Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Misc sound coming from bottom of car, please don't be an IMS problem..(2006 997S)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 AM
JapaDog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Misc sound coming from bottom of car, please don't be an IMS problem..(2006 997S)

Hi guys,

my car starts developing this weird sound about 4 days ago.

It's like a buzzing sound coming out somewhere from the rear of the car, I'm not sure what it is but I worry it has something to do with the infamous IMS issue.

Here's the symptoms:

1. Doesn't always happen; in fact, sometimes I can't even replicate the situation at all.
2. Every time when I take the car out with a cold start or just driving around normally, this sound won't occur.
3. Only after a hard drive consisting a few downshift, that the sound starts occurring.
4. does not happen at idle
5. goes away at 2000 rpm

My car is a 2006 997 C2S at 44,000 miles. I've attached a video of what the sound is, it's in the background right behind the light rev.

FYI, The car idles normally; it's me that's doing the light revving.

I really hope and appreciate if anyone can give me some insight on what the problem is. I'm losing sleep thinking this can mean a full engine replacement.

here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDNzBsoKbHg
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
JapaDog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing, I went through some of the service history and found a citation that states there is "a little chatter to the clutch, can be caused by the dual mass flywheel, please monitor"

The report was filed on the car's 30,000km service report so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the sound. This weird sound only starts occurring a few days ago.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Japa,
I wish I could help but I would honestly stop driving it before you do any/additional damage to the car. Have it looked at ASAP. You don't want to be driving and blowing a $20K motor that could have been fixed. Could be something simple but why take the chance. Good luck
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 AM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a clutch plate rubbing. try while depressing and releasing the pedal ( which should be releasing and pressing the clutch plate)
Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe a cracked bracket on the exhaust? Do you have PSE? That exhaust is prone to cracking some of it's support tabs. Try pushing down on the tips, one side at a time, and see if it changes the sound. This sound seems like it's louder than a cracked bracket though.

Also try the clutch petal and see if it changes the sound.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Could you remove your oil filter(it's paper) and cut it open.. spread it out flat. An IMS issue would typically start to show some metal bits in the filter. Post some pics if you like. When did you last change the oil/oil filter - time/miles? I would not jump to IMS as being the cause w/o some investigative work. BTW, you can remove the oil filter w/o dumping all 9 qtrs by just removing the oil filter housing and not the oil pan plug. Removing the oil filter housing should just dump ~.5 qtr. GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like a loose something or other with the exhaust system. brackets or internals or something...

Trending Topics

Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

imho it is clutch but best and only way is to let good mechanic to listen to it. our guesses will not help much, it has to be one who knows what to listen for with a stetoscope to locate the source.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Maybe a cracked bracket on the exhaust? Do you have PSE? That exhaust is prone to cracking some of it's support tabs. Try pushing down on the tips, one side at a time, and see if it changes the sound. This sound seems like it's louder than a cracked bracket though.

Also try the clutch petal and see if it changes the sound.
This is what mine had. Muffler shop fixed it free. Sounds like crickets as the broken pieces rub together under certain RPM and steering positions.

My BMW recently had a clutch throw out bearing issue, too.

Quick Reply: Got Misc sound coming from bottom of car, please don't be an IMS problem..(2006 997S)