NJ on the East Coast and spent time in NY, Staten island (I know NY too!) and some really questionable areas and it's never happened to me.

You wonder how the jackass that does something like that to someone else's car can get finished with that piece of work and go home, unlock the door, sit down ......and feel anything but disgust for themselves and their small, miserable, petty act of jealousy.

Good Luck with the repair. Like Dan says, it'll be fixed good as new. There are artists out there of the first order.......and believe me I know what a good shop can do.

Tom
Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Any chance the place has cameras?

That sucks, but a top shop will bring it back to life.

Good luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Man.....that's a tough break. I've lived my whole life in NJ on the East Coast and spent time in NY, Staten island (I know NY too!) and some really questionable areas and it's never happened to me.

You wonder how the jackass that does something like that to someone else's car can get finished with that piece of work and go home, unlock the door, sit down ......and feel anything but disgust for themselves and their small, miserable, petty act of jealousy.

Good Luck with the repair. Like Dan says, it'll be fixed good as new. There are artists out there of the first order.......and believe me I know what a good shop can do.

Tom

I've lived in questionable areas most of my life and have been spared the key until now. The funny thing is, we live in a nice neighborhood where our year old A3 is like the "town hooptie". So, the elementary school is tucked back into this quiet neighborhood that get's besieged whenever there is a function, as well as every morning and afternoon. If I had to put money on it, I say it was the people who live in the house we parked in front of.

Life isn't fair and I've mostly ended up on the winning side of the coin toss so I'll just fix it and move on knowing that someone has a karma debt to pay.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Body guys have a way of fixing this wo painting the whole door.
About 590$ on my panamera last yr.
There is a lot of keying going on these days, an act of rebellion against the 1%.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 10-14-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM
scotsskier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
That really sucks. I had a bad door ding in that same location. On the high end expect about $1500 because it's close to another body panel. I went to three different places in marin and they all said that in order to properly "blend the paint" they have to sand down the body panel next to it a little and paint across the two body panels. Otherwise you don't get a seamless finish. If the damage is on the center of a door or body panel, then they can blend the paint within the panel for under $1000.
Yup, only way to get it right. Also needs to be Audi approved body shop to keep your paint warranty
Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow that sucks! Sadly I'm beginning to see more and more of this type of vandelizm. When People dont respect themselves why would they respect other peoples property?

Lucky for you you have insurance and there are many great shops that can take car of it. I cant tell by the pics but could it get buffed out?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'

Life isn't fair and I've mostly ended up on the winning side of the coin toss so I'll just fix it and move on knowing that someone has a karma debt to pay.
Now that is a great attitude to have. Keep a positive attitude and you will be succesful in life!

And you never know when a storm might come by and knock a tree on the scumbags house

Quick Reply: Wife's Audi was keyed at the kid's pumpkin patch.