Sponsored by:

Your impression of 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Your education in the area of anantomy may or may not be "superior" but your knowledge of the Lotus Europa is apparently somewhat lacking.
Hardly, although the last time I drove a Lotus the gear lever was on the correct side, at my left hand. Look again at your own examples and note how much higher/taller the gear **** is from the level of the console in the Lotus. Imagine your hand rested on the **** of the Lotus, and then do your best to imagine how much farther from the console your elbow would be than it would in the 991. The saving grace in the 991 is that the lever throw is much shorter than I recall it was in the Lotus. It's not that much of an issue for me, there are certainly other distractions and detractions in the 991 to make this one seem rather minor.

As an aside, from the physiological standpoint, the most naturally-ergonomic Porsches were the ancient ones where the lever emanated from under the dash and made a 75-degree bend toward the driver. Thus the change pattern occurred rather more vertically than horizontally.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Hardly, although the last time I drove a Lotus the gear lever was on the correct side, at my left hand. Look again at your own examples and note how much higher/taller the gear **** is from the level of the console in the Lotus. Imagine your hand rested on the **** of the Lotus, and then do your best to imagine how much farther from the console your elbow would be than it would in the 991. The saving grace in the 991 is that the lever throw is much shorter than I recall it was in the Lotus. It's not that much of an issue for me, there are certainly other distractions and detractions in the 991 to make this one seem rather minor.

As an aside, from the physiological standpoint, the most naturally-ergonomic Porsches were the ancient ones where the lever emanated from under the dash and made a 75-degree bend toward the driver. Thus the change pattern occurred rather more vertically than horizontally.
There's no way your elbow would be closer to the console in the Porsche than in the Lotus while shifting, unless one suffered from some bizarre anatomical anomaly. The seat is lower relative to the gear shift in the Europa as compared to the Porsche, and the console is higher, is not inclined, and goes all the way back to the rear of the cabin. Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Well put Palm....
Not the blowhard and toady show again....i believe these type of antagonistic and arrogant responses from PB are what got him banned the first time around. Wonder how long it takes this time.....
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There's no way your elbow would be closer to the console in the Porsche than in the Lotus while shifting, unless one suffered from some bizarre anatomical anomaly. The seat is lower relative to the gear shift in the Europa as compared to the Porsche, and the console is higher, is not inclined, and goes all the way back to the rear of the cabin. Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
You may be correct, as I said, it's been ages since I drove a Lotus. The 991 felt a bit odd to me, but I didn't find my arm cramping or hitting my elbow. Just slightly less ergonomic than the 997. That's perhaps the gist of my impression of the 991: Not as though it were rubbish compared to the 997, just a host of very subtle departures that, as a whole, amounted to a less enjoyable experience for me.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I was wondering when you were going to chime in DB.

It doesn't sound like the Palm was ever banned but rather on vacation for a few weeks; according to an earlier post. I'm sure with your 12 post/year average and the dedication you show on this forum you'll help bring out the best in all of us. The Palm's posts only seem arrogant to the small minded. Some of us can decern both points of view even though we may not agree.

Perhaps you should keep your antagonizing comments to yourself and try to stay on topic.

Have a great day!

Originally Posted by vern1
Not the blowhard and toady show again....i believe these type of antagonistic and arrogant responses from PB are what got him banned the first time around. Wonder how long it takes this time.....
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes and your comment about way to go palm was so on topic....it still amazes me that you dont see the hypocrisy in your own comments

Anyways, I am not going to get in to it with you as history has shown you will just go completely off the rails and insult every sexual/ethnic and religious group. I just figured you would have learned from the past but guess not
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone looking closely at purchasing a 991 would be wise to check out the "Maintenance on the 991" thread over on the 991 forum. If you're anything like me, it will only make you love your 997 that much more.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

The above youtube video shows what has to be done to get to the air filters. It's complicated.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I was only making light of the utter rediculous, "Well Put" by the other biased poster.

If you want to see amazing....Perhaps you should check out Sharapova....she is amazing.

Originally Posted by vern1
Yes and your comment about way to go palm was so on topic....it still amazes me that you dont see the hypocrisy in your own comments

Anyways, I am not going to get in to it with you as history has shown you will just go completely off the rails and insult every sexual/ethnic and religious group. I just figured you would have learned from the past but guess not
Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I'm really sort of embarrassed for Porsche.

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
The above youtube video shows what has to be done to get to the air filters. It's complicated.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm really sort of embarrassed for Porsche.
Wow, like an early 80's french car!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 PM
krysFly
Instructor

The new 991 is just a natural evolution of today's automotive market, which includes many technological advances. Some current Porsche owners might
(as evident by many posts and threads) view it as sacrilegious, but the changes in the design of the new generation have to meet and/or exceed the market competitors. Its a bottom line business objective.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering when you were going to chime in DB.

It doesn't sound like the Palm was ever banned but rather on vacation for a few weeks; according to an earlier post. I'm sure with your 12 post/year average and the dedication you show on this forum you'll help bring out the best in all of us. The Palm's posts only seem arrogant to the small minded. Some of us can decern both points of view even though we may not agree.

Perhaps you should keep your antagonizing comments to yourself and try to stay on topic.

Have a great day!
You have absolutely zero room to call out a contributing member of this site for his "dedication", when he has ponied up the paltry sum of $18, to support the forum, whilst (I've been waiting to use "while" with a "t"), you haven't.
I became a member the first day I signed on here, as the value of information gleaned here far exceeded the membership cost, and as a member, it opens up other forums that are more appropriate for "Off Topic" comments.
So this particular post stays on topic, I agree with Krysfly's comment relative to technology and marketing, which are pretty much one in the same, these days.
If you're concerned about removing panels to do maintenance on a current high performance car, put a Ferrari on a lift, and the first thing you do is remove the pans to access anything. There are performance reasons for that.
Speaking of performance, rather than have a "proper" manual gear box, I opted for 2 manual gearboxes, with 2 clutches within, that reduced my 0-60 mph time by .4 seconds over the "proper" transmission. Instead of some visceral experience that was a pain in traffic, I opted for being 3 car lengths, at least, 0-60. Call me lazy, but I call that faster, and I bought the car for it's performance...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OP - Not sure I want or need to step off into this discussion considering the replies alreay cover the gambit. But I do presently own a 2010 C4S Cab with PDK. I have driven the 991 (don't own one) several times, all PDK's from casual test drives at the dealer to a few laps at the Porsche World Roadshow event in Aug., so I'm not an expert on the 991 just a modestly informed consumer.

Each time I get in it I find something new to like or dislike. But I have to say my dislikes are minor. If I were in the market for a new 911 base, S, 4, or 4S I'd give the 991 a shot. If I wanted a GTS or a TT, I think a new 997.2 can still be ordered (I know you can order the TT) and there are many GTS's at the dealers, at least in CA. Nonetheless, as with any car in this price range, IMO you must drive it a lot and really, really understand the options. The wrong configuration for your needs will make you dislike any car, be it a 997.2 or a 991.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnfp6...layer_embedded

Anyone looking closely at purchasing a 991 would be wise to check out the "Maintenance on the 991" thread over on the 991 forum. If you're anything like me, it will only make you love your 997 that much more.
Thanks very much for the video.

Cars nowadays sure are getting more and more complicated... I guess someone in the video said it right, "Like peeling an onion."

Quick Reply: Your impression of 991