Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deflated tire from puncture at home- what's the best move?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:27 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
You can have the car towed where you like but I'd use Stevens Creek Porsche before I'd let my Porsches be handled by America's Tire Stores. The one in Livermore didn't even know how to jack up my Boxster right. Scary.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks Macster..unfortunately P Stevens Creek was one of my nightmare experiences...service rep was the worst, techs were mediocre until I pressed them for some service issues last round.

If I go to the dealer route it would be P of Fremont.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 AM
vg247
Pro

beden 1, Devil boy..good points, thank you..

Never knew about the mushroom method Damon@ tire rack...will ask about this... Thanks so much guys!!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the worst luck with getting screws and nails in my tires. I get about two a year between all my cars. If I were you I'd first try to fill it up the tire back up. If it's a slow leak you can drive to a local tire repair place that you trust. I get mine repaired all the time at one of two local places.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by daddyscar
I have the worst luck with getting screws and nails in my tires. I get about two a year between all my cars. If I were you I'd first try to fill it up the tire back up. If it's a slow leak you can drive to a local tire repair place that you trust. I get mine repaired all the time at one of two local places.
Thank you daddyscar, appreciate the positive reinforcement from what I've received collectively this will most likely be the route I take once I get home and go from there
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My challenge is that due to local tire shop (Discount Tire) scratching my wheel (Custom painted HRE's) just to patch a tire, I will now ONLY go to dealer as they have a machine that never touches the wheel during removal/installation.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Call roadside assistance to inflate tire until you get home so its not damaged while being deflated.

Monitor and keep inflated.... slow leak should last 2 days ?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I have used a Safety Seal plug kit many times. Several times on 888s and Hoosiers at autocross too. Never had a problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Call roadside assistance to inflate tire until you get home so its not damaged while being deflated.

Monitor and keep inflated.... slow leak should last 2 days ?
I wish I could unfortunately I've been out of town..should be back in an hour to try and resolve this as I just landed.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I have used a Safety Seal plug kit many times. Several times on 888s and Hoosiers at autocross too. Never had a problem.

Many problems can result from plugging a tire from the outside. One of the most common is inserting the tool used to install the plug causes more damage than the original nail etc, often this introduces moisture into the plies, (steel belts anyone) which leads to rusting &/or seperation of the tread belts.
Plugging a tire instantly voids tire warranty.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that producers of quality tires for sportscars i.e. Goodyear, have the proper equipment to handle low profile, wide tires without damage. Therefore, my local Goodyear shop has patched a 275/30/19 and a 295/30/19 with no problem. Most reputable shops wont touch plugging tires like ours because they know of the dangers. Patching, and only in certain areas of the tire, is a valid repair.

Places like Discount Tire may not have the proper equipment resulting in damage. They just sell tires, and most likely rarely, if any, in our needed sizes.

I'd take the wheel off and bring it to them. This way, you don't have to wait for and worry about lift procedures, and of course someone else driving the car.

In a separate incident, AUDI failed to properly torque a front wheel, post suspension repair. All 5 bolts were not seated allowing the wheel to bang back and forth by maybe a millimeter. It seemed like an inch though the way it felt. Moral of the story is I 'm in better control of many things when I limit any repair facility's interaction with my car.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once picked up a nail on the 100 mile drive to my Porsche dealer to have my annual servide done. To this day it annoys me that they sent me home on it with the nail still in the tread rather than patch it for me, like I asked them to. It was a Boxster I knew I wasn't going to be keeping too much longer, so I really didn't feel like spending money on 2 new rear tires (since they were worn).....

So yea, Porsche dealers will not patch a tire. Trust me.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocco07
...- Moral of the story is I 'm in better control of many things when I limit any repair facility's interaction with my car.
+1 from me as well on this, for all the cars I have ever owned, regardless of dealer or reputable shop for any work (tint, mechanical, etc)..the less they touch it the better.

Landed today and prior to going to the local Wheelworks, I had to use the sealant compound from the car and compressor to bring it to 44psi as the tire was down flat again.

I've been a long time customer so they took me in right away with an appointment done in 20mins. They dismounted the tire and did a combo patch/plug fix ..short drive home TPMS pressures were holding well. I wont get to drive it far and at high speeds until I return next week (one last long week of work) then I'll finally know the quality of the work, They charged nothing
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

We visited this topic several years ago repeatedly when the 997 first came out. Porsche will generally not plug or patch a tire--liability concerns drive everything these days.

If you can wait until you return, do that.

I absolutely do not trust tire shops with my car. Period. What I will do it jack up the car, pull the wheel(s) and take it (them) into a tire shop for repair or replacement.

How you drive your car can affect how you chose to repair it. I took a hit years ago on my 1981 Turbo and I was so ticked off that I had just put new tires on it within the month. I had taken a large steel wire (and I do mean large for a wire) in through the tread, and it wound up poking out through the sidewall. Any sane Porsche Pilot would tell you to replace that tire--but I'm not that sane, so I had the tire patched, and also put in a tube. The tire performed beautifully throughout the rest of that set of tires' life. If you are not squealing tires up and down Route 1 then just patch it from the inside and go for it. If you do driving events with your club then just buy a new tire if it bothers you. Unless you specifically have wheel and tire insurance for your car the dealership will wind up replacing that tire. (I got the wheel and tire insurance for up to 100,000 miles and ten years with my extended warranty).
Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
My challenge is that due to local tire shop (Discount Tire) scratching my wheel (Custom painted HRE's) just to patch a tire, I will now ONLY go to dealer as they have a machine that never touches the wheel during removal/installation.
Plenty of independent tire shops have equipment equal to or better than the dealerships. I've used one of them for the past 5 years and they don't even leave fingerprints on the wheels when they're done. Less than half the cost of what the dealer charges.

Quick Reply: Deflated tire from puncture at home- what's the best move?