Sponsored by:

Steering wheel sizes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Pedro.x
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel sizes???

Hi all, newbie with 997 cs, love my new car to bits but one little thing bugs me, being 6'3" I find it a little hard to find the perfect driving position , tryred most things seat adjust and steering wheel adjust full up, but still find steering wheel on my knees when changing gear, also uncomfortable , the only answer I can think off is a smaller steering wheel. Is there such a thing from a different model does anyone know?or a flatt bottom wheel would help, any ideas?. Are all 997 wheels the same size? What size are they? 320?? Or anything after market ???

Many thanks Pete.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6' 1" and I don't have any problems but maybe you have really long legs. What kind of seats do you have? Does your steering wheel telescope out?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro.x
Hi all, newbie with 997 cs, love my new car to bits but one little thing bugs me, being 6'3" I find it a little hard to find the perfect driving position , tryred most things seat adjust and steering wheel adjust full up, but still find steering wheel on my knees when changing gear, also uncomfortable , the only answer I can think off is a smaller steering wheel. Is there such a thing from a different model does anyone know?or a flatt bottom wheel would help, any ideas?. Are all 997 wheels the same size? What size are they? 320?? Or anything after market ???

Many thanks Pete.
I'm 6'3" too and what you describe is how I feel in a Boxster or Cayman. In the 997 though there's plenty of room and I spread out. Play more with the seat settings and the steering wheel settings. You should be able to get comfortable with room to spare.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your original question, I don't know if different size steering wheels are available. My car has the sport steering wheel (round airbag). I believe there are aftermarket wheels.

I'm 6'3" as well (34" inseam) and 245 lbs, and have been able to find a comfortable position. That said, I prefer the seat back a bit more upright than many other people I know.

This is the adjustment procedure I use, which worked in both my 997 and my 993 before it (except the 993 didn't have an adjustable steering column):

Put the seat all the way back, and seat bottom all the way down front/back. Adjust the seat back to where the steering wheel hits your wrists when you stretch your arms out (alternatively or in conjunction, telescope the steering wheel). If needed, adjust the steering wheel up so you can see all of the tach (I frequently need to do this the first time in a car due to the seat back angle). Then raise the front of the seat bottom to where it's comfortable.

Hope this helps...

-Chris

Last edited by Chris W. - '96 Targa; 08-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

6'1 and the seat all the way back is too far. Tilt wheel up. Put seat down.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel sizes???