Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your impression of 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you know that Palm got the boot? He told me he was on Holiday.

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
Looks like someone is jealous of his buddy's 30 day "vacation" and wants one of his own.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Just exactly who was Porsche competing with in the 80-100 K sports car market ?
I think they priced themselves out of the market they had all locked up, and produced a car that is over engineered.
Whoever thought that 997 owners would flock to the 991 like 996 owners flocked to the 997 is probably looking for a new job.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by zanwar
I recently saw a 991 parked next to an aerokit 997 GTS. The GTS was one of the best looking 997s they ever made. But next to the 991 it just looked old.
From the front and behind the wheel, the 997 looks "old" (meaning more visually evocative of earlier generations) compared to a 996. That's one of the primary reasons it sold so well, especially considering that in terms of engineering and performance it was much less changed (initially) from its predecessor than the 991.

There is a tiny minority of Porsche buyers whose genital image is rooted in the newness and expensiveness of their possessions, but by and large I feel the majority of Porsche buyers tend to consider older generations as "vintage" rather than "outdated", and in many cases the older models are coveted above the newer ones. If nothing else we should be grateful to that for the gentleness with which our cars depreciate.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
There are like HUNDREDS of threads on this topic, at the end of the day, some love it, some hate it.

My short summary of 991 (IMO):
- Numb steering (electric vs. hydrolic)
- More GT than past gens (more quiet, comfy, less sporty)
- Panamera Interior, more luxury, less sporty
- Great handling, but poor 911 handling dynamics (lookup Adias posts on this)
- Better exhaust than 997.2, not as good as 997.1
- Engine just about the same as 997.2
- Maintenance gonna be much more difficult/costly with poor engine access
- Very pricy if optioned, getting close to GT3 and Turbo pricing with must-have options
- Biggest 911 yet, least curves of all generations
- Overall, a great car, but not a great 911

What he said. To me the 997 just looks more "911 like".
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Personally, I like change and I especially like the changes Porsche made in 2009 to the 997.2; specifically the radio/Navi and engine . The black face of the 997 Navi looks much better than the silver controls in my car. Obviously, the Direct Injection and elimination of the IMS were excellent upgrades but esthetically the interior of the 997.2 makes me a little jealous.

I know some of the 911 minimalist hate the Navi and the progressiveness it represents. If my 2008 911 C2S didn't have the Navi option or Bose option...I'd still own one. If the 911 was completely minimalist I may even like it better.

Perhaps the 991 takes the progression too far. The first time I saw a 911 was in Flint, Michigan outside my high school. It was a Red 1984 911 and I saw it catching the bus outside my school. I thought to myself, "OMG....what a beautiful car, I want one." The 964 came out and the turbo version made me lust for the car even more. That whale tail flipped me out. The 993 came out and I was even more affectionate with the beauty but it was still out of my reach. The 996 was introduced and I drove the 911 for the first time. My buddy managed a Porsche dealership so he let me drive the 996 and I couldn't believe the horse power and engine advancement. The 997 came out and I couldn't live any longer without owning this car so I bought a 2008 C2S. It is by far the sexiest car I've ever owned and many people I talk to are amazed with my car. The complements I receive are sometimes embarrassing.

The 991 doesn't make me feel this way. I'd easily admit to everyone if I coveted the 991 but I don't...it doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather buy two or three more older 911's before I'd buy a one 991. With $120k I could spend $25k on a nice 964 and fix it up nicely. I could find a mid 80's 911 for $30-40k and spend a few years restoring it and make it beautiful. I would even have money left to buy a 993 and trick it out for track days. The kids are grown and I have the money to buy a 991 but I won't. Once the lease is up on my wifes car I'm buying an old 911 or 993 to fix up. If Porsche goes back to its roots in the next model then I'll sell both cars and buy a new 911.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Point taken.

Originally Posted by PHX 911
See, this is the problem...another post in a 997 Forum, that has nothing to do with 997's, or is relative to the threads original topic.

The "do something about it" comment, I admit, did take me back to my childhood. Last time I heard that, I think I was 10.

Per request, I did search for any gratification associated with being a Member. Nope, didn't find any. I just thought it worth it, and had an additional benefit of opening up other forums, rather than pollute a forum that supposed to be about 997's only. I did find my used Tubi exhaust in the member-member classifieds; a forum you don't have access to, and I admit I was gratified by that purchase.
Also, per request, searched for post count being equated with "contributing", and found no correlation there, whatsoever. That's the essence of my point to you, is to only post when it's on the threads topic, you have something positive to say, and have some respect for other folks here that take issue with threads being hijacked. That's a suggestion btw, not a directive. I know you have no other
place to post, hence, the suggestion to become a Member and open
up other forums to you.

