Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tamdem Pump Corrosion.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Custom100
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ALL please read the ebay item description as it explains exactly what we have designed. We are not attempting to recreate a new cover as it has been proven that this is not possible. We are simply preventing further corrosion and protecting the original tandem cover.

For us this is the best solution.

Last edited by Custom100; 09-23-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM
alternativecarp
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see so you are not making a replacement cover rather a cover to fit over the existing cover to prevent further damage, so if it has already leaked this would not work you would need a new cover as this is just a sheath to provide protection. If that's a case you wont have the issues I mentioned as it does not act as the actual tandem pump cover.

Could the same not be done with heavy duty stone protection vinyl providing it was not too rusty, its a good idea I am looking to into as a cheap fix ;-)
Old 09-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Custom100
8th Gear

Glad you like it. feel free to PM me if you want to order some.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:11 PM
alternativecarp
Cruisin'

Problem is it does not fix anything, its a splash guard which could be hiding a small leak and as this runs the brakes I would have concerns. So nice new approach but not sure a splash guard for that amount of money is the solution. Best of luck though.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Custom100
8th Gear

Actually this will stop the rust from developing in the case of a new pump and will prevent a rusty cover from rusting more. This is because the cover will be air and water tight so will stop the original from rusting and if it has rusted already and you sand it down, apply a load of grease and then place the cover on top (as long as its not rusted all the way and oil not leaking) will stop it from rusting further.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 PM
alternativecarp
Cruisin'

You cannot stop the moisture which is present unless you could create a vacuum plus if it is an older pump which has started to degrade you would need a way to halt the chemical process. Even if you cleaned it and used red oxide it would not stop the rust penetration, maybe slow it down and mask it. As i said it is a interesting new approach but not sure it is the right one. I think your ebay listing is not clear at all either you really make it out to be a replacement pump cover when in fact it is just a splash guard which covers the existing, maybe that's the description you should use for clarity "a splash guard which covers the existing cover "
Old 09-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Custom100
8th Gear

Not sure i agree with you i think our description is very clear : "What we offer is a stainless steel cover and aluminium cover (more cost effective) for the original tandem pump to prevent O2 making contact with it and stopping the oxidation process in the metal. This can be used to protect a new installed pump or fit on top of your existing pump. "
Old 09-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Custom100
8th Gear

We actually definitely do not want people to think we have produced a replacement cover as this has proven to be the wrong approach and I think everyone is very much against risking trialling anything on such a vital component.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Phil977
Intermediate

Hi Custom100, I have been discussing your tandem pump over cover on 911uk.com and am getting one of the stainless steel ones. As you said the replacement pump covers don't seem to work which is a shame.
I have seen the damage caused by the pump rotor connecting with a cover because it was made of a product that was affected more by temperature and environment than the original cover. I have had to buy a new tandem pump which arrived yesterday got it for £275 delivered from Germany so with the cost of your cover its still only about the same price as just the tandem pump from the OPC or design911 etc. For me it's the right fix as I don't want another product that might or might not work . We are talking the Brake Servo failure and I will not take the risk, but your product is a cover over the pump itself so no risk of anything adverse happening just a good long term fix that in Stainless will look good as well I hate looking at rusty bits under my car. Great that someone has got a fix that is not going to potentially damage the pump at some point. As soon as I saw it I knew it was what I needed , are you aware of the other forum 911uk.com maybe you can add something to the discussion on there as well . When mine's fitted I will report back on ease of fitting etc.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:09 PM
Custom100
8th Gear

thanks for your comments Phil977 i am sure you will be happy with your purchase and look forward to your feedback once you have it installed.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:15 AM
alternativecarp
Cruisin'

Hey all, I have the first batch of the new plastic tandem pump cover, I am still waiting fro the full specification report which although I know I cannot sell until I have a paper copy.

I have to say manufacturing is not simple or quick if you want to get it right but I think it will have been worth the investment!

I have these for the Turbo and Non Turbo and I suggest they will officially be on sale next week.

The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (04-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM
alternativecarp
Cruisin'

I should say This is a replacement tandem pump cover so you get to throw the old one away, this is not to be confused with a "Over Cover" which is on sale else where.

Quick Reply: Tamdem Pump Corrosion.