Sponsored by:

Tamdem Pump Corrosion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamdem Pump Corrosion.

I been reading tons of information on these cars and i'm building a to do list already so i was looking at my tandem pump and as usual its corroding like they all do so i was thinking of curing the problem for good. I can do this two ways....

1. Buy a brand new pump and still worry about it corroding slightly over time and try and wax oil it but wax oil will simply fall off while engine is hot.

2. Get my metal fabricator guy to make a stainless steel cap identical to the original and hopefully problem solved?

If it works will anyone be interested in buying said caps if i had a few made up dependent on cost of course as a replacement for their old rusty one's?
I may look into it if it is worth while?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

What's the American term for tandem pump?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe that's the dual/tandem oil pump.

Jeff, are you having a machine shop fabricate a cover that will not rust?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 AM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try painting the new part with engine paint.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 AM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I believe that's the dual/tandem oil pump.

Jeff, are you having a machine shop fabricate a cover that will not rust?
That's the plan.
I intend to get my metal fabricator to make up the caps if they are not too complicated otherwise it wont be worth while.
I will need to remove mine when the weather in the UK clears up and i get a chance to actually work on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Be careful with using different materials of construction. I'm not familiar with the type of pump being used but if it is a close tolerance impeller pump you may have issues with using a different material. Specifically different metals expand/contract at different rates and this could cause the impeller to contact the part. Again this depends on the design, this may not be an issue at all.

Another solution may be to have the part powder coated.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

If it has not rusted thru then perhaps a good soak in apple cider vinegar over a few days then several good coats of engine paint afterwards.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Be careful with using different materials of construction. I'm not familiar with the type of pump being used but if it is a close tolerance impeller pump you may have issues with using a different material. Specifically different metals expand/contract at different rates and this could cause the impeller to contact the part. Again this depends on the design, this may not be an issue at all.

Another solution may be to have the part powder coated.
Good point.
Its only a thought at the moment but i need to take off the pump and see how bad it is and see how much work it involves.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still not 100% sure I know which part you're talking about. Can you maybe post a picture of it or a schematic?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Money Pit 951
I'm still not 100% sure I know which part you're talking about. Can you maybe post a picture of it or a schematic?
Here's a picture of a new one.

And in the photo below you can just see the top half of it behind the exhaust piping on my 3.6L 997.1 (the tip of the yellow arrow is on the tandem pump). This particular tandem pump is 5 years old with 69,000 miles on it.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM
C2RS
Track Day

[QUOTE=jeffnudd;9910525]Good point.
Its only a thought at the moment but i need to take off the pump and see how bad it is and see how much work it involves.[/QUO

Hi Jeff...which route did you go down in the end....my 997 is now leaking from the tandem pump, so would be interested to hear what you did to yours.

Many thanks

Will
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

[quote=C2RS;10405100]
Originally Posted by jeffnudd
Good point.
Its only a thought at the moment but i need to take off the pump and see how bad it is and see how much work it involves.[/QUO

Hi Jeff...which route did you go down in the end....my 997 is now leaking from the tandem pump, so would be interested to hear what you did to yours.

Many thanks

Will
I haven't got around to doing anything with mine at the moment, i have unfortunately been busy with a 911 backdate, but it is something i will soon look at once i have some time.

Regards

Jeff
Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldn't POR-15 work with all primers and cleaners applied as recommended?
It works on battery trays and equally aggressive environments.
A lot less expensive (although not cheap) than fabricating SS cover. And available in gray too.

http://www.por15.com/

Just a suggestion... For whatever it's worth.
Cheers,
=L=
Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 9m TPC

I think this is what everyone is asking for.....

The new 9m TPC (Tandem Pump Cover) is the ultimate solution to the corrosion damage issues of the original Porsche 997 combined oil scavenge / vacuum (tandem) pump, a direct, replacement fit for the corrosion prone mild steel cover of the factory pump unit. This simple looking cover is anything but simple to make. We had to surface scan the original cover to reverse-engineer the internal profile which is then replicated with precision CNC machining of the part rom billet stainless steel. The micro-tolerance ellipsoidal bore ensures that the vacuum pump blades operate correctly. We can guarantee that this is one part that you can definitely fit and forget, either as a preventative measure on a working pump or as a replacement for one that is already leaking.

The introductory price of the 9m TPC is £165+VAT excluding shipping which is less that half the cost of a new pump from Porsche. The parts are in stock ready to ship and I will work out the postage costs an post all inclusive prices for UK, EU and ROW shortly. In the meantime if you would like to order one please email Freddie at parts@ninemeister.com who will happily process your order.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Wish I'd known this last month. My replacement pump is ready for installation...

Quick Reply: Tamdem Pump Corrosion.