Please notice I called you no names, didn't threaten that I'd beat you
up on the playground, nor hurl personal insults.

I hope I now qualify for a nickname, and look forward to what you come up with if I'm so fortunate.

As to the topic, the side-by-side shots of the 991 & 997 did give me a greater appreciation of the new cars styling.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one finds the 991 too modern, then there is an alternative. Singer. A very expensive alternative

http://autos.sympatico.ca/premium-fe...-singer/30#glr
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Incredible.

Originally Posted by krysFly
If one finds the 991 too modern, then there is an alternative. Singer. A very expensive alternative

http://autos.sympatico.ca/premium-fe...-singer/30#glr
Old 09-09-2012, 02:59 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Personally, I like change and I especially like the changes Porsche made in 2009 to the 997.2; specifically the radio/Navi and engine . The black face of the 997 Navi looks much better than the silver controls in my car. Obviously, the Direct Injection and elimination of the IMS were excellent upgrades but esthetically the interior of the 997.2 makes me a little jealous.

I know some of the 911 minimalist hate the Navi and the progressiveness it represents. If my 2008 911 C2S didn't have the Navi option or Bose option...I'd still own one. If the 911 was completely minimalist I may even like it better.

Perhaps the 991 takes the progression too far. The first time I saw a 911 was in Flint, Michigan outside my high school. It was a Red 1984 911 and I saw it catching the bus outside my school. I thought to myself, "OMG....what a beautiful car, I want one." The 964 came out and the turbo version made me lust for the car even more. That whale tail flipped me out. The 993 came out and I was even more affectionate with the beauty but it was still out of my reach. The 996 was introduced and I drove the 911 for the first time. My buddy managed a Porsche dealership so he let me drive the 996 and I couldn't believe the horse power and engine advancement. The 997 came out and I couldn't live any longer without owning this car so I bought a 2008 C2S. It is by far the sexiest car I've ever owned and many people I talk to are amazed with my car. The complements I receive are sometimes embarrassing.

The 991 doesn't make me feel this way. I'd easily admit to everyone if I coveted the 991 but I don't...it doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather buy two or three more older 911's before I'd buy a one 991. With $120k I could spend $25k on a nice 964 and fix it up nicely. I could find a mid 80's 911 for $30-40k and spend a few years restoring it and make it beautiful. I would even have money left to buy a 993 and trick it out for track days. The kids are grown and I have the money to buy a 991 but I won't. Once the lease is up on my wifes car I'm buying an old 911 or 993 to fix up. If Porsche goes back to its roots in the next model then I'll sell both cars and buy a new 911.
I'm a proud new owner of a 2012 911 GTS cabriolet (with the black GTS wheels) and I agree with your sentiments. This is my first Porsche having recently sold my '09 Corvette ZO6. As much as I enjoyed the raw power and handling of my ZO6, I finally realized that what I was seeking was a more retro sports car, which I found in my new car. It kind of brings me back to my youth when I had MGs. To me, this Porsche feels like a grown up's MG as crazy as that might sound.

I tested and strongly considered the 991, but I just felt more in tune with this car.

P.S.: I actually loved the new Boxster more than I did the 991, and based on the extensive test drive I had, I bet the new Cayman will be spectacular in it's handling.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by beden1
I'm a proud new owner of a 2012 911 GTS cabriolet (with the black GTS wheels) and I agree with your sentiments. This is my first Porsche having recently sold my '09 Corvette ZO6. As much as I enjoyed the raw power and handling of my ZO6, I finally realized that what I was seeking was a more retro sports car, which I found in my new car. It kind of brings me back to my youth when I had MGs. To me, this Porsche feels like a grown up's MG as crazy as that might sound.

I tested and strongly considered the 991, but I just felt more in tune with this car.

P.S.: I actually loved the new Boxster more than I did the 991, and based on the extensive test drive I had, I bet the new Cayman will be spectacular in it's handling.
Niceeee!
Love your 991!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

2012 GTS is still the 997 I believe.

Originally Posted by El Fredo
Niceeee!
Love your 991!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Nice car. I like the color but I'm partial to red. I also considered a Z06 because my dad worked for GM but in the end couldn't see myself in the Vette. Glad you went with the 911!!!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 PM
beden1
Pro

Nice car. I like the color but I'm partial to red. I also considered a Z06 because my dad worked for GM but in the end couldn't see myself in the Vette. Glad you went with the 911!!!
Thanks! Here are some pics of my car.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Looks like your using snap fish but something is wrong because the pictures are miniature.

Thanks! Here are some pics of my car.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
beden1
Pro

Looks like your using snap fish but something is wrong because the pictures are miniature.
I did use snapfish because it would not upload the images from my computer. I'm new to this forum and don't know how it works. I also can't upload an avatar from my computer, or add a signature. Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Your impression of 991